Problem Usable Path from BC Solid Model to 3D Printable STL?

Thread: Usable Path from BC Solid Model to 3D Printable STL?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Usable Path from BC Solid Model to 3D Printable STL?

I'm beginning to suspect I need to learn an alternate package as even simple models using a couple of Booleans created in BC seem to have more bugs than an anthill once exported as an STL and won't slice and print properly, they also seem too damaged for Netfabb to repair :-(
    Has anyone had the same experience or found a workaround to get a good mesh from a BC model?
    Thanks,
    - Nick

Similar Threads:
    I quite like targeted ads if they're not intensely annoying so I'll enable ads when your advertisers stop using annoying sounds, annoying slideshows and annoying animations

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I'm beginning to suspect I need to learn an alternate package as even simple models using a couple of Booleans created in BC seem to have more bugs than an anthill once exported as an STL and won't slice and print properly, they also seem too damaged for Netfabb to repair :-(
    Has anyone had the same experience or found a workaround to get a good mesh from a BC model?
    Thanks,
    - Nick
    Yeah, the stl converter can be probkematic for translation to other platforms. To be fair, they dont advertise as "your 3d printing solution"!!!

I can help you out. You can run your output into meshlab and look at the result. Usually you'll need to run the unify normals filter. Then save it out.

If you can post an example, i'll take a look at it with you.

There are other options if you want to, or have to do this alot. I personally use another software (which you have to buy), with the best mesher in the business.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Usable Path from BC Solid Model to 3D Printable STL?

Thanks BurrMan, I had a suspicion I was on a hiding to nothing after 5 tries with different construction methods, all partial successes ;-)
    I got the C++ re-distributable install fail thing with Meshlab so couldn't try that, but I'm now resigned to alternate CAD, suggestions would be welcome, I prefer something I can buy rather than rent though

- Nick

I quite like targeted ads if they're not intensely annoying so I'll enable ads when your advertisers stop using annoying sounds, annoying slideshows and annoying animations

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm now resigned to alternate CAD, suggestions would be welcome, I prefer something I can buy rather than rent though

- Nick
    Hey Nick, well its less "alternate cad" and more of an alternate "mesh generation" from your cad data...

So here's a gem for you. Get youself a copy of MoI3d.

It will be an awesome companion to your cad workflow. Its aim is "fast and easy" but is far more powerful and useful than appears. The mesh generation will get you 3d printing your cad stuff. You can send your bobcad stuff over and use it as just a mesher.

Check it out. Moment of inspiration. It's being written by Michael Gibson, the creator of rhino3d.

""""I prefer something i can buy""""""

Yup. The licensing is top notch! Here's a kicker. The diwnload is just a hair over 10mb. The install is just under 50mb. INSANE!!! oh, and it WILL RUN OFF OF A USB STICK!!!! i ALWAYS have it on me!!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    So here's a gem for you. Get youself a copy of MoI3d.

It will be an awesome companion to your cad workflow. Its aim is "fast and easy" but is far more powerful and useful than appears. The mesh generation will get you 3d printing your cad stuff. You can send your bobcad stuff over and use it as just a mesher.
    BurrMan,
    The assistance is much appreciated, I've downloaded the trial version to check out, if it does what I need then I'll buy it as the price is very good,
    Can I prevail upon you slightly further to suggest the best file format based on your experience for exporting from BCC for use in MOI and a quick outline of the work-flow ?
    Many Thanks,
    Nick

Last edited by magicniner; 05-30-2017 at 06:13 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update.
    I tried STEP and IGES exports from BCC, opened in MOI, deleted some duplicated, vertically translated objects from the IGES version then saved out from MOI as STL.
    Loading the STL files into netfabb showed both with some issues but netfabb was able to auto-repair the better looking of the two, the IGES format.
    The print came out spot on!
    Thanks again for your help with this! I'll try a few more test parts and if all goes as expected I'll be buying an MOI license and then some printable wax, I might get some use out of my foundry equipment yet!
    Regards,
    Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

Update.
    I tried STEP and IGES exports from BCC, opened in MOI, deleted some duplicated, vertically translated objects from the IGES version then saved out from MOI as STL.
    Loading the STL files into netfabb showed both with some issues but netfabb was able to auto-repair the better looking of the two, the IGES format.
    The print came out spot on!
    Thanks again for your help with this! I'll try a few more test parts and if all goes as expected I'll be buying an MOI license and then some printable wax, I might get some use out of my foundry equipment yet!
    Regards,
    Nick
    Hey nick,
    In your export dialogue, be sure to enter a value in the "divide larger than" field and also select "all" in the dropdown. This will dice any long, stretched out poly's which can be problematic. Play with the divide number and angle slider to generate a nice, even mesh. I dont know netfabb, but alot of the printers now support obj. You can try that too, which will minimize the triangles and use quads when it can.

Be sure the readout of your selected object is "solid" (upper right corner).

Save sends everything. Export sends only whats selected.

"What format i use"?

It depends. Almost never use step. A combination of iges, sat and 3dm. It depends on the geometry i'm transfering and also the translated result. It's ok to use all 4!

You wont be sorry.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is my youtube channel where i post MoI stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/user/BurrManator

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    This is my youtube channel where i post MoI stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/user/BurrManator
    Subscribed!
    I have a few weeks going spare while my shoulder surgery heals ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a few weeks going spare while my shoulder surgery heals ;-)
    Damn. Had my hip done. Came back 100%.... blew out my shoulder. Unrepairable! Quit playing hockey. Put on 50 lbs...

Be sure to follow your rehab ALL THE WAY. Old dogs try to make their comback to soon, and ruin all the nice work. Good luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Burr!
    I've been obediently resting and doing prescribed exercises only, left hand only keyboard and researching my problem ;-)
    I've found that if I leave them as separate solids rather than joining them in BCC then it will export the simpler building blocks of the parts I need as good stl files, I can then assemble them in an stl orientated package.
    I will continue to learn another modelling package but this allows me to hit the ground running with usable printed parts.
    ATB,
    Nick

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Burr!
    I've been obediently resting and doing prescribed exercises only, left hand only keyboard and researching my problem ;-)
    I've found that if I leave them as separate solids rather than joining them in BCC then it will export the simpler building blocks of the parts I need as good stl files, I can then assemble them in an stl orientated package.
    I will continue to learn another modelling package but this allows me to hit the ground running with usable printed parts.
    ATB,
    Nick
    Righteous!