Removing R8 key from X3 Spindle shaft

Thread: Removing R8 key from X3 Spindle shaft

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Removing R8 key from X3 Spindle shaft

Hey all,

Anyone know how to remove the pin that engages the R8 collet from the spindle shaft of an X3? I've got it torn all the way down for a bearing swap and want to get rid of the thing. It has a larger shoulder on the outside of the pin, so you can't push it through, and I don't see a great way of pushing it out from the inside without potentially scratching the inside surface.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Adam S

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi stag53

It is not a good idea to remove the pin it is there so the collet does not spin in the taper
    also to if it is not there if you get a tight thread trying to change the collet will not be easy as you have nothing to stop the collet from spinning while you undo the drawbar thread

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Appreciate your advice. I've worked on a number of 2HP Bridgeports that didn't have the key in it, and never had a problem... I can't imagine my little X3 has enough power to spin a collet. I guess it's one of those age-old debates...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I changed my shaft out a few weeks ago, I had to take mine out and put it in the new shaft.

I used an r8 arbor and turned the end down on a taper, then slid the arbor in where the taper started to contact the pin. I knocked it right out with a couple of taps from a 2lb sledge. BUT, I didn't plan on using that shaft again.

Another alternative is the drill and thread a small pull screw into it and use a slide hammer.

But, like the others said. There is no point in removing it all together. It needs to be there to keep the oil and grease from getting contaminated also. The location that it is in is on the edge of the bearing. It's to easy for swarf and debris to get in and destroy the bearings.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stag,

Why are you switching the bearings?....and which ones are you replacing them with?

Caleb105

Harbor Freight X3, Keling 387inoz 23's, 640inoz 34, G203V's, Homebuilt 65V PSU, PMDX-122 BOB, NOOK XPR screws, NOOK SBN ballnuts, Shuttle Pro2, Mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Replacing the bearing because there was some strange noises when I rotated the shaft when I rec'd it. Tried to adjust preload... same problems. Preload was very hard to adjust also. Grizzly suspects it is due to the spindle shaft and/or bearings... sent me a new shaft and bearings. Btw, they have some awesome customer support.

This has wound up as a great excuse to buy a blind bearing puller and hyd press (my little arbor press doesn't cut it).

Will be reassembling when I return from a business trip in a couple of weeks and stop by Harbor Freight to buy the press...

Thanks for the help

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi stag53

If you have to press the bearings on to the spindle then they are to tight if you could post a photo of the spindle it would give a better idea of how it should be assembled if the bearings are to tight you will be able to feel the roughness in the bearings that you had before

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

I've replaced the bearings a few times in my X2 heads. You need to lightly sand the upper bearing seat in order to have a decent fit. Mine came too tight. This is where you will get your preload from. If too tight, it will not back off any when presure is released. Mine still require a little pressing, but the last time I used the heat and freeze method. They just fell together. If done right, you may never need to do it again.

Lee