Please advise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please advise

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Please advise

Hi all long time no see .

I am after gettinbg a lathe and converting it to CNC I have my eyes on this one

AMA210VG Lathe 8x16

From here

Bench Lathes

Any one know if there any good?.

Now I will convert it to CNC I have no issues getting the steppers to control the axis but I have no idea how I would get mach and my CAM software to control the chuck.

It must be possible as this lathe has a veriable speed control VIA a knob so I assume it has some kind of RPM sensor?.

Please advise.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would be very weary when buying from this buisness,thats only because I've had dealings with them and am very weary of them now and will not deal again.

The ebay link and his listing is misleading compared to that of his buisness site listing to that of the lathe.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have no idea how good (or not) those lathes are. But just because a motor has a variable speed control, that doesn't mean that it has a tachometer (RPM sensor). Even if it does have one, that's not sufficient to do gearless threading. To do that, you'd need to sense each revolution of the spindle. But I believe that Mach3 has a way to input spindle-revolution counts from a target on a flywheel, although I've never implemented that myself.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

this is by no means trying to mislead you from your own link but these fellas are a nice bunch to deal with,this lathe is basically the same plus its cheaper and I don't know of any mini-lathe that has a 600w motor as in your link but as standard they're 500w.....

Model Super C3 Mini Lathe - Arc Euro Trade

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...-C3-Mini-Lathe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HorridHenry View Post
    I would be very weary when buying from this buisness,thats only because I've had dealings with them and am very weary of them now and will not deal again.

The ebay link and his listing is misleading compared to that of his buisness site listing to that of the lathe.
    Thanks for the reply`s all.

I was going to go to his shop in London when I get the funds....I am after a lathe and milling machine I was going to get both on the same day if possible.

What kind of issues did you have mate?.

Thanks

Ah yes Arc I have ordered from the before very good service.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What kind of issues did you have mate?.
    It would be unsporting of me to reveal the issuse I had with them,but believe me I didn't like the product one bit and it was not cheap.

If I had the space I would not have bought a min-lathe and would have rather have a big boys lathe,if you have the space then go for a Boxford or something with a bit of oomph! you cannot go far wrong.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi thanks for getting back to me.

Nope aint got the space .

I have been looking at Chester tooling they sells lathes and milling machines to so may look there all so before commiting.

I must admit thought the machines at Amadeal do look good but of course if they dont perform well then theres no point.

I hope some one else that has machines from Amadeal idealy the same model I was looking at can comment on there machine.

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice little ML7 here,20" between centers so that will make it about 28"/35" long?

MYFORD ML7 LATHE IN EXCELLENT WORKING CONDITION | eBay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HorridHenry View Post
    Nice little ML7 here,20" between centers so that will make it about 28"/35" long?

MYFORD ML7 LATHE IN EXCELLENT WORKING CONDITION | eBay
    I love the ML7`s used one at work.
    This is they go for megga money its got 4 days left I assum it was put on for 5 and has a bid on it all ready that thing will go well over £1000 mark my words.

All so does any one know how to control the chuck from mach what would I need to convert?.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi skt2008

Two things to take into account about machinery that is made n the Far East and readily available in the UK.

1. There are several factories making generic small lathes and there are considerable differences between them. Some of the factories make machines to different standards and badge them for a number of competing importers. That said the standard of these machines has improved which IMHO explains the pressure on those made in Europe and USA. Go and have a look at machines feel the quality of movements and amount of play (back lash etc.) Then decide!

2. The conversion to CNC is easier the larger the cross slide If you want to use a ball screw.

I have the smaller brother of the AMA210 and it is OK and I have collected ball screws for all three axis. Yes the motor speed can be controlled on the smaller one and probably on the 8xX but check that the control voltage on the variable pot that controls the voltage in manual form.

Look at the Mini Lathe web site and explore it and the links as there is a lot of information. Versions - other 7x

For example look at pictures that include the tail stock. Many have a very short base - the Amadeal - Warco machines use a longer one which is less prone to rock. Suggest that might look at the Warco website Variable Speed Lathes - Metalworking, quality machine tools at Warco as these are similar to the Amadeal. I have dealt with both companies and found then helpful and able to supply spares. Needless to say I have no connection with either company but note both supply machines that are set up and ready to go.

