Need Help! Emboss jpg image to solid model?

Thread: Emboss jpg image to solid model?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Emboss jpg image to solid model?

Are there any tutorial videos on how to import a jpg file,emboss it and apply it to an existing solid model? I've found several on how to just do a basic sign from stock but none on how to apply it to a finished solid model. I've tried using explode and then "project curves to surface" but this is not working for the imported vectorised graphic. Exploding and "project curves to surface" worked for the text I need to place on the model but not the imported .jpg.

Would the proper procedure be explode and project to surface then emboss or emboss then somehow attach it to the model?

I'm using v26 with BoBaRT the model is 3d. The stock for the model is already defined and was selecte to acomodate the embossed graphic. If you need anymore information just ask.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Emboss jpg image to solid model?

You might find this video useful.

Not so much about BobART, but instead how to project geometry down onto a surface and then create toolpath for engraving.

Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks AL. I was at that webinar actually.

Unfourtanetly that isn't really helping me. Is there any reason in v26 as to why I wouldn't be able to project an imported and vectorisied image on to a surface? I followed the same procedure I used succsefully for text that is

explode->project curves to surface

That worked for the text although sometimes it would take a few clicks (v26 bug ?) but it worked, it isn't however working when I try to do it with the imported image file.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jake76 View Post
    Thanks AL. I was at that webinar actually.

Unfourtanetly that isn't really helping me. Is there any reason in v26 as to why I wouldn't be able to project an imported and vectorisied image on to a surface? I followed the same procedure I used succsefully for text that is

explode->project curves to surface

That worked for the text although sometimes it would take a few clicks (v26 bug ?) but it worked, it isn't however working when I try to do it with the imported image file.
    I'm a little confused. You are talking about projecting geometry onto a surface and also talking about embossing an image onto a surface. 2 different things.

If you are looking to "engrave", then vectorizing the image and projecting the curves will be the way to go.

If you are "embossing", then it will be slightly different. What I would do is "Do an Emboss from solid or component, depending, Selecting your surface or solid, etc, then do another emboss from image on top of that.... 3d toolpath it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks BurrMan

I'm new to BobCad a couple of weeks of use.

What I'm trying to do is put a company logo on a part, he wants it raised not carved into the part. The part is completed and has a working machine strategy, it's trying to get the graphic logo and text on the part thats throwing a wrench in the works. I've noticed that with the txt I projected to the surface, when I do a pocketing strategy, it cuts into the actual part,also a problem.

So you recommend "Do an Emboss from solid or component"? I'll try that. Would the imported image need to be vectorisied and projected to the surface? Or is there another way to get the image where I want it. I'll try again but for some reason projecting the image to surface doesn't work. Project curves to surface even for the text was a bit buggy, needing several clicks and a delay before it actually did it. I'm wondering if this is maybe a bug with v26?

Downloads
    Uploads

it's not a bug it's just a lot of geometry so it takes a moment to "populate" . The steps I've show in the webinar are the steps you would follow for what you are after...

1) Are you running V26 Standard or Pro
    2) Do you have BobART?
    3) Can you attach a copy of the logo you are trying to emboss please.

Al DePoalo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Al

We are running Pro with Bobart.

I asked my employer if I could attach it, and he said no. I can send it to your *webinar email if thats ok with you? Subject logo.

I'm sure it's something stupid I'm doing/not doing but its just starting to eat up too much time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes please email me the logo. There are a number of ways to go about this, project geometry and 3 axis wire frame can work for what you are after, or we could use the emboss image.... Once I see what we are working with I can give a little better direction for your specific part. BTW did you join the BobCAD After Dark Facebook group yet?

Al DePoalo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Al

I sent you the logo. I also sent you pictures of the part so you can see what I'm trying to do. I haven't joined your FB yet but I will.
    I appreciate all the videos you put up, they have helped me progress much quicker then just using help files.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I have you logo and the screen shots of the part. Based on the logo you're going to want to simply the design. There is a lot going on with the logo and you'll have to make some design choices to get a desired result based on run time and appearance.

As far as what you are projecting it on, it's a flat surface. There is no taper or curvature to the where you want the logo and text to go. So really the question become how to I create a cool looking log with text that is raised.

Al DePoalo

Downloads
    Uploads

So you say you want it to be raised, do you know which parts, the text, the geometric shapes, the water look, the fish?

Al DePoalo

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the quickest way to get what you are after is using a v carve toolpath. This will get the letters and shapes raised, and give you the look you are after.

Al DePoalo

Downloads
    Uploads

This video should help, I also sent you back a file and some screen shots.

Al DePoalo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awsome Al thank you.

He wants it all raised for now it's a prototype so he wants to try the text and image in various places and sizes to see what looks best.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Al

I can't open your file it says it was saved with a newer version. I'm using v26.

Downloads
    Uploads

I sent you a V29 file....

So I just saved the file as an iges and set it up in V26. The text didn't come along, but it's only showing you concept anyway. Same as what was in the video I posted....

Al DePoalo

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Al.