emco pc mill 50 & similar - Page 7

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: emco pc mill 50 & similar

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the delay in a follow up posting. I've been rebuilding the PC Mill 50.

Breakout board is PMDX 125 running a PMDX 107 spindle control daughter board. These are mounted on a aluminium plate sotted into the circuit board rack at the back of the machine. They'll be wired up to one of the EMCO front plates with all the connectors on, so maintaining the neat look.

Stepper drivers are Gecko, also mounted on an aluminium plate, again with one of the original face plates to carry the connectors. I'm running these off the 24V original supply. I'll see if this goes fast enough for me before deciding if I need more.

Steppers are Chinese 180Nm. These have 6mm shafts, so the belt pulleys fit without needing to be bored out. The pulleys have been shortened slightly to retain alignement with the belts and the shafts cross drilled for the same 2mm drive pins. The old holes in the pulleys were not precision aligned, so the new holes are at 90 degrees to the old. Motors are mounted to the original plates slightly rotated from the old positions, for new mounting holes.

Spindle inverter is a Mitsubishi S500.

Original axis home switches are retained. The leadscrew rotation sensors are discarded.

I have a MPG Jog wheel and an XYZA rotary switch to control which axis is active, and another to set mode and speed. I have a cunning plan to use some VB script in Mach3 so each 4-position swich need only use two inputs.

So far I have the whole thing wired up on a test basis and am about to begin the final assembly.

Wilfrid

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default WinCAM software

Does anyone have a recent copy of WinCAM? I had my backup on a CD and it got scratched and I cannot seem to locate the original disk/s I bought from Emco last year. I need to reload the software to recover the ability to do 3-D simulation which I messed up while attempting to create a new tool form.

Feel free to contact me via private message it you can help.

Thanks,
    Lan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hey guys

This forum has the most information on the EMCO PC Turn50 so I figured I post my question in here.
    I have a EMCO PC Turn 50 without the controller. I have an older PC with the original EMCO RS485 card, but I want to control the EMCO through LabVIEW. I bought a RS485 to USB converter from National Instruments and I think I get connected to the EMCO but I think that I need the right command list (probably HEX code) to activate each of the motors.
    Does anybody have any information on this?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Group,

Like everybody else, I too have acquired an old and run down, albeit fixable, EMCO PC Mill 50 without a computer, dongle, card, software, you name it. It is possible that I am lacking a module as there is an opening at the back of the machine and some cables hanging off, although I can not possibly think of what this feature would be. The spindle control is there, the power supply is clearly in place, and the three axis motors and sensor modules are present. Could this be an optional spot for something else? Perhaps you can answer this questions first!

I am starting to think that to get this machine to work with the original material is just not worth it. I am seriously considering to use my own bipolar stepper motors and discard the 5 phase steppers which are going to be hard like hell to get a driver for.

For electronics, I have a few designs that are working well, so I will use those as well. I am thinking that 5A should be more than plenty for this machine.

But before I go there, is it possible to get a copy of the manual? I have read most of the posts and it is clear the manual is somewhere out there. I would truly appreciate it if somebody could share it with me. Thanks!

Best regards,

JIQ

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you sure they are bipolar steppers? Or are they 5 phase steppers? Thanks!

[EDIT] OK, Never mind, you are talking about the 30, and I was talking aobut the 50. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by txcowdog View Post
    Lan,

The only schematics I have is for the stepper motors. It seems that the ones used on the PC Mill 30 were made in France and I found the manufacturer who was kind enough to send schematics for the motors so if you are thinking of changing out the controls to something current, I believe the motors are bipolar and 120 oz/in. I would be happy to send the pdfs if you feel they would be of any help.

Last edited by CNC-Dude; 12-14-2010 at 08:22 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

>JIQ,

Welcome to the board/thread, as I said on the other thread,I wanted to keep everything here for convenience. As you can tell from the posting I have a PC Mill 50 and it is operational. I am using the Emco WinCAM software as both a CAM package and a machine controller. So I will try to answer your question for you now.

>Could this be an optional spot for something else? Perhaps you can answer this questions first!

From the sounds of it you Mill had a SPS 2000 card installed. This card controlled an optional programmable door and/or an optional spindle blow out device. The system will function fine without them. Mine also came less this card but with some of the wiring and a blank space but without any of the physical hardware.

>I am starting to think that to get this machine to work with the original material is just not worth it. I am seriously considering to use my own bipolar stepper motors and discard the 5 phase steppers which are going to be hard like hell to get a driver for.

I would take a little time and see if you can acquire the Emco RS485 board. This was the only piece missing on mine and ended up costing me around $500 on EBay. New ones are around $2000 if Emco still has them. I have also seen them go for less. The original WinCAM software costs $250 and that is about what a different controller interface also costs. You can set the 50 up with WinCAM or an emulator for a number of industry standard controllers which would then be able to download g-code from you favorite CAM package or editor. The other hurdle is acquiring an old enough PC with win98 to run the software. I suspect there is a way to emulate the RS485 card and use a standard serial port for output but I have not taken the time yet to find a serial analyzer and record the port communication between the PC and the card and the card and the mill. Another option soon to be announced by Emco is an upgraded ACC unit for the mill that can communicate over ethernet. This will be a $3200 upgrade and more than I care to spend at the present time. Along with that I would upgrade to the newer and more user friendly CAM Concept software which is $1700 or $525 to upgrade from WinCAM. BTW all this software is available from EMCO as are all the manuals.
    Support is available as well from EMCO USA at: http://www.emcomaier-usa.com

As to a conversion to another controller, the interface between the PC Mill 50 controller board and the stepper drive board appears to be logic level step and direction signals. I believe, but do not know for sure, that you should be able to take a program like EMC on a PC with a parallel port and directly drive this board. I have not had the need to find out.

For electronics, I have a few designs that are working well, so I will use those as well. I am thinking that 5A should be more than plenty for this machine.

>But before I go there, is it possible to get a copy of the manual? I have read most of the posts and it is clear the manual is somewhere out there. I would truly appreciate it if somebody could share it with me. Thanks!

I would be happy to send you a copy of the EMCO PC Mill 50 Electrical Documentation in pdf format if you contact me directly at lanb at pobox dot com This is also available from Emco in electronic format or you can still buy the manual in hard copy if you wish. (because of that I will not post it anywhere)

I hope this answers your question and gets you started.

Best regards and good luck,
    Lan

>Best regards,

>JIQ[/QUOTE]

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi lanb,

This is uperb information! Thank you very much for compiling it. I will contact you separately to get a copy of the manual in PDF format. Perhaps these following questions are answered there, but in case they are not let me ask:

1. I noticed each axis seems to have two position sensors. One of them is a push button (Ref Sensor) which I can actuate, and the other is an optical sensor (Sync Sensor). Why does the machine requires two sensors? Is this for redundancy?

I am going to try and see if I can use the DIR/STEP method. If this is the case, this machine is as good as running! I could use any computer with MACH3 in a split second. All I would require is a parallel interface board and that is superbly easy to get.

Again, thanks for your help with this exciting equipment! Best regards,

JIQ

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks to lanb I know have a pretty good idea of the signals in question. It seems it should be fairly easy to use MACH3 if we bypass the Axis Control module. There is a trick, though...

Control signals into the stepper axis drivers are differential (+/-) instead of single ended. This is the easy part as there is tons of circuitry to interchange from one to the other.

The hard part (and hopefully somebody in here can shed some light into the situation) will be to decipher some of the signals. I understand pretty well the DIR and the CLK. DIR chooses the direction of rotation for the motor in question (three axis and the spindle or main drive). CLK is the step rate.

The ones I do not fully understand are SR X, SR Z, E-Achse and SR Y. The SR signals seem to be some form of synchronization. Are they like a shaft encoder output to determine whether the step took place or not? This signal is not differential.

E Achse beats me! Achse is german for Axis. This signal is only present on the Z Axis. What is it?

The spindle or Main Drive (MD) is an even larger mystery. It has the DIR and CLK, but then add three more differential signals: E/AMD, NI and SR as well as a single ended IA. What are these? Completely lost on these ones...

My next step is to connect MACH3 to the stepper drivers and through a differential line driver. I may be able to run like this even if I do not use the synchronization signals. Will see...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have this card for sale if anyone needs it. $125 takes it.

UUU, Mind sending me your email in a PM? I'm curious to see the retrofit...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just finishing up the retrofit on my PC MILL 55. Selling off the old replaced parts.
    I have the console (some of the buttons are for lathe not mill) The original computer with hensteeth cards (dongle cards, I think they are called), software (including MC9) the 3 stepper motors, driver boards, spindle drive, main brain card and cables.
    Currently the items are listed on Fleabay as a package deal. Willing to break up package.

Downloads
    Uploads

Has anybody looked into Mike's Free Interface for the F1 CNC? PC Mill 50 seems to be a F1 CNC machine. My machine has a label that states it is a F1 CNC.

If Mikes Interface works, do I still need the ISA card, or will any RS484 card do?

I will try to take this machine back to life as it is, not the MACH3 retrofit as that is just too complex. If I can not resicitate it, I will have to sell it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

... just chiming back into this group.

I have a pair of EMCO very little used PC machines... a PC-Mill55 and a PC-Turn55.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

(RECOVERED POST BELOW)

Last edited by kmckenn; 02-11-2011 at 01:14 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

... just chiming back into this group. This looks like it is becomeing a very nice source of information for people coming into these machines. So, shere's what I can help with.

I have a pair of EMCO very little used PC machines... a PC-Mill55 and a PC-Turn55.

Things I might have that would be helpful to people coming here...

