Mach3 RPM sensor?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mach3 RPM sensor?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach3 RPM sensor?

I have a modified G0704. I am looking for a sensor that I can read the RPM of the spindle to send back to mach3. I am using the C3 board for this. I have the stock G0704 disk but want to ditch that and imbed a magnet into the spindle pulley and find a sensor that will open or close when the magnet passes it. I had the stock one working but when above 1000RPM mach3 RPM goes to zero(0). I have read that the stock disk has to many holes in it and above 1000RPM the sensor cant figure it out. I figure if I just imbed a magnet into the pulley then problem solved with the right sensor to keep up with 6500RPM. lots easier to imbed a magnet into the pulley then make a new disk.

Any ideas?

Jeff

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mach3 RPM sensor?

Jeff,

Scott at Benchtop Precision sells a modified G0704 index ring for fifteen dollars, see attached link>

BenchtopPrecision.com

Jeff...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach3 RPM sensor?-index-ring-jpg  
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jeff, the mill is looking good and works awesome. I have 12 tool ATC I built for it. I have looked at the disk from scott, although I should get a hold of him and see if the design is just like the original one as it would need to fit my pulley. If I could figure out what sensor I would to use, imbedding a magnet into the pulley would work great. I put a magnet into the carousel plate on my tool changer which trips a reed switch for my ATC home switch, it works great. That setup though will not work on my spindle as it cannot keep up with the high RPM.

Thanks,

Jeff

Downloads
    Uploads

James Newton at Massmind has a AS5047P high resolution magnetic encoder for $14.95

However a parallel port will not support the high encoder count data from the AS5047P, either a PoKeys or something similar will be required and possibly a macro written in order to translate the high encoder count for Mach3 to decipher.

See attached link:

MassMind Magnetic High Speed Non-Contact Encoder

Good to hear you are making progress, have a most awesome afternoon.

Jeff...

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Why not simply use a digital counter to divide the signal. It is trivial to divide such signals by any power of 2, using a $.50 digital counter chip.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok got it figured out. Here is the sensor I came up with. This will be a lot easier than making a new disk. All I have to do is drill a hole into my pulley then a light press fit with a little epoxy to hold the magnet in. I will be able to spin the spindle to 7K RPM and it read correctly. Here is the sensor. I did purchase the bracket and the 8mm pigtail. It will be powered by my 24VDC power supply and I will use a resistor to knock down to 5 VDC back to the C3 board. Easy setup and should be very reliable. I will update when working.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...tion/MAE-AP-1A

Downloads
    Uploads

Ray,

I completely agree with your solution, why not post a link to what you are suggesting so a novice does not have to guess or use psychic powers.

Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Why not simply use a digital counter to divide the signal. It is trivial to divide such signals by any power of 2, using a $.50 digital counter chip.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Jeff,

Many ways to skin a cat however for some users cost may be a factor.

Jeff...

Quote Originally Posted by ballistic42 View Post
    Ok got it figured out. Here is the sensor I came up with. This will be a lot easier than making a new disk. All I have to do is drill a hole into my pulley then a light press fit with a little epoxy to hold the magnet in. I will be able to spin the spindle to 7K RPM and it read correctly. Here is the sensor. I did purchase the bracket and the 8mm pigtail. It will be powered by my 24VDC power supply and I will use a resistor to knock down to 5 VDC back to the C3 board. Easy setup and should be very reliable. I will update when working.

Downloads
    Uploads

You can buy, effectively, the exact same sensor for about $4 on EBay. And it does no require a magnet. It senses any ferrous metal so if you pulley is cast iron, as most are, All you need is enough of a "notch" that it see no ferrous metal for long enough to create the pulse width you want. If you're using Mach, that pulse width needs to be considerable for it to be reliably "seen". If you just use the sensor you already have, and use a counter to reduce the frequency, no matter what divisor you use, you'' always get 50% duty cycle.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

HIYA Jeff teh specs on your sensor only go up to 5000 rpm not 6500 ???

(;-) TP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

photo reflective sensor, no magnets required. Just paint a white mark on your pulley and the gap can be 6mm

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%2...Fs/RPR-220.pdf

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mach3 RPM sensor?-rpr-220-jpg   Mach3 RPM sensor?-lathe-sensor-jpg  
    Last edited by sparkness; 01-12-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Re: Mach3 RPM sensor?

Jeff,

Awesome news,
    The Massmind AS5047P high resolution magnetic encoder will in fact actually output one (1) pulse per r.p.m. using the index output which is easily accessible from two pins on the pcb.

This is a very simple solution especially when you consider the cost.

MassMind Magnetic High Speed Non-Contact Encoder

Jeff...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have 12 tool ATC I built for it.

For the g0704?
    Got a link to the info on this?

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have a link for the 12 tool ATC, just pics. I will have it all working soon as I took it apart to make a few changes to make it better.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by sparkness View Post
    photo reflective sensor, no magnets required. Just paint a white mark on your pulley and the gap can be 6mm

https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%2...Fs/RPR-220.pdf
    This is what I was thinking. Adding magnets or cutting notches will affect balance - could be an issue at high rpm's?

Downloads
    Uploads

The AS5047P high resolution ultra high r.p.m. magnetic encoder I suggested is a very precise encoder, far more precise than a primitive photo reflective sensor.

It is a very well engineered product, rated for very high r.p.m. use. Before making wild accusations read the technical papers pertaining to proper installation.

No cutting slots, hacking or notching the pulley or offset weights are part of the correct installation procedure!

I am continually disappointed reading poorly informed and incorrect information defending or suggesting sub standard solutions.

Proper installation is required in order to maintain balance. The magnetic is centered exactly dead center on the motor shaft not offset somewhere in the outer diameter of the assembly.

The magnet never sweeps past the sensor! The sensor is mounted directly above the magnet and detects the magnetic shift between the polls as the magnet is rotated.

Jeff...

Last edited by jalessi; 01-21-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The mill this sensor is for, spins 2000 rpm not 20000 rpm, I do like the massmind module, great encoder compared to optical rotary when you dont have any shaft available.

Last edited by sparkness; 01-21-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Please get your facts straight before contributing to a senseless pissing match. The original post clearly stated that the r..p.m of his spindle is 6500 r.pm. not 2000 r.p.m. and that he was having tracking or accuracy issues reading or displaying the correct r.pm. above 1000 RPM

The mill this sensor is for, spins 2000 rpm not 20000 rpm, I do like the massmind module, great encoder compared to optical rotary when you dont have any shaft available.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

did not see the 6500. photo reflective sensors will have no problem at that speed . the mill is a G0704. and it may be challenging connecting a sensor board to the top of this particular spindle

Last edited by sparkness; 01-21-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

did not see the 6500. photo reflective sensors will have no problem at that speed . the mill is a G0704. and it may be challenging connecting a sensor board to the top of this particular spindle
    I agree, it may be extremely difficult to attach a sensor to the spindle however it would be very simple to attach a sensor to the spindle motor and determine the speed differential if the pulleys or spindle drive system are something other than a 1-1 ratio.

I submit to the ease of applying reflective paint or tape however there are still caveats or limitations pertaining to your solution.

Let's build bridges not walls.

Jeff...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast