Need Help! Bobcad is painfully slow on any computer V26 also tested demo V29. Why? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bobcad is painfully slow on any computer V26 also tested demo V29. Why?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bobcad is painfully slow on any computer V26 also tested demo V29. Why?

Tchapman,

It looks like you have a newer system, and as someone mentioned earlier, they usually come with 2 video outputs, 1 being the built in intel chipset, which is attached to the processor, and the other is the Nvidia card. The software will not automatically default to using the Nvidia card. In order to get the nvidia card to recognize that it needs to be used for BobCAD, you must set it through the Nvidia control panel. Please follow the instructions below in order to do this.

1. Right-Click on the desktop
    2. Select Nvidia Control Panel
    3. On the left hand side of the control panel, select Manage 3d Settings
    4. Select the Program Settings tab
    5. Add BobCAD-CAM as a program on this list
    6. Change the graphics output to Use High Performance Video Card
    7. Select Apply

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bobcad is painfully slow on any computer V26 also tested demo V29. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDa View Post
    Tchapman,

It looks like you have a newer system, and as someone mentioned earlier, they usually come with 2 video outputs, 1 being the built in intel chipset, which is attached to the processor, and the other is the Nvidia card. The software will not automatically default to using the Nvidia card. In order to get the nvidia card to recognize that it needs to be used for BobCAD, you must set it through the Nvidia control panel. Please follow the instructions below in order to do this.

1. Right-Click on the desktop
    2. Select Nvidia Control Panel
    3. On the left hand side of the control panel, select Manage 3d Settings
    4. Select the Program Settings tab
    5. Add BobCAD-CAM as a program on this list
    6. Change the graphics output to Use High Performance Video Card
    7. Select Apply
    Sean,
    Is there anything in the Nvidia drivers that can be profiled for BobCad? Maybe asking the devs if they can come up with anything...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK I was not aware that you could use either GPU. I had looked for a settings for the Nvidea and only found the GE experience program, which does nothing to help. So tonight I somehow stumbled across another Nvidea setting screen and indeed it has a 3D settings and you can add Bobcad to the list of apps that will be assigned to the Nvidea. Sure enough this thing is blazing fast. I can drag that large file around instantly with no noticeable lag. Such a massive difference. I appreciate the suggestions on this, I was pretty bummed out with the results but I have to say this is radical now. Thanks for the suggestions guys, saved the day.

I included the little Nvidia app, you can see the selector where you can choose which graphics card is used by Bobcad. There is an obvious difference in fan noise now.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bobcad is painfully slow on any computer V26 also tested demo V29.  Why?-nvidia-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Bingo! Thanks for chiming in Nick and Sean!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Burr,

I put in a request for future versions to automatically set the graphics to the high performance card.

Downloads
    Uploads

Burr,

I put in a request for future versions to automatically set the graphics to the high performance card.
    Thank you kindly, sir.

As an added note, for those "optimizing their system", i would look at disabling the onboard graphics at the bios. I'm not familiar with his bios but at the very least, it should have a "prefered device" setting. Such a righteous card he has!

Now he can go back to performance options and set them to "beautiful" as opposed to performance. I think it was the dual graphics chips that made the difference...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Burr,

There is no need to disable at the bios, it can be done through the nvidia control panel as a global setting. Please look at the attached picture for reference.

Bobcad is painfully slow on any computer V26 also tested demo V29.  Why?-capture-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm not even sure that you can disable the onboard graphics in most newer laptops. Since most Intel CPU's now have decent onboard graphics, they use an automatic switching setup to keep the machine cooler, and extend battery life.
    When I first got my laptop, I looked in the bios to see if I could disable it, and couldn't find that option.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ger,

I believe it varies by manufacturers. Some will give the option, others won't.

Downloads
    Uploads

Burr,

There is no need to disable at the bios, it can be done through the nvidia control panel as a global setting. Please look at the attached picture for reference.

Bobcad is painfully slow on any computer V26 also tested demo V29.  Why?-capture-jpg
    Yeah i got that part. It may be just me from a ways back when "2 cards and driver sets was a bad thing".....

But ger chiming has me consider they have managed it better?

For laptops (which i havent used) it may also be different because you dont have to denote which device to boot to, for monitors etc, which makes my point moot...

But i would imagine he wants everything running off that card.

Maybe the glodal settings on that driver can select the prefered also? As opposed to the program settings alone? (This is just for anything else as he got his bobcad straightened out now)

Been eyeballing a new rig myself. Still havent decided if i'll stay xeon and qquadro or go i7 and titan!!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Burr,

The setting in the picture is the global setting, which you can define if you want the control panel to auto-select,use integrated by default, or use high performance by default.

Downloads
    Uploads

Burr,

The setting in the picture is the global setting, which you can define if you want the control panel to auto-select,use integrated by default, or use high performance by default.
    Sorry Sean, didnt expand the picture on my phone... global it is!

Thanks again!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think it is best to select the Nvidia card as needed. It runs hot and the fan is always running, which can be annoying if you are not using an app that needs it. After a few days of use on the large files, this card is very fast and instant. I tried copying and pasting the 11k elements to see where it would slow down, and easily over 50k elements is was not an issue. I did crash the app when I got over 100k elements. There is no need to turn off layers.

Thanks for the help guys. I highly recommend the Nvidia GTX.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Bobcad is painfully slow on any computer V26 also tested demo V29. Why? SOLVED

I cannot seem to change the status to solved. I can't edit the first post.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is there a small format pci video card that would be a good alternative ?
    GD

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HPbyGD View Post
    Is there a small format pci video card that would be a good alternative ?
    GD
    Alternative to what HP?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The card that they were talking about in this thread was a full size pci express and my computer has the smaller size slot.
    GD

Downloads
    Uploads

The card that they were talking about in this thread was a full size pci express and my computer has the smaller size slot.
    GD
    Ok GD. Sorry, i thought all laptops use mini-pcie. I guess theres a mini-half sized pcie slot on some also?

Downloads
    Uploads

GD
    The OP was definitely talking laptop -

Quote Originally Posted by tchapman1000 View Post
    • ASUS GL753VE-DS74 17.3" Gaming Laptop GTX 1050Ti 4GB Intel Core i7-7700HQ

Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ 2.8GHz (Turbo up to 3.8GHz)
      Windows 10 (64bit)
      16GB DDR4 2400MHz
      17.3" FHD (1920*1080), matte
      NVIDIA GTX1050Ti 4GB GDDR5
      "256GB SATA3 SSD
      1TB (5400 RPM)"
    Have I missed a thread hi-jack or change of focus? :-)

I quite like targeted ads if they're not intensely annoying so I'll enable ads when your advertisers stop using annoying sounds, annoying slideshows and annoying animations

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The OP was definitely talking laptop -

Have I missed a thread hi-jack or change of focus? :-)
    No i dont think you missed anything. I think now there is a "full sized mini pcie" and a "half sized mini pcie"...

I think GD is chiming in on the final "runs hot" comment. But i would suggest that a laptop that runs hot will run hot. Whether an nvidia or amd or whatever.

But i may have missed the point too!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast