Weiss WMD30LV conversion project - Page 4

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Weiss WMD30LV conversion project

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LongRat View Post
    No, the blocks are very cheap and the bearings themselves seem to be nice. For the price, it would be a great deal for the bearings alone - without the blocks. I don't have a problem with the blocks at all, just that you must strip them out and reassemble them before use. I actually found a big chunk of bamboo in one of the bearings! Also, mine were assembled the wrong way round too.
    I recently received a set of bearings from VXB I bought for the BP quill drive I'm building. I bought a pair of 7202s, a 6202 and a 5202. I'm quite impressed with the quality of all of them. The 7202s (single-row A/C, $14.95 for the pair), when clamped up tight have what feels like the perfect pre-load - a very slight drag, and zero backlash. The 5202 (double-row A/C, $9.95) also has zero lash, and is perfectly smooth. For dirt-cheap bearings, the quality seems remarkably good.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi LongRat - have you got any further yet?

I meant to ask, are all of those linear rails for your router, or are you planning to put some on the mill?

Cheers.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm putting an auxiliary z axis on the mill, to hold my high speed spindle. That will use a couple of the linear rails. The rest of them are for the router.
    I have made some progress, I just finished the nut mount for the z axis. This took a while on the X2 - the 25mm ballnut is huge. Here is a picture before I bolt it up to the nut.

The next stage is to modify the stock cast iron end plates to hold my new bearing blocks.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a very nice looking part

Might it not be easier to just make completely new bearing mounts from some flat stock? Do you have a lathe handy, or do you have to do everything on your X2?

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks.
    I have a 9x20 lathe and an Emco Unimat 3. Definitely easier to reuse the existing parts I think, as I intend to have the new angular contact bearing blocks 'floating' on the existing end plates so that the exact alignment can be adjusted in, then I will lock the two parts together with allen bolts. Cutting completely new bearing blocks would be a lot of work, I could bore them on the lathe but to get a nice profile would still take a mill, and the X2 is a bit too small for that task. It may still come to that (maybe for X), but I'm pretty sure my plan will work for Z and Y.

Downloads
    Uploads

Before I forget, here is the drawing I supplied when sourcing the ballscrews. Note that there's no need for such a long length on the Z screw, I just ordered a screw that would fit in the whole column length.

Top is Z, middle is Y, bottom is X.

Downloads
    Uploads

I mounted the nut mount to the head, in the end it was such a close push fit that I didn't see the need to bolt it in, although I can always do this at a later date. So I have my Z nut and screw installed, only have to finish the bearing block and motor mount now. Before I can do the motor mount, I really need to get a decent coupler. The ones I got from Linearmotionbearings are not going to cut it, they are only 19mm OD aluminium helicals. I want to get some Oldham couplers, these are what I used on the X2 and I really like them. But they are SO expensive! Anyone know any good sources that aren't too pricey? I'm looking for the 33mm OD ones ideally. RS sell them but you are looking at £10-£12 per hub, and then you have to buy the sliding disc. To complete the mill I'd be looking at something close £100 just for 3 couplers!

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I did actually get mine from RS, but they weren't quite that expensive two years ago.

Have you tried Marchant Dice - they're a bit cheaper: http://www.worldofcnc.com/products.asp?recnumber=56

But really, can't you just make some on your X2 from 25-30mm aluminium rod? You could then just buy the torque-discs from RS...

I'm pretty sure I've seen some very nice all-in one slotted couplers made by someone on here in the Tormach forum... - I think this is it: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...31&postcount=1

Downloads
    Uploads

I mounted the nut mount to the head, in the end it was such a close push fit that I didn't see the need to bolt it in, although I can always do this at a later date. So I have my Z nut and screw installed, only have to finish the bearing block and motor mount now. Before I can do the motor mount, I really need to get a decent coupler. The ones I got from Linearmotionbearings are not going to cut it, they are only 19mm OD aluminium helicals. I want to get some Oldham couplers, these are what I used on the X2 and I really like them. But they are SO expensive! Anyone know any good sources that aren't too pricey? I'm looking for the 33mm OD ones ideally. RS sell them but you are looking at £10-£12 per hub, and then you have to buy the sliding disc. To complete the mill I'd be looking at something close £100 just for 3 couplers!
    Make your own couplings - they'll cost next to nothing. I made these for my X2 eons ago out of scrap. They are zero backlash, took about an hour to make several of them.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weiss WMD30LV conversion project-p1050379-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I guess I'll have to make them. Really was hoping to avoid that if possible, my lathe's out of action with a busted belt and I have a lot on at the moment that is taking my time. Plus, my bandsaw is also broken, the motor went up in flames when the blade jammed. Guess there's nothing for it though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, you've really fallen out with the good-luck-fairy!

Given what you've just posted, I'd be tempted to just buy some so you can get back to at least one working machine ASAP. Whenever I'm wincing at a price, I try and rationalise it by comparing it to the cost of a tank of petrol, or a really good hangover. Most things seem quite reasonable after that

Good Luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, that's good reasoning. I still have a couple of machines working though, small lathe and X2 CNC still operational!
    I've decided to go half way and buy the plastic discs as suggested, and I'll make the alloy hubs. Ordered a belt for the lathe on ebay, so it should be here pretty soon - although it is coming from the US.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, that's good reasoning. I still have a couple of machines working though, small lathe and X2 CNC still operational!
    I've decided to go half way and buy the plastic discs as suggested, and I'll make the alloy hubs. Ordered a belt for the lathe on ebay, so it should be here pretty soon - although it is coming from the US.
    If you have the room, it pays to make the diameter as large as possible, to eliminate backlash. You want the hubs to be a snug sliding fit in the slots in the plastic - they should not move really freely. In case the construction is not clear, these are slightly different from Lovejoys. The plastic piece has a 1/4" slot running across each face, with the two slots 90 degrees to each other. I just slotted it with a 1/4" endmill, then milled the hubs to get the proper snug fit. All the parts were rough-cut, then I assembled the three pieces with a shaft through the middle, and put them in the lathe and turned the outside to make it all pretty.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Zapp Automation have couplers for £13.50 ex.vat. (I have no connection to them, other than ordering a few bits from them).

http://www.slidesandballscrews.com/3...ing-p-186.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tips. I'm familiar with the construction of Oldhams, I made one for my 4th axis conversion for the X2.
    Ben, good link, thanks. However that's not the true Oldham design that I'm looking for unfortunately - very nice price though. I prefer the Oldham design as there's something not so nice about relying on the compression of the plastic in my mind. Plus, Oldhams can tolerate a LOT of misalignment, not that I am going to have much I hope...

Downloads
    Uploads

How's about you buy the cheapie ones, and then post a video of the new machine cutting better ones

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Longrat have you had a look at Farnell? http://uk.farnell.com/oldham-couplings

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I have, ended up ordering some torque discs from there for 1/3 the price, once you factor in VAT and postage.
    I'll be making the hubs as soon as my lathe belts arrive. I've got the rest of the Z axis done now so should have a working axis fairly soon!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Long Rat - what motors and drivers are you going to be using, and what sort of rapid speeds are you aiming for?

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll build it up with NEMA 34 steppers, 450oz.in running on 39VDC @ 6A. This is the overkill set up currently on my X2.
    I would like to see the same rapids I run on the X2 if possible, 1700mm/min on X and Y. On Z I currently get 1500mm/min, I don't expect to achieve that with the WMD30. If performance ends up being poor, I will upgrade my power supply voltage, and then maybe also put on some larger NEMA 34 motors. I'm using Gecko G201s so I have a lot more head room there, should it be necessary.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast