emco pc mill 50 & similar - Page 5

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: emco pc mill 50 & similar

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Randy,

That vise is basically a drill press vise, not a milling vise. It doesn't look like it "pulls down" when tightened to prevent jaw lift, thus tilting the part. That is probably what is causing the inaccuracy. If you draw file the sides before hand billet stock is usually pretty flat and square.

A good alternative would be a precision screw-less vise. They come in a variety of sizes (3" jaw width would work well) are square and flat on all sides and pull down to prevent lift. The downsides are an allen key is needed to tighten/loosen them and they don't provide the clamping force of a Kurt style vise. For the size of machine this limited clamping force will not be a problem.
    Also, they don't have separate jaws so soft-jaws are out of the question.
    If you go this route be sure to get one(s) with clamping slots on the sides and tapped holes in the solid jaw to mount a stop.

Thanks for all the pics,
    Serge

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Serge.

Tonight, I happened to pay a little more attention to a couple of Allen setscrews on the top of the sliding jaw of my vise (60mm jaw width); adjusting these setscrews against their gibs totally eliminated the lifting resulting in zero tilting of the part, verified with a dial indicator as the vise was tightened.

Problem solved.

Randy

Randy Forbes, Sports Cars Plus, LLC
    [url]www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3[/url]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Randy,

Whose, and what type of, vise are you using?

BR,
    Lan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lanb View Post
    Randy,

BR,
    Lan

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lanb View Post
    Randy,

BR,
    Lan
    If you're looking for a GREAT milling vise, check out www.glacern.com. I bought one of their premium milling vices a couple of months ago (they were offering a discount for CNCZone members at the time), and it is an absolute work of art! The workmanship is absolutely first-rate, and it work flawlessly - dead flat and square, with near zero lift. It even comes with an inspection certificate showing how true it is. It's almost too pretty to actually put in harms way!

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Software problems

Hello.
    My name is Friedemann and since yesterday I am a pround owner of an Emco Pc turn 50 too.It is a very nice machine.
    But I have got a problem.I just have installed the Rs 485 Card but I have got Problems with installing the software.
    (I have a original version of WINCAM X9Y510)The first Data disk didnt run.
    Has anybody the same software to send me a copy?
    If I have time I'll shoot a few fotos of the machine.

(New dell PC Win 98/ Machine Number:A6MI7041)
    DocFreeman@gmx.net

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DocFreeman View Post
    Hello.
    My name is Friedemann and since yesterday I am a pround owner of an Emco Pc turn 50 too.It is a very nice machine.
    But I have got a problem.I just have installed the Rs 485 Card but I have got Problems with installing the software.
    (I have a original version of WINCAM X9Y510)The first Data disk didnt run.
    Has anybody the same software to send me a copy?
    If I have time I'll shoot a few fotos of the machine.

(New dell PC Win 98/ Machine Number:A6MI7041)
    DocFreeman@gmx.net
    E-mail sent, hope it helps.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

DocFreeman,

One fo the first things you are going to need to do is look through your disks and see if you have an MSD disk from Emco. If you do great if not you will need to contact emcomaier-usa with your serial number and model number and get a copy of the correct msd disk for your system.

After that let me know. I have some emails I can modify and post here with all the steps Iwnet through to get my PC Mill 50 working. BTW, this software needs to be installed under win98 preferably on a clean windows install. Emco recommends removing modem and network cards prior to the clean windows install to avoid interference.

BR,
    Lan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for your help. The software is running now.It was a problem with the instaled windows.I formated the computer and after that It worked.
    But now I have got the next problem.If I want to start the nc Modeus in the WIN CAM software the software shows me an NC Error "No connection to the RS 485 Board" But the card is still in the Slot...Who can help me?
    Ps: The exact error is: "2520 ORD 1 Fehlender RS485 Teilnehmer (AC)" means missing RS485 member

thank a lot: Friedemann

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doc Freeman,

First please pardon my delay in getting back with you. Now on to your problem.

