It's been 2 years since Iv'e started on this mill and it still isn't done yet . I have attached a .jpg of the concept and I do have real pics too,but they are still on my home computer. It is constructed to resemble a Benchman mill (within reason) useing 2" box tubing and 1/2" plate welded on,all surfaced within .0015" in Haas VF1 and has .750" dia. linear shafts and bearings. I built the rest all out of 7075 T-6 alum. The spindle arrangement I'm not too thrilled with yet but it does have an ER-16 collet system and a 10K spindle motor. More to follow when I get a chance. Oh,the limets are 16" X, 8" Y, and 9" on Z.
Hey Steve, looks good keep posting pics. I noticed that your bottom back brackets only come half way up. Very similar to my first brackets I used on my mill, however I opted to replace them with larger brackets going all the way up to the top of the z axis. Made a huge difference in rigidness when milling steel. ( just a helpful hint)
I agree with you on the bottom back brackets, but it was one of those things with what material was on hand deals also there are 5/8" monster caps screws running up through the base section into some solid blocks welded into the upright section. I have every component modeled on my computer to double check it's assembly, and will do as you suggested ,useing the full length ears once all is sorted. I'm really sweating the electronics end of it to be truefull. There are .5 pitch rolled ball screws on X and Y and .2 pitch on the Z,sort of what was available at the time,hopefully it will fly If I come across a better spindle deal (rigidity wise) I would be a happy camper.
Have you considered using a spindle from a Sieg X2 - they seem to be pretty cheep and cheerful?
I am looking to put together something using very similar supported rails and those open bearings you've used. How do you rate them - do they seem pretty resistant to off axis torque? Also, how hard was it to fit the open bearings into your saddle plates - did you just bore a deep hole and then slot it from the side?
Thanks again for the comments. Yes, the Seig spindle does appear interesting,I would rather have a variable or changable speed option than my fixed direct drive that it is now,but will keep my eyes open for something different. About the saddle and bearings,you are correct, I did bore the the block and slot as you mentioned and used the specs off of the Thompson web site for the Y axis bearing fit. For the X axis,I bought the carriage and shafts with bearings off of e-pay for $80.00 then machined a table with tee slots to recieve the carriage and bolted and pinned it all together.On the Z axis ,I got really lucky as it came from a fixture here at work as a whole unit that was being mothballed for lack of use(it was like NEW), so again,I went to the Thompson web site and down loaded an IGS file of the complete assembly,then was able to incorporate it into my model. You have to love computers I cut a setback into the Z column so it nested right on it then bolted and pinned it as well. The axial twist appears to be quite good considering the length of the table plus the distance between the .750" shafts. It was a bear trying to fit the ball screw nuts in X and Y,but they are in there.As mentioned above the Z was already done. At the ball screw"s fixed end are 2 each angular contact bearings locked into there respective end plates and then conventional bearings at the opposite ends for support. Budget so far, was under $400 for materials and my time was free.(I love my job!)
When I'm happy with the spindle,I'll venture off into the electric end of the project. No idea what I'm going to do with it when it's done,better for me to evaluate it's capabilities then figure out what to do then It is fun to make I must admit.
By the way ,Happy Thanksgiving to everyone !
Last edited by Steve F; 11-22-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Reason: Reply to question I missed