Need Help! Recommended end mill supplier?

Thread: Recommended end mill supplier?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Recommended end mill supplier?

Just curious of everyones supplier recommendation for quality carbide end mills, as i'm looking to place an order in prep for the new mill.

I've already got a couple HSS TiN coated sets, but I wanted to get a handfull of quality ones aswell.

I was looking at Grizzly, Maritool and MSC Industrial Supply, can anyone back their quality or have any other suppliers they use?? Price plays a roll also, just looking for the best cost effective solution.

Thanks,
    Riz

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default end mills

hey Riz,

I've picked up some high speed bits from these guys but have only used their ballend for making oiler grooves in a router..

lots of good recommendations on their economy mills.. can't go wrong, especially with no brokerage/duty (they're in BC). try their 1/2" 3 flute.

http://www.cnctoybox.org/store/page51.html

where are you located? i'm in toronto..

Matt

Last edited by mattmark; 05-06-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: update

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

MSC is quite expensive even when on sale. They've been great on the service side (e.g. very promptly replaced an expensive end mill shipment that was lost in shipment when the packaging was breached). They are really fast with ground shipping often showing up next day (19 hours one time from hitting confirm order to having the item in hand with ground shipping).

Lakeshore Carbide or Maritool are the options I'd suggest.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Recommended end mill supplier?

Thanks for the link Matt, I have been looking for a Canadian supplier as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sign up for e-mail notifications from MSC and Enco. Wait for their 30-50% off sales on endmills. Putnam, Greenlee, AccurPro are excellent. Also, try www.cnctoybox.com. They have some very nice endmills for very good prices. Their "ferocious" endmills are not cheap, but are amazing *if* your machine has the spindle power, feedrate, and rigidity necessary to properly use them.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Helical Solutions

Riz,
    I suggest checking out Helical Solutions SC endmills (www.1helical.com). Great quality at great pricing - plus they can delivery special configurations fast. For instance a 1/2 x 1/2 x 1-1/4" x 3" 7-flute finisher is around $41.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for recommending us guys
    I no longer deal with the hss endmills but still have a good stash of them so you can always contact me and if I've got what you need we can work something out pretty cheap .
    Ray you may be glad to know that the prices on all of the CGS Tools have been slashed including the Ferocious
    http://www.cnctoybox.org/store/page18.html

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    Thanks for recommending us guys
    I no longer deal with the hss endmills but still have a good stash of them so you can always contact me and if I've got what you need we can work something out pretty cheap .
    Ray you may be glad to know that the prices on all of the CGS Tools have been slashed including the Ferocious
    http://www.cnctoybox.org/store/page18.html
    Wow! At those prices, it's a no-brainer!

I should also mention the customer support at CNC Toybox is unbeatable! I cannot recommend them highly enough.

And their "hobby" carbide tools are terrific value for the money - really perfect for hobby use. I've never found anything comparable for anywhere near the price.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've always used SGS, Niagara, Melin, Putnam, OSG, Morse, DoAll, Hanita, Weldon, GARR Tool, all of the big name companies.

SGS tends to be the best, but I have always been able to trust Niagara. In 13 years they have not once let me down.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mattmark View Post
    hey Riz,

I've picked up some high speed bits from these guys but have only used their ballend for making oiler grooves in a router..

lots of good recommendations on their economy mills.. can't go wrong, especially with no brokerage/duty (they're in BC). try their 1/2" 3 flute.

http://www.cnctoybox.org/store/page51.html

where are you located? i'm in toronto..

Matt
    Matt, i'm in Alberta, Canada.

I'm quite suprised cnctoybox is selling micro grain carbides so cheap. How are their quality??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the recommendations! I've got some homework to do, especially after gbowne1's haha

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RiZ View Post
    Matt, i'm in Alberta, Canada.

I'm quite suprised cnctoybox is selling micro grain carbides so cheap. How are their quality??
    I won't bs you
    they're decent tools for the price and work well as long as they aren't abused , the econo's are import tools and won't stand the tortures that the American made pro tools will take , but they are a good tool for the price they get the job done and they beat the heck out of having to use hss
    a thing to take into consideration is that the difference in price between the smaller sizes of the pro tools and the econo's is fairly minimal

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I won't bs you
    they're decent tools for the price and work well as long as they aren't abused , the econo's are import tools and won't stand the tortures that the American made pro tools will take , but they are a good tool for the price they get the job done and they beat the heck out of having to use hss
    a thing to take into consideration is that the difference in price between the smaller sizes of the pro tools and the econo's is fairly minimal

I figured they would be imports, but being a beginner and still learning i'd rather play with a few cheaper endmills for now before investing in the more expensive ones!

dertsap, what is the difference between your CGS, Gorilla and now "Ferocious" mills?
    May be a dumb question, but i'm trying to be a sponge right now, soaking up everything I can learn!

Downloads
    Uploads

the ferocious are made by CGS , they are 55 deg high helix strictly aluminum mills , basically a high speed high feed heavy hogging tool ,
    all of the tools have their purpose , I've sort of layed out the website to show the steel only , aluminum only and the all around standard end mill ,
    I'd suggest that if your learning then your best bet may be to get a few standard carbides and some hss mills , hss tends to be more forgiving than carbide so you'd have a lesser chance of breaking the tool and they're cheaper , the trade off is slower speeds and feeds the possibility of chatter and deflection
    personally for home use I use both hss and carbide , professionally I say carbide all the way

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

the ferocious are made by CGS , they are 55 deg high helix strictly aluminum mills , basically a high speed high feed heavy hogging tool ,
    all of the tools have their purpose , I've sort of layed out the website to show the steel only , aluminum only and the all around standard end mill ,
    I'd suggest that if your learning then your best bet may be to get a few standard carbides and some hss mills , hss tends to be more forgiving than carbide so you'd have a lesser chance of breaking the tool and they're cheaper , the trade off is slower speeds and feeds the possibility of chatter and deflection
    personally for home use I use both hss and carbide , professionally I say carbide all the way
    Ahhhh alright that clarifies things up. I have a 2 and 4 flute HSS set already, so I guess it's time to stock up on some carbides now. I'll be puttin an order together soon here with you, thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default canadians..

Quote Originally Posted by sfrankland View Post
    Thanks for the link Matt, I have been looking for a Canadian supplier as well.
    you're welcome - where are you sfrankland?

matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mattmark View Post
    you're welcome - where are you sfrankland?

matt
    St. John's area of Newfoundland.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RiZ View Post
    Ahhhh alright that clarifies things up. I have a 2 and 4 flute HSS set already, so I guess it's time to stock up on some carbides now. I'll be puttin an order together soon here with you, thanks!
    Just keep in mind that to use carbide, you must run much higher RPMs and much higher feedrates, or you'll wear them out quicikly, or have them clogging up on you. Most common hobby mills simply do not have enough spindle speed or rigidity to really benefit from carbide. As an example, the recommended operating conditions for the 1/2" Ferocious endmill is 8,000 RPM, 0.55" DOC, and 100 IPM. You're not going to get anywhere near that with a stock benchtop mill. Even my Bridgeport clone can't run them anywhere near their full capability. By the time you slow it down to what you can do on a benchtop mill, you'd be able to do the same cut with HSS.

Regards,
    Ray L.