I should have had you do another step first.

Starting from scratch, here are the steps to get a PC Mill 50 up and running:
    1) Boot the pc and get into the BIOS setup.
    2) (For early award BIOS systems) If you have a different BIOS try and find similar setting. If there are no setting for these parameters, sorry to say you need a "new" computer. In reality you need an older PC which is what I needed to acquire before I could get this card to install properly
    a) Go to the "PNP and PCI setup" page
    b) Change ISA mem block base to CC00
    c) change ISA mem block size to 8k
    d) Save the changes and exit.
    3) Remove any modem or ethernet cards from the system and disable any built in one from within the BIOS setup.

If you have Win98 installed, remove and reinstall the WinCAM or WinNC software. At this point the PC does not need to be connected to the Mill. If the mill is connected and you are no longer getting any errors, great. If the Mill is not connected and you now get a new error indicating the mill is not connected also great. You are ready to try the software. If however, you are still getting the 2520 RS485 not present error go to step 4 below

4) Perform a clean install of Win98
    5) Reinstall the WinCAM or WinNC software.

Start the software and check for errors.

If you are still getting the 2520 error please let me know and I will get further instructions to you. I have to go back and duplicate the other error possibilities and provide solutions.

The RS485 card and Emco software are very fussy in that they want to run on older PCs. I had to buy an old PC for $45 to run my system on, everything I had sitting around was too new and did not allow me to make the BIOS changes and without them I could not get this running.

Keep teh faith, if you have WinCAM this is a very sweet and simple CAD/CAM package that can be learned very quickly and get you up and cutting quickly. Once you have everything running on the mill, you can try to reinstall a network card and it should no longer interfere. That is what the BIOS setting prevent.

Good luck and let me know how it is going.

BR,
    Lan Brooks

ps. I worked with two other owners, Emco support and some colleagues that used to program drivers for Win98 before I could get my system working. I think I help you through any problems if needed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

RE: Networking old 98 PC's and the EMCO Mill/Lathe.

I worked around the network card address issue by networking through the USB port... IE I installed a wireless USB Network Adapter. ZERO ISSUES.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kmckenn View Post
    RE: Networking old 98 PC's and the EMCO Mill/Lathe.

I worked around the network card address issue by networking through the USB port... IE I installed a wireless USB Network Adapter. ZERO ISSUES.
    I am not sure what you are saying you did here.

Are you using a PC Mill 50 with the original electronics in the mill?
    How are you making the connection at the Mill end?
    What OS are you using?
    Are you using Emco's WinCAM software to control the mill or a non-EMCO softwre package?

I would really like to hear about how you set up your system.

BR,
    Lan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I'd first setup my PC-Mill55 and PC-Turn55, the obvious thing was to try to network the PC's. Anyone who has tried this knows it is extremely difficult, if at all possible in some circumstances.

The setups, on both:

350P2 PC with ISA Slots
    OEM ISA EMCO Controller Card (had to purchase from EMCO @ $600-$800 each)
    WIN98SE
    FANUC Emulation Software
    NO Control (IE - Std PC Keyboard/Mouse setup)

I had been in contact with EMCO HQ in Columbus Ohio (I live within 50 miles of that location), and I was told that the setup could not be NETWORKED together with either ISA or PCI Ethernet, network cards.

Being a moderate computer geek and unwilling to accept WALKING programs created on one PC to the WIN98SE PC's by 3.5" floppies (etc.), I bought Linksys USB -> Wireless network adapters..... and well, it WORKED!

This setup is on the assumption that you have completely functional EMCO PC setups, and are trying to solve network connectivity issues with those PC's. Any WIN98 compatible USB -> Ethernet/Networking device will solve that problem

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ahh. The main difference between the PC Mill/Turn 55 and the PC Mill/Tuen 50 (which Ihave) is the electronics package. The 50s use an Emco proprietary RS485 in the PC and a different controller in the Mill.

I need to find a way to be able to use a generic RS485 driver at some point since the EMCO RS485 is so expensive.

I like you networking solution though. The EMCO RS485 card does not play well with network cards per Emco tech support although I have not tried it myself yet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Emco Noob

Hello all, I am so relieved to have found this forum, I thought I may have made a huge mistake buying a machine I know nothing about. I just purchased a beautiful Emco PC Turn 50 that came with the original pc with the RS485 card, running Windows 3.1 with WinNC on it, but no MSD disk and no Fanuc control console. This is my first mini CNC machine however I have been running full size CNC lathes for years as my occupation. So, I got it home and realized the key for the power switch was missing. I picked the lock with a tiny screwdriver and was able to flip the switch on, but I am still getting no power, or atleast I don't think I am. Should I hear any fans running or see any LED's lit up under the rear panel? It does absolutely nothing. Also, I did not get any manuals or hard copies of software with the machine, could anyone provide me with a source for such?
    I would really ppreciate any help as I am really feeling pretty lost here
    Thanks in advance

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I just went out to the garage and with my PC turned off, when I turn on the key switch I get fan noises from the back. I do not have access to my back panel at this time but as I recall come of the LEDs do light up.

I have an electrical manual for this machine bu tI will have to dig it out. I might have a soft copy I can send you as well.

As we get started there are a couple of things you should consider. First, this system will run just fine as a G code machine driven by a simulator from the PC so you do not need the control console unless you want on ein which case keep and eye on EBay, and this forum as well as teh Emco F1 and Emco CNC users forms on yahoo.

You can get the MSD disk via email from Emco. I am assuming you are US based so you will want to contact Zak Lyon at Emco zlyon<AT>emcomaier-usa<DOT>com.

I think you are going to want to convert the PC to Win98 SE so be able to use newer Emco software. But this is your choice. I am running WinCAM which is a Drafting, CAM and NC Controller package for Win98 and works very nicely although I have not made many parts with it yet. All the software for Win98 and all the manuals are available for purchase from Emco and some of them can be obtained at no cost for emailed copies although teh size of teh PDFs is a problem for a lot of email systems.

Back to the mill, I also did not have a key but after looking up the key switch part number in the manuals was able to buy a new lock with key on Ebay for under 10 bucks.

Have you checked the fuse in the holder where teh power cable attaches to the mill?

I will think about this more and try to locate some more info later tonight. I need to head into work now.

BR,
    Lan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lan, can't thank you enough for the help.
    I'm sure I can make out without the control console as long as its not needed, good to know. Yes, I'm in the US, I'll send Zak an email for the MSD disk as soon as I get home so I can get the serial number off the machine. I probably will go ahead and convert to Win98, but for now, my main concern is just to make sure the machine is functional. I did check the fuse in the holder at the main power cable, it was ok. I was sort of confused as there are settings for 120v and 100v, I have 110v so I am assuming I should leave it on the 120v setting? Having the back panel off, I checked the lead labeled "power supply" where it goes into the electronics and there was power there.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alping45,

What is the model number on your PC Mill 50? I found my elecrical doc but need to know if it matches your mill.

BR,
    Lan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lan, Actually its a PC-Turn 50 lathe, not mill. Sorry for the confusion. Don't know if the electronics would be similar?

Anway, not sure what would be the model number, so here is all the info I see on the machine:

WHITE NAME PLATE:
    EMCO A6L31100003G
    G.E. - KASTEN

METAL NAME PLATE:
    PC TURN 50 -
    110/230 V
    50/60 Cycle 1/N/PE
    5.5amp / 2.6 amp
    600 watts
    51-100% ED
    Fabrication # AGLG3002

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alping45,

Once you are in contact with Zak, you should see if he will send you an electronic copy of the correct Electrical Documentation for you lathe.

BR,
    Lan

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast