Newbie X3 Component Weights

Thread: X3 Component Weights

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default X3 Component Weights

I took the plunge and purchased a new X3 from Harbor Freight and it is arriving next week. There is a fair chance that I may be by myself when it comes to unloading it at my house.

My question is how long should I plan on to take the major components apart out of the crate (head, column, base, table) and what are the weights of each of those items, so I know if it is realistic for me to pack them by myself.

I would also be curious on your thoughts of the best solvent to remove the waxy grease that comes on the components.

Thank you in advance

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi miseree.

You will need a hammer & screwdriver or small crowbar to pry apart the crate. The mill will be inside, bolted to the bottom. Inside and in the styrofoam will be all of the tools--especially the big wrench--that you will need for disassembly. Bring some shop towels or a roll of paper towels to wrap all the greasy parts in.

The crate is not that large & HF will help you to load it. If you have a truck or SW, or it will fit in trunk--and help at home, you don't need to disassemble at all.

If it won't fit, then the easiest disassembly is into two parts: the base/table assembly and the column/head assembly. To get there, just remove large nut at base of column. (while supporting head so it doesn't fall over sideways) This gives you two parts about 75 pounds each. Again, HF will help you load these after you disassemble, but you will need help at home.

If you have no help at home, you will want to separate base & table, and maybe column/head--although if you can lift it, better to leave head on column.

Removal of grease is easy with brushed kerosene and paper towels.

Good luck!

CR.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a ton for the detailed information. I do have a full sized pickup. The disassembly will be at home to get it into the work room. I was under the impression that the mill weighed 300-350 pounds. You say the two parts will be 75 each??? Might this be the weight for an X2?

Thanks again

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    To get there, just remove large nut at base of column. (while supporting head so it doesn't fall over sideways) This gives you two parts about 75 pounds each.
    Nut? Singular? 75lbs each? that sounds just like an X2 and not an X3

There are 4 bolts on the X3 column to table joint

For details on links to files on disassembly etc, see this post

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...67&postcount=7

Downloads
    Uploads

Whoops! Sorry! Yes, somehow I thought it was an X2. Okay, new ball game. Crate is larger, about 30 x 30. Machine is bolted to base with plastic bag over.

Four screws hold sheet metal column cover on. Four bolts separate column from base.

Head/column weighs nearly 200 LB. You can remove head and leave column cover attached to it.

Base/saddle/table also weigh about 200 LBs and are manageable when separated.

Study this teardown guide before you start:

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/projec...on%20Guide.pdf

CR.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks again for the detailed information. I would like to provide an update and some corrections so that anyone else faced with moving this machine with limited help may benefit. I had no problem dismantling the crate and everything was packed well. I began by removing the drill chuck which was installed in the spindle. As described previously, I removed the rear panel with 6 phillips screws, removed 2 allen head bolts holding the metal shroud over the back of the column and began removing the 4 bolts that hold the column to the base. Note that there are two roll pins between the bolts (1 on each side), so the column must be lifted up and over. Beware also that with the motor and head still on the column, the column will tip. One clarification to the details above is that the head and column assembly is much heavier than the base. Assuming the two together weigh about 400lbs, I would venture to say that the head is probably 275 of it. So when you turn those bolts loose, be ready to support.

A word of wisdom to the young and dumb (the group to which I belong :-). My two neighbors were not available and I nearly attempted this by myself. This column is too much for 1 guy. I'm a pretty stout guy at 6' 220 pounds. I go to the gym regularly and I'm usually dumb enough to try anything. I am so glad my wife went behind my back to call the neighbor and relieve him from his prior engagement to help. The column is awkward. We each put an arm under the head and cradled it, supporting the back of the column with the opposite hand. This puts the two guys toe to toe and well within stepping distance of eachother... Be careful. Also have a plan for where you're going to set the unit ( I didn't ). One on side is the quill lever, the front is the spindle lock, the other side is the motor, and the back side is only a sheet metal shroud that shouldn't be made to support the weight. I ended up laying it on the motor side and blocking it up. This isn't a decision you want to make with the unit in your hands.

The base/table was much more manageable and less awkward. I was able to pack that by myself with little trouble.

Anyway now on to cleaning that devilish red gooooooooooooooo................!