Need Help! Profile cut for mold?

Thread: Profile cut for mold?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Profile cut for mold?

I am making a mold it has a contoured bottom (hills and valleys). I'm able to clean out the bulk of mold fine using a z-level rough and two planar strategies. The problem I'm having is cleanning the side walls of the mould. I'm using a profile cut and it cleans up the sides beautifully, only it cuts right through the contours on the bottom. I've set my depth of cut to the lowest point. How can I get it to follow the bottom countours?

I've attached a picture showing the tool just cutting the profile to 1.0625" depth which is the lowest point but it doesn't come up when it comes to a protrusion,it just cuts right through it? I've extracted a wireframe from the bottom and selected that as well as the top profile wireframe as geometry and it still just chops right through the part.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Profile cut for mold?-cut-jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by jake76; 05-30-2017 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Added file

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Profile cut for mold?

what version of software and standard or pro ?

Without a file ???

explore 3d wireframe for tool path on the sides

you will have to extract the geometry for the tool path from your solid model

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm using v26 PRO. I've been playing with the wireframe, I select the bottom wireframe (geometry) and it ignores it. I tried some different tooling and it's coming out not to bad now but still wouldn't mind knowing the right way to do it. I've attached the file.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jake76 View Post
    I'm using v26 PRO. I've been playing with the wireframe, I select the bottom wireframe (geometry) and it ignores it. I tried some different tooling and it's coming out not to bad now but still wouldn't mind knowing the right way to do it. I've attached the file.
    Hey jake. The profile operation is a 2d path and wont follow up and diwn in z. It will just follow a depth setting, which will be constant.

It will require a 3d toolpath.

Not at home now, but will look at your file later.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Jake, these guys have you on the right path. You have to use the edges of the solid model then offset and translate them accordingly depending on what tooling you are going to use. Then use a 3D wireframe toolpath, NOT a 2D Mill contour.

What tool will you be using to pencil the bottom in? It has a 0.050" radius in there and I didn't see the "perfect" tool in your tool crib. I got a decent result using the 0.125" ball mill you had in there but I'd rather know for sure before going into the steps required to contour the bottom in 3D. It appears to be fairly simple in this case.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mastercam X9/2021 Multiaxis - Bobcad V21-V31 3ax Pro 4ax Std.

Downloads
    Uploads

?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

SBC Cycle

I'm trying to use the existing tools we have. The smallest is 0.125", thats why it's there. I tried to go with a larger radius on the fillets but BC was pretty inconsistent in what it would let me do. I know there will be a fillet depending on the tool diameter so its not critical as long as the edges aren't sharp.

- - - Updated - - -

jrmach

Whats the question?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

jrmach

Whats the question?

I know my questions may seem ameteurish to you but we all started somewhere. I'm not a machinist, I'm trained in Electronic Engineering, the last time I used a CNC was in Uni for cutting PCB's so cut me a little slack.

Downloads
    Uploads

Had not heard from you,,,wondering if you got going,,,that's all

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Had not heard from you,,,wondering if you got going,,,that's all
    We are making a jig for the table now. We ran into a hiccup on the tool change so we just bought the screenset 2010 from a forum member here. Even the first strategy z-level rough was giving better results then what was shown in the simulator. When we get the table jig up, I can test how well the 0.125" bit clears the side. I'm hoping to be able to get the jig table up (mdf board with a hole pattern over the work area) on monday then we can proceed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jake76 View Post
    I'm trying to use the existing tools we have. The smallest is 0.125", thats why it's there. I tried to go with a larger radius on the fillets but BC was pretty inconsistent in what it would let me do. I know there will be a fillet depending on the tool diameter so its not critical as long as the edges aren't sharp.
    Sorry I didn't get back for a while. Awesome, it's not to bad to adust the path for the tool you have if the radius doesn't matter.

Ok so I learned this trick on the old old BobCAD forum and it was for lathe turning (to account for Tool Nose Radius). Once I understood what was going on I learned how to do it in 2.5 axis and 3D as well.

So the short version is, you want to offset the bottom "profile" by the tool radius (the tool you will be using). Then translate that offset profile down in Z by the same amount. You have to translate it back down because BobCAD's 3D engrave function works only by the tip of the tool. This will be the geometry for the 3D engrave function.

Here is a pic for a visual: (And don't forget to watch the walls of your mold too. I grabbed the edges of your model created by the 0.050" fillet. I had to move the profile off the wall of the mold to avoid a gouge, there is no diameter offsetting in the 3D engrave function! It just follows the path.)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Profile cut for mold?-mold3-2017-06-06-22-48-02-a  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mastercam X9/2021 Multiaxis - Bobcad V21-V31 3ax Pro 4ax Std.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks SBC for the help.