For both the Lathe and Mill - Machine Description (sizes, parts, installation, exploded views, parts, etc.), WinCAM, WinNC and Electrical BOOKS. MSD files for all of the ??5 (IE - 55, 105, 155) machines. Some TRAINING manuals.

Helpful tidbits of information might be...

1) These machines will NOT operate without the 422/485 interface cards, PERIOD.
    2) The EMCO 422/485 interface cards are proprietary... you CANNOT just use any old 422/485 card (99.99% sure on that).
    3) The 50 and 55 series machines use DIFFERENT interface cards.
    4) The 55's have 3 PHASE Steppers in them (the pic below is from a cap off the X-Axis of the PC-Mill55). I found the specs on those steppers and have it here for now -> ( http://www.ycityhobby.com/kevin/data/vrdm36x-en.pdf )

5) The EMCO "PC" series machines are controlled by "WinNC" Control emulation software.
    6) A PC with WinNC (and control emulation, such as Fanuc-O, ... 21, etc.) running is all that is required to operated the machines (the very nice consoles are NOT required).
    7) The EMCO consoles are an accessory to the PC and WinNC for more accurate emulation of a real control, and CANNOT control the machines without the PC and WinNC.
    8) WinCAM is NOT required to operate the machines. They can/will/do operate with stand-alone G-Code.
    9) Netword cards and the EMCO ISA interface cards have serious incompatibility issues... "HOWEVER". I have worked around that problem by using WIRELESS/USB networking (IE - networked through the USB port(s)).

------------------------------------------------------

Anyone who has, is looking at, or considering getting these machines, keep this in mind... they MUST have a ISA-bus, Win98 PC, the EMCO 422/485 interface card and WinNC. The EMCO 422/485 interface cards are $600/$800 each. Without any of those elements... they make good doorstops, boat-anchors, etc. unless you plan to retrofit them.

-------------------------------------------------------

On one last note, if anyone has the EMCO Consoles (cheap, preferably for the Mill), I'd like to have one, message me please ;-)

Best Regards!

- Kevin

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There must be some differences in PC Mill 55 machines. You show a 3 phase axis motor, whereas on my machine I had 5 phase motors. The first number in the model/part number references the phase, mine are 564/50.

I just recently sold my Dell computer with the cards and software along with the control console for $180 for the works. I sold it locally to someone who plans to resell them. If you would like I could contact him and see if he still has them.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@CNCmakers: YES... the way the EMCO PC series machines work, is EMCO has a very well done emulator running on the PC, visually and functionally. It's well known that the EMCO '55's are designed as classroom training machines. So it natually follows, that they work as closely as possible to the full sized machines.

@RCREDD: 1) Interesting about the 5 phase. 2) You've Got Mail...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I give up...

OK Guys,

I give up. I am not going to try to resucitate this machine as it would take just too much effort to get it done. I am just dying to CNC some stuff so I got me a working CNC machine. As a result, I need to get rid of the PC Mill 50 I've got. I do not have the ISA card, nor the SW. The machine seems to be complete in itself, but apparently will require these two components in order to work.

Machine is in the Dallas/Forth Worth area in TX. Offers?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails emco pc mill 50 & similar-emco_cnc_1_1024x768-jpg   emco pc mill 50 & similar-emco_cnc_2_1024x768-jpg   emco pc mill 50 & similar-emco_cnc_3_1024x768-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

An update on some information about these machines...

There are two versions of the PC-55's. V00 and V01 (version zero and version 1). V0 is mostly similar to the PC-50's, with the primary change being a change from DC steppers to AC steppers, and the spindle motor. The V0 '55's and the '50's use the same RS485 Interface Card in the PC and Controller in the machine. The V01 '55's use a RS422 Interface Card in the PC and different controller in the machine.

CAUTION: The '50, '55 V00 RS485 Interface Cards and corresponding Controllers in the machines are NOT compatible with the '55 V01 RS422 Interface Cards and Controllers.

(NOTE: This information was supplied by EMCO USA, and corresponds with supporting documents and components from the V01 parts in my '55's and the V00 parts I have seen from a V00 '55).

Downloads
    Uploads

Looks like a pretty straight forward conversion. How much are you looking to get for the mill? I am in Houston. Do you have a product you need to make with this machine? A G540, power supply and a little time is all that machine needs. Probably even reuse the original power supply and switches.
    Quote Originally Posted by avayan View Post
    OK Guys,

I give up. I am not going to try to resucitate this machine as it would take just too much effort to get it done. I am just dying to CNC some stuff so I got me a working CNC machine. As a result, I need to get rid of the PC Mill 50 I've got. I do not have the ISA card, nor the SW. The machine seems to be complete in itself, but apparently will require these two components in order to work.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by avayan View Post
    OK Guys,

Update on this machine. It was donated to the Dallas Personal Robotics Club (DPRG). They will try to revive it. I think they will be coming into this place for some answers, so any way you can help the club will be highly appreciated! Thanks for all your comments!

BTW, I think they are seriously considering the retrofit.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast