Need Help! V23 Dimension Help

Thread: V23 Dimension Help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default V23 Dimension Help

Hello all, I need to draw a custom shoulder screw and would like to if possible replace the numbers with text like the attached drawing. Can this be done in V23? If that cannot be done is there a way when doing vertical dimensions to have the numbers go horizontal?

Thanks
    Ed.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V23 Dimension Help-shoulder-screw041-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by emd68 View Post
    Hello all, I need to draw a custom shoulder screw and would like to if possible replace the numbers with text like the attached drawing. Can this be done in V23? If that cannot be done is there a way when doing vertical dimensions to have the numbers go horizontal?

Thanks
    Ed.
    You can use Pre and Post input field to add text before and after the numbers
    Not sure if you can remove the numbers though.

Horizontal and Vertical ordinate should get your numbers on the desired axis.

Hope this help!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

To replace the dimensions with test it is rather simple. All you have to do is explode the dimension, delete the numbers, and replace it with text.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDa View Post
    To replace the dimensions with test it is rather simple. All you have to do is explode the dimension, delete the numbers, and replace it with text.
    will your text follow the y axis if needed?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you set it with a rotation angle it will.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question

If you set it with a rotation angle it will.
    cant seem to be able to explode dimension with trial ver. 23

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try using the vectorize option in text. It will perform the exact same action as explode.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Sean, I tried several times to explode the dimension but no luck. I tried some text and that worked fine. Are you sure dimensions can be exploded?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I apologize. You are definitely unable to explode dimensions. I think I will have to discuss this with development for future inclusion in the software.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can remove the dimension value by setting the "scale" property to Zero.

[EDIT] Wrong, Not...[EDIT]

Last edited by BurrMan; 06-19-2012 at 02:05 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks everyone for your help on this.

Ed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red face

I apologize. You are definitely unable to explode dimensions. I think I will have to discuss this with development for future inclusion in the software.
    Came to the same conclusion after trying it with my registered version today
    Being unable to explode dimension line and numbers is not something bad in
    itself.
    Would not want to have a forgotten highlited line or entity, belonging to dimension, included in your g-code.

The only way seem to be like BurrMan suggested, scaling the dimension small enough to make it invisible keeping just the dimension lines and adding text with the text function.Just dont forget that this text, will now be part of your drawing.

Last edited by Claude Boudreau; 06-19-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just slightly off topic, but still dealing with dimensioning in V23 is this:

When you have dimensions visible in the window and get an Entities Summary, the summary includes the dimensions. So in order to move an object for a different coordinate, you must first remove the dimensions or put them on a different layer and blank them out to get a true summary for the movement.

I see no purpose what so ever in counting them in the Entity Summary. I hope that this has changed in V25.

Cheers all---Mike

Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red face

For future improvement, making the numbers able to explode in order to use text instead is a good idea, but it should be kept separate from your drawing like it is now.
    Machineit seem right about the dimensions that should not appear in entities summary.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Just slightly off topic, but still dealing with dimensioning in V23 is this:

When you have dimensions visible in the window and get an Entities Summary, the summary includes the dimensions. So in order to move an object for a different coordinate, you must first remove the dimensions or put them on a different layer and blank them out to get a true summary for the movement.

I see no purpose what so ever in counting them in the Entity Summary. I hope that this has changed in V25.

Cheers all---Mike
    Hey Mike,

well the summary is a bounds of either "whats selected" or everything.. I could see a need to have dims included for setting up the size of prints and stuff too.. Sometimes, you may just want to know the size of everything on the paperspace?

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to use the selection mask to get a summary excluding dims... It's just a single click on the dimension line icon on the selection mask toolbar which will exclude it from a large window selection for summary. No need to Hide or relayer anything...

The selection mask is a little rough, because you have to know or be accustomed to various entity types, but for dims, it is fairly straight forward and isnt hard to view/find the icon for it...

FYI: It has not changed in V25

2 cents.

And yes, the ability to change "dim blocks" to geometry would be good.. Even for transfer to other apps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have submitted it to development for future inclusion in the software. I have no time table as to when it would be added tho.