Not sure what I really need

Thread: Not sure what I really need

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Not sure what I really need

my primary interest right now is making parts for leaning reverse trike designs. Anything from aluminum spindles to steel plates to assorted linkage arms, etc. I also want to some day build a small scale working V8 or V12. I'm a programmer, comfortable in any language, and very familiar with 3d printers. Do I want a CNC router for plate making, or a real benchtop mill? I've been looking at a Grizzly 0755, PM45M-PDF, and Bolton ZX45A. Also 6040 CNC routers, probably OMNICNC X6-2000. The Grizzly does not have power down feed, but can be converted to CNC. Or is a 0704 enough machine for what I want to do? Do I really even need the CNC option, or should I learn to use a vertical mill manually, then upgrade later. I'd like to keep the cost below $5000, but can go higher. I would also consider Sherline or Taig if they can make the steel plates I'll need. Slow speed is not really a problem because this is all hobby work.

Thoughts?

David

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Not sure what I really need

If these are 'full scale' reverse trikes, then there is some significant engineering and moderately large pieces required so your 5K budget is liable to be blown getting a machine with capable capacity. Aluminium spindles ! ! ! are you for real? That's the world of steel and a lathe all day long. The larger 'hobbyist' machines may cope with a typical suspension upright or hub in aluminium but likely to be on the edge of its envelope? I've probably got 3K in my CNC'd X2 including tooling for an example so you may have to revise your ambitions IMO.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My thought is you think you don't care about speed until your CAM program tells you it's going to take 4 hours to mill something. For me at least that is 4 hours of keeping an eye on or at least being in ear shot of the mill. Things can go wrong even if you've done everything right. This is different than a 3D printer in this regard which are slow but less potential for disaster.

My hobbyist impression is my G0704 is plenty for moving medium sized cutters thru aluminum. The low max RPM caused me to hang a high speed spindle off the side to deal with tiny detail work. And the conversion is easy -- you can be CNC enabled after $1300 and a weekend. It's a good way to go if it's large enough for you. I haven't explored its abilities with steel much yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I said spindle but I actually was thinking of a hub/carrier. Design phase one is to convert a bicycle into a leaning 2F1R vehicle, then convert my old katana 600 to two leaning front wheels. Where ever possible I'll use off the shelf parts, like the aforementioned axle carriers/c-hubs. Most of the parts I will be fabricating will be made from steel plates and steel tubing. I would also like to be able to make things like stepper motor mounts, end mounts for ball screws, etc. Nothing really large. Is a 0704 powerful enough for steel, or would a 0755 be a better option. I really can't justify spending 10-20K on a large bridgeport mill for hobby work. I think from responses so far a CNC router is not the way to go. Does anyone have a preference on X-45 mills?