Need Help! Looking into Bab-Cad Cam PLEASE GIVE OPINIONS

Thread: Looking into Bab-Cad Cam PLEASE GIVE OPINIONS

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking into Bab-Cad Cam PLEASE GIVE OPINIONS

We are a custom wood shop making all types of millwork and cabinets, currantly using Alphacam and Cabinet Vision. Thinking of replacing Alphacam with Bobcad Pro. Looking for honest opinions about if support is any good, how user friendly it is and how many people in the wood industry use it and other programs they have used as well. We are currantly running an SCM nested base machine.

Thank you in advance for aany help

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking into Bab-Cad Cam PLEASE GIVE OPINIONS

Why are you thinking of changing?
    What's wrong with what you're using, and what do you want to do?
    I currently use AlphaCAM and AutoCAD on a Morbidelli.

To be honest, when you get into larger machines like an SCM, I don't think you'll find many at all using BobCAD.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have had requests in the past few months for some 3d profiling on the z-axis. Not sure how to do it in alphacam or if it can do it.

Thanks for the help.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you already have the model, I've used both MeshCAM and Aspire to do 3D work on our Morbidelli, but I had to create post processors for it. But you'd need to create a post for BobCAD too.

One thing to be aware of, is that machines like that designed for nested manufacturing are usually not very good at 3D cutting. Large 3D toolpaths can require several hundred thousand lines of code. Our Morbidelli will only load about 70,000 lines of code, and even that takes a few minutes to load. It also runs the code rather slowly. If you try to run it too fast, it's jerky.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Shask View Post
    We are a custom wood shop making all types of millwork and cabinets, currantly using Alphacam and Cabinet Vision. Thinking of replacing Alphacam with Bobcad Pro. Looking for honest opinions about if support is any good, how user friendly it is and how many people in the wood industry use it and other programs they have used as well. We are currantly running an SCM nested base machine.

Thank you in advance for aany help
    Well some answers to your questions

The support from BobCad is top notch.

The CAM side is easy to learn, everything is logical.

The CAD side as used for creating boundaries and similar is tricky to get your head around if you are used to Autocad or similar.

Dont know about the wood working industry, but I use it to machine patterns in epoxy tooling block, regulary run 300,000 to 400,000 line programmes.

Barrie

Barrie @ Composite Specialities Ltd. using BobCAD V30 Mill 3 axis Pro, Bricscad V14 and MOI V3 with CNC-Step High Z 1000S and Wabeco CC-F1210

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm new here and a month or so new to CAD CAM, I chose BOB Cad Cam because after studying what is available, I figured its the best bang for the buck. There is a learning curve, but there is that with anything. What is very nice about it is they have a training disk, as well as very good helpful support. I'd say with in or less than 8 hours with zero CAD experience I created 3D models of some of the parts I have done and will be doing. And that was not using the support. The best thing about it is, unlike other CAD CAM software is you don't have to pay a yearly license on it. Though buying the support is a good idea. Any problems that I have had with the software is my lack of experience or knowledge of its use. I have Version 29.
    I wish they offered the classes in my area.
    I have posted and run some of my programs and had some teething problems, but again all on me not the software.