If you want to index the chuck then you need to adapt the spindle to take a stepper motor. This would be an easy modification and there are examples on this site of people who have built very successful 4th axis heads using just the headstock casting.

However before you splash your cash consider what the chances are of needing a bigger machine as well as the accuracy you are going to need. There are tempting machines on ebay and at the machine merchants dealing with second user machines. The main question is the price of spares and any missing accessories as well as the use to which they had been put.

Hope this helps - you could take a round trip to Amadale and Warco and possibly Arceuro in a single day and this would answer some if not all the basic questions as all 7xX and 8xX from the Far East are definitely different in more than paint and badges!

Regards - Pat

Downloads
    Uploads

STK2008 - to get your axes syched up to your spindle rotation you need an index pulse reader. Something like this: CNC4PC
    You have a disc on your spindle with a slot in it and an optical light gate that reads off a pulse from each rev. Setting it up is a piece of cake.
    Good luck getting your lathe. Shame you don't have space for a bigger machine like a Boxford (I have one, an AUD). But the smaller Chinese lathes aren't too bad and are getting better all the time. I won't comment on the best retailer to buy from but if you are planning to visit the premises then you would probably have more info than anyone in order to make your decision.

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the input lads.

I will take a DTI and other bits to test the backlash and other things on these machines when I am ready to make a purchase.

Is there an in depth build log of how to convert a lathe to CNC I mainly need the spinlde control side.

I have all ready designed and built a 3 axis milling machine so I am happy on how to do the axis side of things.

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The conversion is relatively straight forward if you forgo the compound slide. Many of these lathes have a spindle pickoff consisting of an optical multi vane shutter and also have a threaded shaft that enables a bigger more precise indexing slotted disc to be attached to the rear of the headstock. If you have converted a mill you should have no problems. Do a search on lathe CNC conversions and there are even some commercial kits available. The compound slide is not much needed for CNC as the combined X&Y can simulate the motion.

PS. You can feel the slop and general lack of rigidity is some versions! There is a good guide to buying a second-hand lathe (would also apply to a new one) in the book by Peter Wright 'Model Engineering A Foundation Course' ISBN 978-1-85486-152-8 which you might be able to borrow from your public library.

Good luck - regards - Pat

Last edited by wildwestpat; 03-18-2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: PS added

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just a small update.

Been looking around and found where Amadeal get there machines from

Company |WEISS MACHINERY

Any one heard of them?

Downloads
    Uploads

Yep, Weiss are well known on the CNC Zone. Lots of people have Weiss mills and lathes, the consensus is they are amongst the nicer of the cheap machine tools coming out of China. The "BF" clone mills are probably the most popular mills out there at the moment for CNC conversion. I've got a Weiss BF30 clone machine (clone because the 'original' machine was from Optimum marketed under the model name BF30). The smaller BF20 is probably the most converted machine of late. Do a search on BF20 or G0704 or whatever other name the machine goes by and you will find enough reading material to last you several months.

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sweet so if I get from amadeal I should be getting a resonably good machine for the price .

I will look thanks so much.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow thanks LongRat this has helped me I have found more info on amadeal lathes and mills since you gave me the other model numbers they go off.

They seem to have good rating all be it for the price.

I am looking at this lathe

AMA210VG Lathe 8x16

and this milling machine

AMA25LV - MT3 Spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

The 25LV is a nice machine. Easy to convert and plenty of advice how if you get stuck because they are so popular. The main, if not only weak point is the motor control and spindle drive. A motor upgrade and belt drive for the spindle are common mods and well worth the effort. The standard speeds are slow and not ideal for aluminium and smaller tools, which this machine is otherwise perfectly sized to use.
    As for the lathe, I'm not sure so much. Could be a Weiss-type machine or a Sieg, I don't have one so I am no expert here. I'd say Weiss have the better reputation for quality.

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Really the motors wont do ally very well?

that seems a bit bad as thats the main reason I want a milling machine.
    I have a CNC milling machine I designed and built my self but thats for wood only as it uses a router and the slowest speed the router does is like 10000 RPM and it just dont like cutting ally.

I really dont want to have to spend money on a new motor etc as I want to spend the money on stepper motors for the lathe and then the milling machine at a later date.

EDIT

Just looked at the max spindle speed for that machine and its 2250RPM so your saying its to slow for ally?.

I have no idea what the best speeds are as I have not looked into speeds and feeds for ally really suppose I should do tbh :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast