Need Help! V-Groove Milling issue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V-Groove Milling issue

Downloads
    Uploads

Default V-Groove Milling issue

I am doing a very simple V-Groove operation in V26 and cant figure out what is happening. I am doing a pocketed 3D V-Groove (with endmill option) where I am pocketing around standard text objects. However, during the last operation with the V-Groove tool, it cuts straight across the text instead of pulling out of the workpc. (See photo, letter "T") I have tried changing the tools and depths of cut and the problem seems to move and show up in another location. Its very strange. Can anyone offer some suggestions/guidance?

Thanks, Craig

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V-Groove Milling issue-vgroove1-jpg   V-Groove Milling issue-vgroove2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: V-Groove Milling issue

Please .zip your .bbcd file and upload for us to look at.
    It can be several different things,but a sample file would get it sorted the fastest.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jrmach,

Attached is the zipped file.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Run your stock wizard.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I will try that again. I appreciate your help on this as I have had this problem in the past too and could ever really figure it out. Are you implying that I should run stock wizard after I create the geometries? In this particular model, I created the stock first, then the geometries, then the tool paths. Is there something significant to the sequence of when I run stock wizard?

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know what is going on.You are suppose to run the stock wizard first.The software won't let you tool path if you don't.
    You say you ran it,,the file you uploaded shows no signs of stock,however somehow IT IS tool pathed.Makes no sense.
    anyhow,,I ran the stock wizard with rectangular stock,changed nothing else in your file and everything is OK as far your letter "T"

Downloads
    Uploads

Hmmm thats interesting. I have noticed that sometimes changes dont get implemented and other strange little issues with this program. It has some strange warts but pretty good for the most part.

Downloads
    Uploads

Really appreciate you helping me out. Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

forgot to include pic

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V-Groove Milling issue-fixed-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately, deleting and creating the stock did not fix the problem. I opened the file, deleted and recreated the stock (via the wizard) then the exact error showed up again. Just cant figure this out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well,I hope someone can affirm I am right on this.I checked multiple times,and that is what works here.
    I am going to upload your file with what I did,see if it works now.

Downloads
    Uploads

After you re-create your stock, you also need to recalculate the toolpath. After opening your file, I ran the stock wizard, then recalculated the toolpath and it's fine. I don't know how you go where you did to begin with though, so I can't say as to why it didn't work the first time.

I think the stock may be tied to the machine definition somehow, so when jrmach and I open it, the stock may be getting dropped when Bobcad can't find the machine definition that you're using. Just a guess as to why there is no stock from our end.

Another thing that didn't work quite right is that the first tool did not protrude from my simulation properly. I think that may be because there was no tool holder assigned, and after I assigned my standard tool holder it was fine. The tool settings (flute length, tool holder, etc.) do make a difference for collision detection, so if you don't have your tool holder modeled yet, I'd suggest that you go through the process of replicating your tool holder/collet system so that can be part of your simulation. If you have the Pro simulation, you can go even further than that.

Finally, for some reason, the geometry in your file and the geometry that is being used to create the toolpath don't appear to match. The font is different and in a different location. It looks like you may have had one type of font, then deleted it and put a different font in, but did not re-select the geometry and recalculate the toolpath. In case you aren't aware, you can't change the geometry and expect the software to automatically know what you meant to do. You have to go the the CAM tree, right click on "geometry", then reselect the geometry by clearing the selection (up in the selection tools where it says "All", the menu will drop down and offere "clear selection", followed by reselecting the new geometry. The old letters appeared to have more stylized corners, while the new ones are just squarish. If you did not change the font/geometry, then perhaps the font you used is not in my system and it defaulted to something standard. Hard for me to say.

Downloads
    Uploads

mmoe,
    jsyk or in case you did not know,,if you highlight the font/r click/entity modify , you can see what font he was using.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V-Groove Milling issue-entity-modify-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I changed several of the toolpath parameters (one at a time) to see if any one of them effected this issue. I found that when I set the V-tool depth to be equal to the pocket depth (ie, one pass), the problem went away. However, when the V-Tool depth was set at 1/2 the pocket depth (ie, 2 passes with the vtool), the problem reappeared. No other parameter seemed to have an impact on this issue.

Good advise though and I will go through the process of replicating your tool holder/collet system so that is correct. This was a pretty basic model so starting over from scratch is not difficult, its just a strange issue. Anyways, thanks to all that have provided comments, greatly appreciate it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    mmoe,
    jsyk or in case you did not know,,if you highlight the font/r click/entity modify , you can see what font he was using.
    Yes, but in my case it does not identify the font as anything different than what it appears to be, which is different from what the toolpath geometry was. It also does not show as it does in your example. It must be that I don't have that font in my computer, so it just picks a different font.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V-Groove Milling issue-cb-thomas-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mmoe View Post
    Yes, but in my case it does not identify the font as anything different than what it appears to be, which is different from what the toolpath geometry was. It also does not show as it does in your example. It must be that I don't have that font in my computer, so it just picks a different font.

Can it do that ? lol

One things for sure,if I was the OP,I would start from scratch.Something not aligning with the stars.

Downloads
    Uploads

So for this operation the final depth of pocket is .2". When I set the v tool depth to .2 (single pass) the problem goes away. When I set the v tool to .1" it cuts across the T. When I set the depth of the v tool to .08" (3 passes) the problem shows up in several locations. Am I braking some basic rule with using multiple passes with the v tool? I have recreated the drawing two different times and the same results continue. Forgot to mention I am using v25 version.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CYoung View Post
    When I set the v tool to .1" it cuts across the T. When I set the depth of the v tool to .08" (3 passes) the problem shows up in several locations. Am I braking some basic rule with using multiple passes with the v tool?.
    It's going to be a font/selection issue.... The fix will be very specific "Shift clicking" or creating contours out of the font......

Attach your most recent file with a toolpath feature added and showing your bad results. I'll make a video out of it....

Downloads
    Uploads

I've attached the file. I dont really know what you mean by "shift clicking". Could I eliminate this issue if I vectorized the text fonts first?

Thanks, Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    It's going to be a font/selection issue.... The fix will be very specific "Shift clicking" or creating contours out of the font......

Attach your most recent file with a toolpath feature added and showing your bad results. I'll make a video out of it....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V-Groove Milling issue-popcorn-jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast