Need Help! Bending a solid to a curve.

Thread: Bending a solid to a curve.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Bending a solid to a curve.

Please show a path to bending, attaching, deforming a solid/extrusion to an arc. Perhaps extruding to an arc it the first place?. Please see photo. I need to fit the profile 4"X 6" x 96" to the arcs shown at the right. Some of my softwares call it arc-fit. Its a simple feature, does Bob have such a feature for solids?

Thanks!!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bending a solid to a curve.-bend-solid-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bending a solid to a curve.

Don't do much solid modeling,but checking out the sweep functions under surfaces would be first try

A problem I am thinking,might be if the arcs are too much,,you might get a "wrinkling" effect

Good news,,lot smarter people on here will correct me/or add to what I just posted

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a quick visual on sweeping a shape on a path.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you! I had success with the drawing but not so with toolpaths . . . one step at a time. Thanks again!!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you. I had success with the drawing but not so with toolpaths . . . one step at a time. Thanks again!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Upload a .bbcd file,,,

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This a scaled part. The actual project is a 4" X 6" profile X about 84" The cutter for that will be 3 1/2 X 1 3/4 R. I had success with a straight section, but lost it in curves. I am new to Bob 3D currently using V28 3 Axis Pro. We have other jazz like Art, 4 Axis, blah, blah. Thanks!

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Your draw is segmented a lot ?

Run arc fit about .006 or so,so it cleans up like this

Then you have a better model to work with

Just to be clear,,run arc fit on the 2d arc , and then re-sweep it

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bending a solid to a curve.-arc-fit-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That makes sense, I'll try it. But have a look at the original post. It is similar and tooled up nicely. I'm new, but the issue I am having seems to be in boundaries or selected geometry. I get paths/cuts where they, in my humble opinion, should not be. I'll clean it up and see if that's the root. Thank you!

Downloads
    Uploads

In the last couple weeks there has been a couple posts on Boundaries on here

What I am trying to grasp is you explained your cutter dimensions,,and what I seem to understand is you are using a cutter that is 3.500 inches in diameter with a 1.750 inch radius ?????In other words a 3.500 inch ball end mill.Thinking we are not quite understanding ???
    If the above is correct,,,wow
    Can you clarify the tool and I am assumming the material is wood ?
    While we are at it,what are the capalities of the machine for power ?
    Work holding ??
    Reason I am asking is there are many ways to skin this cat,but the size of job is a little (a lot) bigger than what I do

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Correct, it is a 3 1/2 dia x about 2" ball mill and the material is wood. Use a 3/4 ball if desired. I believe we have more HP than the wood can take. Mechanical holding can occur on the overrun (y) and back/table side. Wood, without a chip breaker, can pull a fair chunk of the finished part during aggressive milling. Laminating the blank is 80% of the work. Holding it is 15%.

Historically, we have run this type part on a shaper. We thought that we would try something new . . . to us. That is why we acquired BobCAD.

Climb cutting is often the safer bet, especially on the finish. I am new to allowing the CAM to produce 3D paths. Bob (even in 2.5 D) doesn't seem to think wood nor fine residual material or islands. I see resultant paths that would seemingly work in metal or composites, but in wood there would be a splinter shower. That's okay, until you need to replace the blank.

This type part is one off and will never be run again. The methodology may live on but tweaking the program over time would not occur. Thus run time is not priority number one. I am not sure what the feed speeds will be. I am using 100 IPM for time comparisons.

We are currently planing to program 38 2.5 D parallel paths that will be preceded by a 2.5 D roughing pass/s. That's easy.

However, our thought was that Bob would do the 38 or so passes and then follow with a gazillion moves in Z thus leaving the finest of tool marks. Persuading Bob to think in those moves has eluded us.

Downloads
    Uploads

Damn,,,this is a post with a question that makes great selling points about the power of BoB,,,,
    I am under the gun with work,,but,,,hint AL,,,what a promotional video this could make spending the time to go step by step

I am just so busy,,but I made a clip on what I would try for the roughing routine,,,which you could alter the variables to your liking,,this is just so you get an idea

This is the advanced rough strategy

I am using a 2 inch ball here,,,

BoB is very capable for this,but it is a little advanced from start to finish

If nothinf else,I can help,but may take a few days to go thru it all,,,

Things you need to have a good understanding about are the sweep function,I suggest arc fit,as it makes for cleaner geometry,,Boundaries and Boundaries,Top of part,top of job are very important,the Advanced Rough 3d strategy tool path,Profile 2d tool path w/top and bottom of job,,Equal Distance Offset (that will give you that baby butt smooth finish in the end.)There are many ways to do this,but these are areas key to success.
    On you tube,any of the video's for V26 thru V29 should help give valuable information.
    And the use of LAYERS are going to be very important to keep everything organized.

there are many on here also that can help

Last edited by jrmach; 06-22-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you! Work first.... This is not an emergency.

The hard way wasn't as painful as it sounds. It took about ten minutes.

Like you, I have to get something done or else. I will follow your direction this evening.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hopefully someone that is great at video's can take this project from the very beginning to the end "hint"

So much could be learned from this

On the flip side,I could help you 20X faster if you want via a call,,,PM if desired

Downloads
    Uploads

Well,I really was hoping some others would jump in..there is a little bit to this part from start to finish,and my time is very limited.
    And I ain't no 3D wiz
    2 1/2 d gets er done %95 of the time

I made a video that gives an idea,,much room for adjustment and improvement,,,just to give an idea

For a new user,it can get quite overwhelming for sure to go from start to finish

I can help in that process as time allows

Any and all input from all is welcome,as it may take a while to explain all involved

Downloads
    Uploads

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Am I reading the time correctly at 26 hours? If yes what feed speed. Is it the scaled part or the full 4 x 6 x 80ish inches?

Downloads
    Uploads

Ha,,,I ain't tasking your speeds or feeds mate,,,that was not the question

If I enter a 100 feed,the file as is takes 35 minutes

just trying to give an idea of one strategy to make part

many variables can be adjusted,step-over,step down,intermediated cuts,speeds and feeds,tool sizes,machining tolerance,etc.,etc.

Downloads
    Uploads

I can start step by step from start to finish of how to take the part you uploaded from very start to finish if you are interested

as my free time allows

1st off would be showing how to get a "clean" solid model to work with and get your Boundaries,,all to be on Layers so that everything is organized in a manner to be used in an efficient matter when needed

Then positioning your solid in the right spot

Then creating stock and putting that in the right spot

Lot's of ways to do all this,but matter of preference and keeping in mind the new comer to BoB all goes into the thought process

Got to get this stuff down or you setting yourself up for a time consuming disappointment later when CAM

Last edited by jrmach; 06-24-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I had a good conversation with the OP (Chuck)
    This ain't his first rodeo
    Frustration cause new and different software,and did not sound too delighted with the support in the past
    I believe I answered a lot of his questions and also encouraged him to post more on the Zone with any all problems
    He was interested to hear BoB allows you to write scripts
    That is a little above me
    I think he will be alright for sure
    Glad to have talked with you Chuck