emco pc mill 50 & similar - Page 11

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: emco pc mill 50 & similar

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here are the same three photos as on post 141. They're not the best, but you can see the new Y-axis stepper mounted in place, and the way I've mounted VFD, stepper drivers and BOB in the existing rack, reusing the screw connectors and plugs from the existing boards.

As noted before, If I did it again I'd probably use the G540 approach, rather than the separate BOB - although the PMDX board I use does connect to two parallel ports, so I have more inputs available. I'm using these for an MPG, a rotary switch to control the axis being jogged, and a high-low jog speed switch

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails emco pc mill 50 & similar-mill01-jpg   emco pc mill 50 & similar-mill02-jpg   emco pc mill 50 & similar-mill03-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks UUU,
    Got them now.
    Odd IE9 shows the photos, Chrome fails??
    Only one question at this point, what is an MPG?
    THanks Simon M.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

MPG is Manual Pulse Generator. It's a jog-wheel. See picture attached. It sends pulses back to Mach3 to give you manual control of axis movements. This is much nicer than using the arrow keys on the keyboard.

You can get these as USB-connected devices with all sorts of extra features, there's a thread on a Russian one active at the moment.

Mine's connected through the parallel port inputs with, as noted before, a 4-way switch to control the axis being jogged, and a high-low speed control. The MPG takes two inputs, the 4-way switch another two, and the high-low is one. So the extra inputs on the second parallel port I'm running come in handy. I've fitted the same set-up to a friend's mill but, because he's not got enough inputs, he has to do without the high-low switch.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails emco pc mill 50 & similar-imag0031-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks UUU, that makes sense.
    So the MPG, is connected to the BOB, and it tells Mach3 to move the selected axis at the selected speed.
    If that is the case I need to make sure that my choice of BOB has this facility.

Yours Simon M.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The BOB is only acting as the connection between any switches or other devices you have and the computer. It mostly doesn't really care what any of these do. You program Mach3 to recognise the signals from whatever you've connected up. So almost any make (including Gecko G540) is going to give you similar options.

One of the things you'll connect up is the emergency stop. so when you hit the button, Mach3 knows it. It won't matter which of the available input you connect that one to, as long as you configure Mach3 to match it.

Another one you'll likely want to connect is the limit switches at the end of each axis. You can connect all three of these in series to one input. Again you configure Mach3 to know which pin you've used. You could connect each switch to a separate input - but it's a bit of a waste to use up three for this purpose.

Then you've got to decide what other facilities you'd like to connect to the remaining inputs. Perhaps you'd like a probe or sensor, to take measurements. Perhaps you'd like an MPG like me - it's really up to you what you need.

I like to be able to jog using the wheel. So I've made my choice. But as noted before, there are USB jogging systems available - so that's another way to get the same facility. There's also a thing called ModBus, that I've not investigated, but I believe it gives you loads of connections, so you could have switches all over the place. Or, like me, you can increase the number of connections by using more than one parallel port. You can have a separate BOB on each port, or have one that can handle two ports.

So many choices!

Last edited by UUU; 02-25-2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Reference to G540 including input options

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some news from me:

I now wired up the original Steppers and Stepper board of my PC Mill 50 with a new CSMIO IP/M control and it works great! The Ethernet connection to the pc is working very well! I connected the pins DIR and CLK to the stepper board but i didn´t use the SR X Y Z inputs to the Stepper board because i dont know what they are for. Also i used a brand new Siemens Micromaster 440 VFD to control the Spindle. Paid around 400 € in total for the retrofit. Will post some pictures as soon as i have " cleaned up " the electric cabinet a bit

I don´t know yet how it will work because i haven´t done any milling tests yet but it´s working great "dry" .
    I don´t use the axis index´s yet... would this be supported by mach 3?

If anyone needs Spare parts such as EMCO VFD, SPS or the Control please contact me

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have read about the CSMIO IP/M controller but they are not common here in the US. I have been thinking about looking into becomming a US distributor for their products. After you do more testing I would be interested in hearing what you think of the control.
    It sounds like a great alternative to the more common retrofits.

I just finished another PC55 Mill and a PC55 Turn, both again had G540's for controller, new steppers all the way around, including the tool turret on the lathe where I fit a nema 17.

The lathe had a Lenze VFD as standard equipment, that I kept along with the stock PS. On the Mill, I used a TECO VFD (200 Hz) and am getting 3400rpm spindle speeds. Also used a SOLA 48V 12amp PS.

The lathe has 100ipm feeds and 4000+ spindle speeds.
    The mill has 40ipm feeds.

Both have built in computers and 15" touch screen monitors on swing arms.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Briana58 View Post
    Thanks UUU, that makes sense.
    So the MPG, is connected to the BOB, and it tells Mach3 to move the selected axis at the selected speed.
    If that is the case I need to make sure that my choice of BOB has this facility.
    Who IS this douchebag??? He's been littering up threads for the last month, under a dozen different usernames. EVERY post is an exact copy of someone else's post, with an attempt to append several images to the end. Why can't the Zone weed these a-holes out before they're able to post?

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi HimyKabibble,
    I posted the original, but this is the first I've heard of this problem!
    Yours Simon M.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi yvesdupre,
    How did you get on with CSMIO IP/M? Was it a simple job or a lot of trial and error? This is the solution I'm thinking of but haven't had the courage to 'jump in' and try one.

Yours Simon M.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by yvesdupre View Post
    Some news from me:

I now wired up the original Steppers and Stepper board of my PC Mill 50 with a new CSMIO IP/M control and it works great! The Ethernet connection to the pc is working very well!
    This looks like a neat resolution to the LPT issue - an alternative the the smoothstepper way. I particularly like the analogue output, making VFD control straightforward. I've been toying with retrofitting my lathe, this might be an option. I look forward to hearing news of your continued trials.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by samarkh View Post
    Hi yvesdupre,
    How did you get on with CSMIO IP/M? Was it a simple job or a lot of trial and error? This is the solution I'm thinking of but haven't had the courage to 'jump in' and try one.

Yours Simon M.
    It was actually working on the first try. Had to try a bit around to find the right resolution (steps per mm , it is 800) and the directions and the right speed and accelerations but it was fairly easy. The EMCO Stepper Board has Jumpers to adjust the directions and you can even set on half step. Does anyone know if this is an advantage?

Also does anyone know if mach 3 supports the axis indexers of the EMCO?

Will make some first milling tests next week and keep you guys updated

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Not to divert the main topic,,,,but

For those of you with the Emco mills who either don't have any T-Nuts or T-bolt or if you just want more, here is what I have found and use.
    They are square headed 3/8-16 bolts, with heads that measure .555 square (9/16", 14mm) by .255 tall (1/4", 6.5mm). I do believe there is a metric equivilent also made. I buy these at the local hardware store for less than $1.00 US per bolt, depending on length, which runs from 3/4" to 6".
    The bolts I am buying are of a good grade and have served me well.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails emco pc mill 50 & similar-studs-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi yvesdupre

Had to try a bit around to find the right resolution (steps per mm , it is 800)
    Glad you worked that out, because I came to the same conclusion, 2.5mm pitch on the screws, and with a 2:1 ratio motor to screw means that with the 5 phase steppers there is 0.0025mm per full step, 0.00125mm per half step, not the 0.001mm stated in the manuals. Or to put it more simply 800 pulses per mm.

Yours Simon M.

and thanks RCREDD for your bolt conversion.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCREDD View Post
    For those of you with the Emco mills who either don't have any T-Nuts or T-bolt or if you just want more, here is what I have found and use.
    They are square headed 3/8-16 bolts, with heads that measure .555 square (9/16", 14mm) by .255 tall (1/4", 6.5mm). I do believe there is a metric equivilent also made. I buy these at the local hardware store for less than $1.00 US per bolt, depending on length, which runs from 3/4" to 6".
    The bolts I am buying are of a good grade and have served me well.
    On an allied subject: I use clamps that are held down in the centre by a bolt. But the slots in the table are right near the edge, so with the toe of the clamp on the workpiece, the tail is sticking off the edge of the table and it's not easy to arrange a secure support. Has anyone got a neat solution to this? I've seen a Taig mill fitted with an aluminium over-table, peppered with threaded holes. I might try and make one of these.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I always meant to make one of those table plates. I have one drawn up, but just never got around to making it.
    If you want the drawing I could post it somewhere.
    Its pretty simple and basic, but saves you the time of drawing it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If it's no trouble to post it, I'd be interested to have a look.

But I'll probably hand-code it. I seem to hand-code most things rather than drawing and CAMming.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So again a short update from me.

as i wrote before i connected the original 5 phase emco stepper board to a csmio ip/m. it worked really well and accurate as long as i didnt mill anything. but the problem is this: in several milling tests i have found out that this leads to a very big coordinate mismatch after a while of milling because many steps are lost under load. i think emco has put the syncs on the axes for good reason but unfortunaly it is not possible to connect them to the csmio ip/m.

so i decided to go for new 2 phase steppers and microstep drivers.
    Steppers will be the Sanyo Denki 1,65 Nm
    Drivers: Leadshine DM 422

any thoughts about my choice?

Another Question, does anyone know how to get the pulley off the spindles? I would like to go for new pulleys and belts...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

1,65 Nm are bare minimum in my opinion. I would go for closer to 2Nm.
    As for the drivers, they should work, but again in my opinion a Gecko g540 is the best solution.

As for your 5 phase test, it is too bad it did not work out. I personally don't think the one pulse per rev stock sensor on the emco would have helped. missing steps is missing steps in an open system.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

My pulleys were held on with roll pins that were easy to tap out with a narrow punch.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast