My CNC Bender Build - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: My CNC Bender Build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I finally have Mach 3 reading both my encoder and a limit switch. It turned out the inpout32.dll file was conflicting with Mach. I hooked up another hard drive, installed XP and installed Mach. I simply told Mach 3 the correct pins for my encoder and limit switch. Every thing worked very well. Mach is an awesome program. They will get my money next week when I order it. The "trial version" does everything I need, but those guys deserve the money. Its only $140 for the software.

Mach3 is reading my encoder weird. I have a 360PPR encoder. I configured the encoder in Mach3 as 360/ppr. Unfortunately it isn't reading that way. I will figure out the problem tomorrow.

I start the actual coding tomorrow. Here is the basic logic:

DesiredAnglePos = GetUserDRO(2000) 'angle entry dro on your screen
    CurrentAngPos= GetOEMDRO(29) 'encoder1 DRO from your die

if GetOEMLED(164) or GetOEMLED(165) then 'if the CW or CCW led is on

if GetOEMLED(164) then 'if the spindle CW led is on.
    if CurrentAngPos <= DesiredAnglePos then
    ActivateSignal(OUTPUT2) 'coil A cw
    else
    DeActivateSignal(OUTPUT2)
    end if
    end if

if GetOEMLED(165) then 'if the spindle CCW led is on.
    if CurrentAngPos >= DesiredAnglePos then
    ActivateSignal(OUTPUT3) 'coil B ccw
    else
    DeActivateSignal(OUTPUT3)
    end if
    end if

end if

The above code should, in theory, work. I haven't tried it, nor do I have any experience using VB in Mach. The above code seems pretty basic. From Mach's view, my machine is extremely simple to control. I really only have one axis to worry about. Other than that, I am just using logic to turn on or off coils in a valve.

I now have another project to start once this one is complete. I want to make a plasma tube profile cutter. I am going to control a 3 jaw chuck with a gear box and a stepper motor. I am going to run the torch along an axis perpendicular to the chuck. Once again, the machine will be easy to make; the programming will be the hard part.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

im not very sure, but im guessing you need to configure your encoder pulses as 1440 (or 360 x 4)

Since it is most likely a quadrature encoder, it will output 4 pulses per count...
    or something like that.... i read it somewhere a while ago hehehe....

post some pics of the completed progress... and if possible a video, it is great to see mach3 in non standard applications

Best regards
    Fernando

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fer_mayrl View Post
    im not very sure, but im guessing you need to configure your encoder pulses as 1440 (or 360 x 4)

Since it is most likely a quadrature encoder, it will output 4 pulses per count...
    or something like that.... i read it somewhere a while ago hehehe....
    It could possibly be that Mach interprets the Pulse/rev x4.
    A quadrature encoder outputs 2 quadrature pulses, it is whether the resulting software uses the native count or makes use of leading/trailing edges of the pulses for x1, x2 or x4.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I think mach is doing 4x decoding. With a quadrature decoder, you can resolve 4 times the number of lines on the encoder disc.

Back when I first started with mach I would chop up my programs in notepad and run them 500 lines at a time (the trial version limit then) So with a little pain I could get large files cut. I promptly decided it was stupid to continue that and got the real deal. Definitely well worth the money.

On the plasma tube cutter, I think it would be cool to rotate the plasma around the pipe vs. rotating the pipe. It would make it a lot easier to notch bent tubes, like a B pillar for instance.

Matt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the input on the quadrature encoder. The quad signal possibility totally escaped my brain. I think I was so happy that I got Mach to read my input devices that logical thinking was temporarily impossible.

If the limit is 500 lines (is that G Code or VBA code per button?) then I should safe. I'm still going to buy it. Is the license bound per computer or per device the controller is, well, controlling?

I haven't messed with it, but I haven't quite figured out how I will code this thing. I am aware that I can apply VBA code per button, DRO, etc in ScreenDesigner. Does anyone know anything about macro pumps. One of the fellas on the Mach Support page suggested placing the code in a macro pump. Is the program similar to Visual Basic Studio where you create button, labels, DROs, etc, give them names, then write code about the function of the buttons?

Lastly, I have a manual foot switch that connects to the tube bender. I plan to use the manual switch when I wish to make a few simple bends. I can take two approaches: I can either hook it up directly to the valve (my current setup), or hook it up to the bread board and have the switch as an input device on my BOB? I have to use a switch to toggle between CNC and manual mode if I hook the switch directly to the valve. The PC has to be on and Mach has to be running if I hook it up to the BOB.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

As for the tube profile cutter, it would definitely be a lot better to have the torch revolve around the tube. This design presents a lot more design challenges. As Matt stated, the first idea would only be effective on straight pieces. I rarely have a piece of tube that needs to be notched but hasn’t been bent.

