Weiss WMD30LV conversion project - Page 19

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819

Thread: Weiss WMD30LV conversion project

Downloads
    Uploads

Well there is my thread on the belt drive conversion that is a massive upgrade I am sure you have seen. I would consider it essential. Generally I haven't done much to this machine though, other than use it a great deal for machining parts.

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

LR can you post a link please to the belt drive thread as i cant find it!

Downloads
    Uploads

Sure thing.
    The thread quickly turned into a motor problem solving session before I replaced the standard setup with a 3ph motor and VFD. The belt drive has 2 ratios that actually go up to a max speed of about 4000 RPM. With the VFD drive it could go a lot faster, but not without destroying the spindle bearings I fear.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...e_5000rpm.html

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought I would update this thread with some of the things I have done to further improve this mill.
    Here's a picture of the mill now, you can see my 3-phase motor and the belt drive conversion I did. Also notice the small plastic box on the column where I join all my limit switch connections up:

On that subject, I have now got microswitches on each end of Y, one for both limits in X and a Z+ switch. All switches are wired normally closed in series to a single Mach3 input. My intention was to use them as limits and a reference for fixed position probing, but actually they have proven to be a lot more repeatable than I expected, at least better than 0.050mm. The pic below shows the Y switch installation:

I bought the Mach3 2010 screen set from Gerry (The CNC Woodworker - Mach3 2010) because I liked the modern look and lack of clutter and especially for the in-built double probing routine for tool length. This is a really nice idea where your movable reference plate is only used to set the tool to the workpiece for the first tool in the job, with all subsequent tools having their lengths set via the fixed probe that is permanently attached to the machine table. As the 30 series machine has such a large table I thought this would be a good upgrade without depriving me of much working area, and it does save a fair bit of time on each tool change. See the fixed position probe plate on a raised pillar on the nearest side of the table in the pic below. The plate is insulated from the pillar using a PEEK rod section (a very stiff engineering plastic). For my movable plate I use a precision ground ceramic cylinder with a press-fit steel cap section on the top.

Finally I made a couple of tramming aids, based on a tip posted by Machine Chick. Just a couple of brackets and jacking screws for adjusting the head angle in tiny and precise increments. I definitely recommend this, it makes tramming MUCH easier. I'm unlikely to ever want to angle the head, but if I ever do it is a simple case of unbolting the button from the casting and the head rotates as normal again. There's an identical one on the other side of the head too.

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Downloads
    Uploads

That's looking pretty sorted - I really must make some of those tramming widgets for mine, they've got to be much better than whacking the head with a mallet!

I really think you need to get some insulation on those limit switches though - I'd be worried about piles of swarf or coolant giving you false activations...

BTW were you wandering round the exhibition at Ally Pally on Sunday? I wasn't sure enough it was you to say hi...

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I was there. Not much of a CNC contingent being represented was there?
    I don't expect a problem with the switches, I don't use coolant and the air blast tends to move the swarf well off the machine. Maybe I'll wack a bit of silicone sealant over the soldered contacts.

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LongRat View Post
    Yes I was there. Not much of a CNC contingent being represented was there?
    I don't expect a problem with the switches, I don't use coolant and the air blast tends to move the swarf well off the machine. Maybe I'll wack a bit of silicone sealant over the soldered contacts.
    I thought it was you - you were the other person between the age of 9 and 67 that was there and not behind a stall

I was rather disapointed to see the only CNC was a whizzy rep-rap making plastic parts that cost more than a kilo of aluminium stock!

It is a bit sad to see the same old manual machines year in and year out, Amadeal were there but they didn't bring any of their rather large Super-X6/7/8 CNC beast which was a shame.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by digits View Post
    I thought it was you - you were the other person between the age of 9 and 67 that was there and not behind a stall

I was rather disapointed to see the only CNC was a whizzy rep-rap making plastic parts that cost more than a kilo of aluminium stock!

It is a bit sad to see the same old manual machines year in and year out, Amadeal were there but they didn't bring any of their rather large Super-X6/7/8 CNC beast which was a shame.
    Ha ha! You got that right! I'm 31 years old and I still feel like a kid when I go to these shows!
    I was happy to see Amadeal too, but you are absolutely right - they didn't bring anything to differentiate themselves from Warco, Chester etc which was a bad move. I wanted to see their bigger machines too.

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Longrat,

Long time no update on this thread.

Did you stick with the 425oz steppers or upgrade them?

Downloads
    Uploads

!
    Sorry I didn't see this reply. Just for the sake of clarity, yes I stuck to the original steppers and the original 39V DC power supply. In fact the whole controller set up is the same I was using back on my old X2 that I built in 2006-7. How's that for reliability? I can't imagine how many thousand hours this has run. Good old stepper motors are incredibly durable, and as for the Gecko G201 drives - performance and value I can't help but be impressed by.

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Weiss WMD30LV conversion project

Would you mind sharing your cad file?

Downloads
    Uploads

Greggan - I have a zip of all the DXFs I used to make a load of the parts for this machine, which has been shared out many times. Happy to send you it if you PM me your email address. It's all 2D stuff, no 3D models or assemblies.
    To update this long-lived thread, I'm still using this machine and run it almost every day still. Still running the original setup including the steppers and controller which are now 14 years old. These 30-series machines, with the right mods, are truly excellent.

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Greggan - I have a zip of all the DXFs I used to make a load of the parts for this machine, which has been shared out many times. Happy to send you it if you PM me your email address. It's all 2D stuff, no 3D models or assemblies.
    To update this long-lived thread, I'm still using this machine and run it almost every day still. Still running the original setup including the steppers and controller which are now 14 years old. These 30-series machines, with the right mods, are truly excellent.
    Hi long rat, I stumbled across this thread doing some research and logged in for the first time in years just to say that's awesome your still running with the original setup and mods.
    You pretty much sold me on the spot about what I was considering as a build.
    Cheers
    -Shaun

Afawer

And what can you say about Alameda courier services. Who used these services before? I am interested in hearing your opinion on this matter, as I have not had such an experience before. I have already got acquainted with their services and prices, it seems that everything suits me, but I want to know your opinion as well.

HI Longrat, I've read through the entire thread and i'm impressed with the work and your knowledge on machining stuff.
    I just purchased a brand new WMD30LV machine at an auction and also planning to convert it to CNC. Already have a lot of other 3d stuff (4 printers, laser cutter and a ox cnc wood mill) So the electronics part should be ok.

I'm just looking in finding the right items and suppliers to buy from for all the mechanical parts especially the ball screws. And as this thread is over 10 years old now the links don't work anymore for some. So if you could help me out as well with the zip file that would be awesome.

Have a happy 2021.

Cheers Zen

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819