Need Help! "Extrude Curve" all the way around a part?

Thread: "Extrude Curve" all the way around a part?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question "Extrude Curve" all the way around a part?

Am I even approaching this problem correctly?

A customer needs to replicate the contours on a drawer face for a remodel job. He's tried and cannot find router bits to match the original design. I figure we can measure things, draw it in BobCAD, then machine it on my cnc router. Sounds simple.

As a test to learn how to do this, drew a curve, rotated it to the proper axis, then used Extrude Curve to extend the geometry across the end of my part. Now what? Can I extend this shape around the part? Must I put a copy of my curve on every side and extrude again?

"Extrude Curve" all the way around a part?-bobcaddrawer-1-jpg

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: "Extrude Curve" all the way around a part?

You can do a swung surface. It's under the surface menu

Downloads
    Uploads

Here's a look:

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    You can do a swung surface. It's under the surface menu
    THANKS. That worked. At least for the drawing part (and not the first 5 tries).
    I think my background in using CorelDraw (since ver 2 for DOS) hurts me in learning BobCAD.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by twoclones View Post
    I think my background in using CorelDraw (since ver 2 for DOS) hurts me in learning BobCAD.
    Nah, not really. (I've been using Corel for many years myself!)

There is just some adjustment to thinking for 3D. Also, some understanding and knowledge that Corel is a "Bezier and vector" workflow and most CAD work is NURBS. You don't really have to become an expert in the underlying structures. But you have to be sure to live in "2 different worlds" and not expect either to be EQUAL.

Anyway, good luck! And hey, ask away!

Burr

Downloads
    Uploads

Why would my swung surface be correct on Left and Right but different on Front and Back?
    I'm following the video as closely as I can and have selected each path/curve using shift-click.

"Extrude Curve" all the way around a part?-swungsurface-1-jpg
    "Extrude Curve" all the way around a part?-swungsurface-2-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Why would my swung surface be correct on Left and Right but different on Front and Back?
    I'm following the video as closely as I can and have selected each path/curve using shift-click.
    Personally, I believe the command needs adjustment.

The swung surface command is using the WCS as an anchor point. I believe it should use the local "OBJECT" UCS.....

place your path's local center at WCS zero point for the command. You'll then have to move it where you wanted the result.

Downloads
    Uploads

Personally, I believe the command needs adjustment.

The swung surface command is using the WCS as an anchor point. I believe it should use the local "OBJECT" UCS.....

place your path's local center at WCS zero point for the command. You'll then have to move it where you wanted the result.
    LOL. I'm understanding the phrase, "knows just enough to be dangerous."

I read all the help file info on adding a UCS and completed the Surface Wrap tutorial. Haven't found anything about Object UCS.
    My path (rectangle) is, and was before, centered on WCS. (discovered that caveat earlier today) I continue to get the same results.

I also tried changing my path to a planar surface, using that surface to create a new UCS and then wrapping with the new UCS active. Same inaccurate results.

NEW DEVELOPMENT
    I did some testing to see if my 34" x 5.75" part was too large for wrapping. What I found is that a 30 x 30" square wraps correctly but no size of rectangle I tested works how I expect

Downloads
    Uploads

Haven't found anything about Object UCS.
    Well, that's just me talking. "object coords" as opposed to UCS or WCS.... Could be called "local space", etc....

My path (rectangle) is, and was before, centered on WCS. (discovered that caveat earlier today) I continue to get the same results.
    Maybe you can post the example to see what's up?

I also tried changing my path to a planar surface, using that surface to create a new UCS and then wrapping with the new UCS active. Same inaccurate results.
    Its seems like you are talking about "wrapping" also? which is a function of the CAM side. We can get into that if you like. There is some setup that has to take place with regard to stock and origin and such.... Its much better now than it used to be!

Downloads
    Uploads

Its seems like you are talking about "wrapping" also? which is a function of the CAM side. We can get into that if you like. There is some setup that has to take place with regard to stock and origin and such.... Its much better now than it used to be!
    Nah. Still just trying Surface Swung but was getting pretty burned out after 4 hours of working on the same problem. Lost my mind while typing...

Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe you can post the example to see what's up?
    See if this works...

Driggers.bbcd on Google Drive

Downloads
    Uploads

See if this works...
    Yeah, it's definitely stretching it. It seems it really likes the symmetrical shape. I'm going to present this to BobCad as something they should look at. Can I use your file for that?

So, back to your original post, I guess the answer is yes! But I would do the copies with the 45 degree corner setup and use cross section on each wall, as opposed to extrude.

Not that you asked for it, but Here's your file setup for that. You'd have to do a cross section 4 times, then stitch it together. (or just do 2 and use mirror, on this PARTICULAR part)

They really could get a few of the surfacing commands beefed up. But really, I don't think they are necessarily trying to compete with a full cad package that can do sweeps with proper miters in 1 command. The swung surface is really just the sweep command. Their orig sweep command is fairly simplistic also.

Anyway.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, it's definitely stretching it. It seems it really likes the symmetrical shape. I'm going to present this to BobCad as something they should look at. Can I use your file for that?
    Please do

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you centre and extrude your curve around a square with your smallest dimension then use translate with copy to increase the length, then use a boolean add to create a single solid?

- Nick

I quite like targeted ads if they're not intensely annoying so I'll enable ads when your advertisers stop using annoying sounds, annoying slideshows and annoying animations

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Can you centre and extrude your curve around a square with your smallest dimension then use translate with copy to increase the length, then use a boolean add to create a single solid?

- Nick

Now that's a work-around,,,lol