I think the biggest issue would be to come up with a way to adjust the torch towards or away from the centerline of the tube to accommodate for different diameter tubing. It would be a lot easier to come up with something that uses an end mill like most designs, but a plasma design would be so much quicker without as much mess.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC Pipe Bender using Modified Mach3 Screen

Quote Originally Posted by supahonkey View Post

If the limit is 500 lines (is that G Code or VBA code per button?) then I should safe. I'm still going to buy it. Is the license bound per computer or per device the controller is, well, controlling?

I haven't messed with it, but I haven't quite figured out how I will code this thing. I am aware that I can apply VBA code per button, DRO, etc in ScreenDesigner. Does anyone know anything about macro pumps. One of the fellas on the Mach Support page suggested placing the code in a macro pump. Is the program similar to Visual Basic Studio where you create button, labels, DROs, etc, give them names, then write code about the function of the buttons?

BOB.
    Interesting CNC Bender build.

The 500 lines limit is for the GCodes. Mach3 can be used in multiple computers and controllers with just one license in a DIY or hobby shop though if used in commercial settings, then you are supposed to have 1 license per machine.

Here is a YouTube video link to a modified Mach3 screen by a Mach3 user for a commercial CNC retrofitted Mach3 Pipe Bending Machine in Pakistan:
    "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFkmAgNX1Hg"]YouTube - Pipe Bending CNC 1

If the worldwide financial crisis didn't affect a prospective client, I would have done a similar cnc retro of a wire bending machine.

You can create a simple modified Mach3 screen using screen4 and use VB script on OEMDROs to create specialized functions. I have an unfinished Modified Mach3 Screen for the prospective cnc retro wire bender and you can see it here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/cncquest/3241629508/

HTH,
    WT

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

You might ask Hillbilly on the board about macro pumps. He wrote one I am using on my bridgeport. You should also ask your mach related questions in the mach forum as they know a lot more about mach over there.

I would hook the foot switch directly to the valve. It would be a bummer to have to boot the computer just to do a little bend. Also if you ever had a failure with the electronics, it would still work without the computer if you have it wired direct.

Matt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a small update:

I finally got the encoder interfaced correctly with Mach. The problem was that I am an idiot. I had the encoder enabled in Mach as an MPG, not a rotary encoder. Basically, as soon as I checked that box, the DRO for angular position read correctly.

I can move on to coding now that both limit switches and the rotary encoder are configured. The due date to be considered for an award is February 28th... less than two weeks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Just in case...

Check out the link below if you are interested in the programming/interfacing with Mach 3 aspect of my project.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/ind....html#msg65652

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you tried the bending performance yet?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes sir, I have bent a few things with the bender using the manual foot pedal. It works, but the bending arms are too thin. The frame isn't rigid enough. I welded the arms to the to the base of the machine. Using just the two bolts allowed the bender to move around. Also, my hydraulic cylinder is cantilevered a total of 48" from the pivot pin when it is fully extended. When the follower arm (the arm to which the cylinder connects, and is rigidly connected to the die) is at 90 degrees, the weight of the cylinder pushes down on the arm, creating a torsional force on the arms.

I never meant to use a design like the Model 3 bender, but time constraints forced me to purchase a bender rather than design one like the Baileigh RD-150.

Downloads
    Uploads

Any updates?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any updates?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Progress

There has been a little bit of progress. I have since finished school and completed my project. Recently I've begun looking into ways to have the machine absorb the slop in the system, most notably the die, before it starts the bend. There Is a great deal of slop when you load a piece of tube in the die. I always had to add about 10 degrees to my actual bend value. I want to measure the torque on the die pin. Once the torque value is equal to a constant the die position angle will automatically zero and the bender will start the actual bending of the tube.

I've also been learning BASIC Stamp so I can create my own controller. I am sick of having to use a large PC to perform such a simple task. I will post pictures as soon as I get the torque sensing scheme going.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think a pressure sensor/switch on the hydraulic line might be the easiest way to get what you want. You can buy stuff like that pretty cheap on ebay.

Matt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My CNC Bender Build

I have a question I noticed that you put a rotary encoder on your bender I was wanting to kinda do the same thing to mine but I just want it and a display to be able to show the degrees or angle do you have any advise as to how I would go about doing this ? I really dont have any questions as far as mounting the encoder just basically what should I buy and how would I configure it thanks James

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456