emco pc mill 50 & similar - Page 29

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1926272829

Thread: emco pc mill 50 & similar

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: emco pc mill 50 & similar

I try set free intterrupt for ISA slot. There was several interrupt possibilities at I/O card and some was more free than others when looked from windows. What may be working interrupts that has work for someone?

Fanuc keyboard and pc keyboard communicate with pc, but emco does not react when ask to go zero return or do anything else. There is manual for newer model and it ask to push 3 buttons in fanuc keyboard ( //, ->in screen logo and -> or<- for rs485/rs232). Nothing activate lathe.

Any help to how activate controll?

Working schematic for cables?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lanb View Post
    Doc Freeman,

First please pardon my delay in getting back with you. Now on to your problem.

I should have had you do another step first.

Starting from scratch, here are the steps to get a PC Mill 50 up and running:
    1) Boot the pc and get into the BIOS setup.
    2) (For early award BIOS systems) If you have a different BIOS try and find similar setting. If there are no setting for these parameters, sorry to say you need a "new" computer. In reality you need an older PC which is what I needed to acquire before I could get this card to install properly
    a) Go to the "PNP and PCI setup" page
    b) Change ISA mem block base to CC00
    c) change ISA mem block size to 8k
    d) Save the changes and exit.
    3) Remove any modem or ethernet cards from the system and disable any built in one from within the BIOS setup.

If you have Win98 installed, remove and reinstall the WinCAM or WinNC software. At this point the PC does not need to be connected to the Mill. If the mill is connected and you are no longer getting any errors, great. If the Mill is not connected and you now get a new error indicating the mill is not connected also great. You are ready to try the software. If however, you are still getting the 2520 RS485 not present error go to step 4 below

4) Perform a clean install of Win98
    5) Reinstall the WinCAM or WinNC software.

Start the software and check for errors.

If you are still getting the 2520 error please let me know and I will get further instructions to you. I have to go back and duplicate the other error possibilities and provide solutions.

The RS485 card and Emco software are very fussy in that they want to run on older PCs. I had to buy an old PC for $45 to run my system on, everything I had sitting around was too new and did not allow me to make the BIOS changes and without them I could not get this running.

Keep teh faith, if you have WinCAM this is a very sweet and simple CAD/CAM package that can be learned very quickly and get you up and cutting quickly. Once you have everything running on the mill, you can try to reinstall a network card and it should no longer interfere. That is what the BIOS setting prevent.

Good luck and let me know how it is going.

BR,
    Lan Brooks

ps. I worked with two other owners, Emco support and some colleagues that used to program drivers for Win98 before I could get my system working. I think I help you through any problems if needed.

This is Daniel, see my post after using your PCI setup below:

I still got error code 2520 after I change the memory address to CC00, so I try to leave the memory address as auto ( this should not be an issue. It does not working neither. the error code was still the same as before.

Instead, I fixed the problem by going to RS485 device list page in WinConfig. Under the RS485 Devices List, click on AC and change the address that different from the one it was shown. My RS-485 address was originally set to "1". After changing it to "0" in my case. You need need to try different address. Now, I fixed the problem and machine is running well.

I will try to use USB to RS495 dongle to see if it will work. Any way I need to use USB to RS495 to send G code to the machine later. Also, I will try use legacy/generic RS485 and will post results once I get there. Stay tuned.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello i am new here!
    I just got a emco pc turn 50 and i want tu use a usbrs485 adapter,
    I want to write a litle c# programm, to transfer the data i think the original programm would not work,
    does anybody know somthing about the protocol,
    my programm would be open source!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Today i connected a rs485 Adapter and tryed to get some answers,....
    Somehow emco make that not verry easy.....
    Does anybody have a real RS485 Card and can try to log some data for me?
    Maybe we can find out the data rate , some start chars and commands?
    realterm would be a nice tool for that!!!! :-)

Thanks Peter

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone ever seen error 2502 ORD Synchronisation-error AC? My machine happens to be Turn 325-II, but it uses the RS485 and AC95. Symptoms are the machine data (position, rpm, program line) lags machine movements. Then the machine begins to pause between moves and eventually errors.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question emco pc mill 50 & similar / CUSTOM CONTROLLER MACH3 Compatible

I have made a board that is similar to RichJones board several posts back. Optical Isolation, blah, blah blah.... basically it pairs a cheap controller with RichJones ideas and ends up with a way to plug into a stock machine and run Mach3, Mach4, LinuxCNC, or others without changing your machine.

Just Plug and Play.

The question that i have is is there any demand for this for other users?
    If enough people were interested I could order some boards and either make some up or sell as a kit.

I spent over a month working it all out (just 'cause I'm not that bright)... But it seems to work great.

