Need Help! Touching lines do not seem 'joined'

Thread: Touching lines do not seem 'joined'

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Touching lines do not seem 'joined'

Hoping someone can help me with this-
    We do a simple milling operation where we draw a line and a circle and use quick trim to delete the unwanted parts to create a line which curves to a 1/4 circle radius and then back to another straight line. We've done quite a few of these with no issue.
    However, on the last one, three corners of these work fine but the 4th one is not working like the rest. It's as if BOBCAD sees the lines seperatly and not joined to one continous line (path). It was created just like the others but is there a command to join two lines? Or is there another issue?
    I've deleted and re-drawn this corner 3 times and each time it acts the same- I've even increased my circle radius to be sure the lines would touch. But it still treats the line as ending and the radius as a new beginning instead of simply continuing to go along the complete path. For a visual- use a P and start on the right side of the bottom and travel up and then right around the hoop of the P.
    One other clue- when we compute to toolpath, it actually moves from 'inside' to 'outside' on the compensation for the tool even though only right or left is selected. Very odd.

Hope this is an easy fix!
    Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any chance you upload the file as an iges?

Doug

Downloads
    Uploads

You could try to make a "contour" out of the entities, selecting the order and direction you want the cut to move.. It is in the other menu.

The file would help too.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Leprechaun,

Take a good look at your outline, you have some double lines in the corners and a gap in the bottom left. Also there are some stray trimmings on the bottom left as well. Try using the reorganise/optimize under the utilities tab to erase doubles.

Doug

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dougl View Post
    Hi Leprechaun,

Take a good look at your outline, you have some double lines in the corners and a gap in the bottom left. Also there are some stray trimmings on the bottom left as well. Try using the reorganise/optimize under the utilities tab to erase doubles.

Doug
    Good eyes ! I dont even see the file!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry Claude,
    My attemp to post the file here failed. I'll see if I can save it as a dxf and post a copy.

Doug

Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had a quick look at your file in autocad. If you zoom in very close to both the upper and lower fillets on the lefthand side you can see extra lines and places where the line extend's past the curve I'm sure if you clean these up it should work.
    Also the were several lines on top of each other up to 6 on the top line and a couple of extra curves on the top line as well.
    If you like I can post a file I fixed up.
    Aaron.

Last edited by winaa; 07-13-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by leprechaun View Post
    Hoping someone can help me with this-
    We do a simple milling operation where we draw a line and a circle and use quick trim to delete the unwanted parts to create a line which curves to a 1/4 circle radius and then back to another straight line. We've done quite a few of these with no issue.
    However, on the last one, three corners of these work fine but the 4th one is not working like the rest. It's as if BOBCAD sees the lines seperatly and not joined to one continous line (path). It was created just like the others but is there a command to join two lines? Or is there another issue?
    I've deleted and re-drawn this corner 3 times and each time it acts the same- I've even increased my circle radius to be sure the lines would touch. But it still treats the line as ending and the radius as a new beginning instead of simply continuing to go along the complete path. For a visual- use a P and start on the right side of the bottom and travel up and then right around the hoop of the P.
    One other clue- when we compute to toolpath, it actually moves from 'inside' to 'outside' on the compensation for the tool even though only right or left is selected. Very odd.

Hope this is an easy fix!
    Thanks.
    Using line join might have help.
    When you shift+select closed entities and it does not highlight completly usually the problem is where it stop highlighting.
    Anyway I think I ve fixed the contour. P.S. Note de Kb difference between the files.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Claude Boudreau; 07-13-2011 at 09:57 PM.