emco pc mill 50 & similar - Page 13

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: emco pc mill 50 & similar

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I'm in 1/10 microstepping. I'm running Gecko drives which are fixed at this setting, so I didn't get a choice.

Assuming all the ballscrews are metic, I don't see much point in setting the software to run in inches. If it's Mach3, I'd suppose you'd want to do the set-up in metric, but then drive the user interface in inches, if that's what you like (I run all metric even though all my other machines are in inches).

I'm guessing daus300b is using his G540 to drive the spindle through a VFD - perhaps he'd like to give some more detials of his conversion, so we can advise or admire further.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by yvesdupre View Post
    The Pitch of the ball screw is 2.5mm per rev and it has a 1:2 ratio to the stepper.
    If you have bipolar steppers it is 160 full steps per mm or 320 in half step.
    I guess Uuu has the stepper in 1/10 microstepping mode.
    I have been working with LinuxCNC and in the configuration wizard, that gives me .4rev/mm or 10.16 rev/in. For anyone interested, I also counted 20 teeth on the motor pulley and 40 teeth on the ballscrew pulley.

I got the machine to jog the other night. It was quite a sight to jog the machine on the x-axis .001" in one direction and then back .001" and see no backlash!

Daus

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

On my PC50 mill, I noticed standard "roller" limit switches on one end of each axis. I also noticed what looked to be proximity probes. Does the PC50 mill use both or do you think one set was added on aftermarket?

Daus

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G540 and VFD

On my machine I am running my teco VFD thru my G540 I also have a sensor up above and can get 3500 rpms out of the original motor.

There was a question regarding the prox switches on each axis, they are factory original and not an add on. The original control read the pulse to confirm that the axis was moving. You can stall out a stepper and have the control think it is driving when in reality it is just sitting there.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is interesting. I have never heard of that extra precaution used on a CNC machine before, only the use of limits. I would think this would be unnecessary if one is reasonable with their feeds. I would presume that the roller switches are the ideal switches to be used for homing, correct?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use the roller switches in series for homing (so Mach3 homes each axis in turn) and then rely on the "soft limits" system to keep me from hitting the ends.

I've not tested the repeatability of the homing motion - I'll always be setting zero positions for my workspace separately.

I've removed the rotation sensors.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Homing switches and LinuxCNC

I got the homing switches to work. You can view the setup and video below:

Homing switches and LinuxCNC setup « To Travel is Better Than to Arrive

I gather that the Y-axis is setup to have the switch depressed the whole time during the operation of the CNC. The X and Z axis seems to be unswitched during operation.

Daus

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 6 to one, 1/2 a dozen to the other

Looks like you have it doing what you want. On my machine I have it hit the switches and then it stays up in the switch positions. My home is in the center of my axis travels on X and Y and Z zero is -.250" from my z switch.
    When I then tell the machine to home it goes and stays in the extreme + locations untell I command it to go to my Home Zero locations. I do this for a few reasons. The first is that when I finish running my machine for the day I send it back to the home switches and the next time I fire her up and home the machine it only travels about 1/8" before it hits the switches. The second reason is for tool changes I have it go to my + axis extremes and then I have it do a tool length offset at that location. The third reason is I am an old school mold maker (aerospace) and we always worked off of the center of everything so I set my machien up that way along with my cad and cam systems.

I am not positive but I do remember hearing or reading somewhere that the original EMCO control read the pulse from the axis prox switches and if they were missing it would shut down.

I have one of them mounted in my spindle cover reading a stud I have mounted on my spindle shaft. That is what I am using to pulse my control for spindle control. And it works great.

I am running Mach and know nothing about your control program so I am unable to gve you much help or advice on how to set yours up.
    My machine with Mach and a G540 has a 15" touch screen, mouse and Xbox 360 controller. I wired all of my limit switches in series so that I could retain 2 inputs on my control. These two spare inputs are used for digitizing, tool setter. and a few other top secret applications. I also run a modified webcam for visual measuring applications and of course my 4th axis also gets used alot.

The Emco is one end of machine extremes in my current life. I am doing some work in a large facility that happens to have the largest dual gantry 5 axis cnc in North America. X travel is 60 feet with a Y travel of 11' 6" and 84" under the spindle. This comapny also has 2 single gantry 5 axis machines with tables that are 98"x180" and travels of 168" x 106" x 72". All the rest of the machines in this plant are just a little smaller than those and also include 6 axis machines.

It is funny to design things that are cut on machines that use a spindle head bigger than my Emco.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys,

Can anyone help me with the original software (WinNC version 3.3) of a EMCO PC Mill 50?? I have the ISA Card Controller.

Thanks,
    Bruno Monteiro (brunotaxi@sapo.pt)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Busted belt

What size is are the belts on the PCMILL 50? I've bust my x axis one and need to find a supplier quickly. It would be better if I had the technical specks. The one mentioned in the parts manual is ZRM 525 520, but that is meaningless to me and Google.

Yours Simon M.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Y axis "jumps"

Having just about finished my PCMILL 50 rebuild, I discover that the Y axis movement isn't smooth. There is a cyclic clunking from the drive and the bed jumps at the same time. What could cause this?

Yours Simon M.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Clunking Solved!

The toothed belt cog on the end of the screw had worked undone!
    Simple remedy.

Yours Simon M.

Now I can get on and learn how to use it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails emco pc mill 50 & similar-img_3131b2-jpg   emco pc mill 50 & similar-img_3139b-jpg   emco pc mill 50 & similar-img_3142b-jpg   emco pc mill 50 & similar-img_3143b-jpg  

emco pc mill 50 & similar-img_3144b-jpg  
    Last edited by samarkh; 09-21-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Pictures added

Downloads
    Uploads

I have just bought a PC Mill 50 and am interested in refitting it so I can use a newer PC and more up to date software, this is about the most informative thread I have found about this mill. The most used method on here seems to have been Gecko and Mach 3. As its been almost a year since anyone has posted, I am wondering if this is still the case or if there are better options now, controllers for the existing 5 phase steppers etc

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No in my opinion, I have not found a better controller or software,,,
    Bob
    RCREDD

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks RCREDD, I am new to CNC and there is not much info around about these machines and their capabilities.
    Does the move away from 5 phase steppers result in any decreased accuracy or likelyhood of missed steps?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No there is no missed steps when a mechanically sound conversion is done. As for accuracy,, the combination I use its generally more accurate than the machine is mechanically capable of.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have retrofitted two EMCO's with Gechodrive G540 and 280oz stepper motors, if you are new in CNC or have not worked with a serious machine you will be very happy with. Max rapid ( without lose steps ) will be 1200mm/min, max feed I achieved was 600mm/min, max RPM of the spindle was around 3600 RPM using a variable frequency drive controlled by the computer. One of the machines have 4th axis using a stepper motor and a harmonic drive. I have added to both machines a automatic lube sistem in all the ways controlled by the G&M program.
    I got good money with a small production using them, bought a Haas Mini Mill but still keep one of the EMCO, really nice small machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have an Emco PC Turn 120 with the rs485 card and want to upgrade the 486sx 25 to something newer, the term rs422 and rs485 are industry standards, I don't know what would be proprietary about a serial communication card. the original cards have jumpers to set addressing and winnc is configured accordingly. on a newer computer the address is set via plug and prey. I have winnc ver 13.65 and win95 I am looking for a newer version of winnc and I will try an off the shelf rs485 controller and see if I can get everything working. I would at least like to upgrade to win xp. pm me if you can help with newer software.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have just started to strip the pc mill 50 electronics out, I have a new PSU, VDF, Steppers, Gecko 540, and Mach 3. All the original Emco parts I am removing are going on ebay in case anyone is interested in standard parts.

The conversion looks fairly straight forward and has been covered here many times, I do have a couple of questions though;
    The mill has what look like proximity switches, think I saw a post that mentioned these were used to feedback that the axis was moving to prevent stalls etc, can these not be utilized in the converstion, guessing they are not needed if people are not using them?
    I was thinking of adding home switches, has anyone else bothered fitting these or is it as easy to get a position off the limit switches.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Dee436,

I have not used these "proximity switches" because will work as a encoder with a very low resolution, a average encoder will deliver thousands of pulses x revolution, this one will deliver 1 pulse per revolution.
    When use high feeding speeds in my machine sometimes have lose of steps, barely perceptible, may be a few degrees, in that cases these switch you mention will not be useful.
    With the experience I have now, a direct coupling of the stepper motor to the screw could be my desicion, without the timing belts, in this manner you will have 2,5 more speed in the axis, and precision of 0.0013mm per step using gecko g540 ( 2.5mm / 2000 ), the modern stepper motors have at least 2 times more torque that old Emco variable reluctance motors.
    Limit switches are very important, you can put only at home then use a soft limit in the Mach3, the program will decrease the speed slowly up to stop it entirely when you are reaching this soft limit in the oppose end of the phisical switch.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 310111213141516 ... LastLast