Let me know if there is any interest.

cheers-

Downloads
    Uploads

jjkjkjkjhghjgkjgkjgkjgkjgjkhgjkghkjgjkfxj

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would be interested, if... It will plug and play on a PC Mill 30 (instead of 50).
    Board-only, or basic kit would be great, as long as there's good documentation, etc.
    Have a price in mind?
    (I'll confess I haven't gone back and re-read all 29 pages of this thread, but I'll get up-to-speed shortly...)
    Pvt. message or here is fine.

Ok, just took a bit of time to go thru the thread from the beginning. Looks like my PC Mill 30 has a different architecture than a 50. So, 485 control of internal electronics instead of external magic cards.

The PC that came with it literally had mouse nests throughout. Stuffed. Disgusting. Apparently failed due to non-cooling and mouse piss, so not sure what is recoverable. I have good older PCs, and quite a few legal W98 licenses & media, but if there's a plan that will get me past all that, and into this century, I'm all for it. Txcowdog was going down the path of gut and replace rather than run thru the RS485 port, but don't know his path or progress.

Chip

Last edited by Chip Chester; 03-16-2017 at 12:16 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: emco pc mill 50 & similar / CUSTOM CONTROLLER MACH3 Compatible

I would advise you to ask on the Yahoo Groups for all the emco machines. I know of three groups I'm a member of.

I'm personally not interested, mainly because I want the added features of the retrofit, but there are many who do not want to get that deep into the change.

I hope it becomes something.

James L

Quote Originally Posted by davidwest View Post
    I have made a board that is similar to RichJones board several posts back. Optical Isolation, blah, blah blah.... basically it pairs a cheap controller with RichJones ideas and ends up with a way to plug into a stock machine and run Mach3, Mach4, LinuxCNC, or others without changing your machine.

Just Plug and Play.

The question that i have is is there any demand for this for other users?
    If enough people were interested I could order some boards and either make some up or sell as a kit.

I spent over a month working it all out (just 'cause I'm not that bright)... But it seems to work great.

Let me know if there is any interest.

cheers-

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Remarkably enough, I also just made a board inspired/informed by Rich Jones' idea, using optoisolators, etc. My design is specifically for a PCMill55, though, not a 50, so maybe it's not completely the same idea. I tried to make everything as plug & play as possible, changing the wires around as little as possible, so that the documentation and wiring diagrams for the machine are kept as close as possible for future reference. My board is specifically made for connecting to an Ethernet Smoothstepper and a CNC4PC C41 spindle control board (which converts the PWM signal and a direction signal to an analog 0-10VDC signal, a +20V enable signal, and a +20V direction signal, which is what the Lenze VFD in the PCMill55 expects). I used the original connectors as much as possible (which are Weidmuller 5.08mm pitch pluggable terminal blocks, btw), with the exception of the spindle control wires, which I wired up into an RJ45 connector to plug into the C41 board. The Lenze VFD also needed a slight wiring change to make it supply the 20V itself, rather than getting it from another source, which is what Emco did (if anyone else is trying this, the change which wasn't evident from the documentation is that if you use the internal voltage source, you need a jumper between pins 7 and 39 on the VFD). I wired in all of the inputs that the original had, even though some will probably never be used, for instance the 1/rev encoders on X, Y, and Z. I also added a MOSFET switching 24V to drive a solenoid valve to control coolant flow, which I might add in the future (I haven't tested that part yet). The signals going to the Ethernet smoothstepper dedicated inputs are connected via an optoisolator, which sinks to ground when the switch is turned on. The 1 signal that I have going to input/output pin on the ESS switches 5V on instead. The main mistake that I made on my board design was not taking into account the size/orientation of the connector, which caused an interference issue between X111/X103 and 5VPower/X100. I had to reverse the 5VPower connector and the X111 connector, and flip the wires accordingly.

For anyone interested in trying it for yourself, I put the design up on GitHub: https://github.com/rb0087/emcoConnect55/tree/master . Pay attention to the FIXME file, it has the changes that should be made before using it. I designed it all in Eagle, which is available to use for free for hobby purposes. I had my board printed at Advanced Circuits (4pcb.com), and I was very impressed with their pricing and quality ($33+shipping for a 2 layer board, 5 day lead time. only complaint: 2 day shipping was $36) . The other component that I needed was a 5V DC/DC converter, which took in the +24V and output 5VDC. I used one which mounted on the DIN rail at the bottom, got the +24V from the terminal blocks next to it, and it works nicely. I put in an ethernet jack on the side so that it looks like it was made that way from the factory. Here are pictures of the board / installation, along with a few short videos of it jogging, the spindle turning, and it cutting a hole in some plastic. https://goo.gl/photos/thdMzhiHWhm6BxYF8

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes please, how much are you thinking? Any chance the board will also work with the Pc Turn 50?

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1926272829