Problem v26 Advanced rough issue

Thread: v26 Advanced rough issue

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default v26 Advanced rough issue

I've noticed that when using advanced rough or advanced pocket the program will leave a small nick on the "front edge" or the edge where the tool enters the part. Some example pictures are attached. It doesn't seem to me to be something that you could address with a finish pass. Are you guys experiencing this? Any way of getting rid of it? My parts are pretty much all tooling that stays in house so it's not a huge problem but I'd like to know how to fix it.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails v26 Advanced rough issue-corner-nick-close-jpg   v26 Advanced rough issue-corner-nick-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: v26 Advanced rough issue

It might be that intermediate step problem your seeing. I was running into that with V25 and is probably the same in V26. Does the gouge report show them.
    Just upgraded to V26 a couple of weeks ago so not sure if it has been fixed or not. I'm going to load a file that I was having trouble with and see if I need to get with Tech within the 45 day window. Thanks for the remind.

RAF.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you replicate it in a file you can share with us ?
    It looks like something I would do on the manual mill when I was first starting out,lol (turning the handles the wrong way)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Seems like I remember seeing a video where that was addressed by using <Surface> [Extend] to basically tell the software that the geometry that's being cut extends just far enough out that the cut takes place in air, rather than stock. Probably need to unstitch, extend, then restitch or boolean add it back together.

Luke

"All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've had some trouble accessing the zone to post the resolution to this. It turned out to be a misunderstanding on my part. This part was an existing tool that I was modifying by putting in the pocket seen in the picture AND opening up the radius which is "damaged" by the nick. So basically it got erased by my second operation. Guess I got ahead of myself, but I'm almost positive I've seen similar issues on previous parts. Did I do the same thing in those other cases? I'm not sure anymore so I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Intermediate steps:

You can run into a sorting issue when using intermediate steps. Change your processing from area to level and it should eliminate any issues of the intermediate cut, cutting out of order.

v26 Advanced rough issue-by_level-png

Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ben S View Post
    I've had some trouble accessing the zone to post the resolution to this. It turned out to be a misunderstanding on my part. This part was an existing tool that I was modifying by putting in the pocket seen in the picture AND opening up the radius which is "damaged" by the nick. So basically it got erased by my second operation. Guess I got ahead of myself, but I'm almost positive I've seen similar issues on previous parts. Did I do the same thing in those other cases? I'm not sure anymore so I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again.
    I see. I think Luke knew what you were getting at.

v26 Advanced rough issue-bcc_corner-20nick-20close_red-jpg

At first I thought you were talking about the area in the circle, it looked like a gouge but it was hard to tell.

You CAN eliminate that by extending a surface or putting a primitive solid like a cube (assuming you are using 3D Adv Rough) in the way of the cutter so it avoids the area. In 2D Pocket -> Adv. Rough it can sometimes be a little trickier but is usually as easy as extending your geometry just a bit past the cast/stock that you are working with.

The 3D Adv. Rough always obeys the allowance value. It should never leave a mark like that unless there is material there to remove. That is why I tend to favor the 3D methods in general.