New Machine Build 1st cut maybe

Thread: 1st cut maybe

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 1st cut maybe

I have just finished the machine and will be ready to cut something I hope tomorrow. I do have an easier project to try. I have 1 problem I did not notice until now. The cut for X,Y, look good but I cannot figure out why Z is 3." I thought Z would start at 0 and cut down in a negative number -.100 -.200 -.300
    Like so. Here is the BBCD file. It it using the bits I have at this time. I will be getting smaller one and more sizes.

Attached Files Attached Files
    The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking at the stock from the front view will explain the height issue. You have the Embossing Stock set to Z=0.0 which puts the embossment in the positive Z, and the machining stock is set to accomodate that placement. Here are the steps to put it at the height you expect. (looks like a lot of text, but it's really just a few easy changes).

First, lower the Embossing Stock by the height of your highest embossment, (0.125"), plus just a little to make sure you're cutting all the way across. That will ensure that the model is fully within the stock. Right-click on [Emboss Model], then click <Create/Modify Stock> and type in a value for Z (-0.15" would work here).

Having done that, you'll want to modify your machining stock as well, so it simulates correctly. Go to the CAM tree, right-click [Milling Stock], and click <Stock Wizard>. you want the second page, so just click the [>>] button. On the second page, in the [Size] box, click the "Enter" button. That will light up the current dimensions. just change the value of Z from 0.125" to the thickness of the stock you plan to cut, say 0.75".

Now, in the [Stock Orientation] box, you'll want to change the Origin, to set the top of the stock to Z=0.0". First, click the "Enter Origin" button. The origin coordinates you've set will light up, and you can set Z to 0.0" With that done, you'll now want to go to your Slice Planar feature, right-click [Geometry], and re-Select your surface, then right-click [Slice Planar], and click <Compute Toolpath>, since the job has effectively dropped about 1/4".

Before cutting, make sure to have a look at the Simulation. First, because always looking at it will save you a lot of mishaps, and second, so you won't be disappointed with your cut. This will serve to check that the machine is working correctly, but a 0.25" flat endmill stepping over at 0.05 will be a very crude rendition of your model, and I want you to know that ahead of time, so you don't get mad. It's all good practice for when those shiny new endmills arrive, though.

Oh, you might want to increase the <Allowance> value in the [Slice Planar] feature. 0.02" is shaving it a bit close. Even a 1/16" ballnose will cut 0.03" of wood or plastic easily, and if the cut is too shallow, the stock can compress beneath the bit, rather than cutting cleanly.

Hope this helps!

Luke

Last edited by Trotline; 11-02-2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: afterthought
    "All I'm trying to find out is the fellow's name on first base" -- Lou Costello

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for looking at the bobcad file. I did try the things that you suggested. I still am getting a three point something on anything I Try for the z axis. I loaded a file from the tutorial and it starts at 3.8 for cutting on the Z axis. It appears anything I do I get a 3 added to the Z axis. I guess I am going to have to start with the most basic of basics and get the stock wizard down properly. I thought I did have it cutting properly and then all of a sudden it changed. Or it's me and I changed I'll have to work this out.

Thank you
    Don

The time has come the woodworker said to speak of many things. 0f routers and Wood , chips and paints and stains and CNC and other things.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think I see what's up. Go to [Preferences] <Settings Part> and in the "Units" tab, click on "Inch" You're in milimeter mode, I think. You'll probably need to do the same in <Settings Default>, but it may just be this part. I'm assuming you meant to be in imperial and not metric...

Luke

Downloads
    Uploads

Trotline,his units do appear to be Imperial.
    Couple things (1)Your file is on machine set-up 2,,what happened to 1 ?
    (2)With my Post Processor,I don't get "3"anything.Look at the attached pic.That IS,how your part simulates with Preditor Editor Back Plot.This simulation actually reads the G-Code.
    (3) I have no idea why you changed your nc file directory,but it makes it a little bit of a PITA for someone to look over your file.The reason I mention this,not everyone will know this,thus,they will not be able to post code for any your files and follow along with what ever the post/thread at hand..I included a pic of what it comes set-up as.Which is what anybody looking at one of your files has to change it back to,just to post code.

As for your "3" problem,maybe it is set in metric,but I am not seeing that.Thinking something with mach.And that I don't know about,sorry.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st cut maybe-nc-jpg   1st cut maybe-preditor-jpg  
    Last edited by jrmach; 11-04-2013 at 12:11 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What caused me to think it was a metric mix-up is looking at his toolpath. When I set the part to mm, it shows as 3.6 units Z+, which is about what he was describing. Now that you point it out, I see that Settings>Part would, of course carry over with the .bbcd file, so that shoots that theory down. Thanks for pointing it out.

Luke

Downloads
    Uploads

If you load the sim does it show z 3.475 in the first line. Here is a screen shot you may need to zoom a little to see the numbers. Look at the column under Z everything is 3.???. On line 2 I get a collision error. Now if I am cutting .250 and the flute length on the cutter is .750 how do I get a collision. I should have 1/2 inch clearance. I am lost. I did check and I am in inch mode . I hope the picture explains it.

Don

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st cut maybe-z-path2-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Jrmach I have bobcad installed on my H drive. It has been a long time practice with me to not install programs on My OS drive. I may have to delete all of the Bobcad stuff and do a re-install as Bobcad appears to have problems with not being in 1 place. I have noticed a trend since Windows 7 for all installs to want to be on C drive. If you are using an SSD as your OS drive you can run out of space fast. when programs want to fill it up with all there files and saves and hidden files and temp files they even have hidden temp files. Sorry for the problems

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, the sim shows me the same values as you see. Now I'm wondering if possibly your Machine Setup-2 has anything to do with it. The toolpath definitely doesn't go anywhere near that Z height, nor does the Gcode, when I post it. The Sim relies on the machine definition, so possibly something there is not as expected.

Luke