Dyna Myte 2400 -- Can Newbie Safely Buy for $400? Help?

Thread: Dyna Myte 2400 -- Can Newbie Safely Buy for $400? Help?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Dyna Myte 2400 -- Can Newbie Safely Buy for $400? Help?

Hi, gang,

Looking for advice. Will try to be brief!

Been wanting to learn hobby CNC to make PCBs and small parts for ham radio builds, etc -- not engine blocks or steam tractor parts (yet?)! I am a computer service tech (35 years), so I can handle COM and LPT ports, software in Windoze and Linux, etc, and a ham radio guy (with a reasonable electronics background). I understand milling and CNC operations from "a distance," but I have never used a milling machine other than my crappy, imported drill press (with its massive slop factor).

I just missed a Taig CNC mill, and a guy who was going to sell me a Chinese "tabletop plus" sized unit (from Tormach's R&D Dept) flaked out.

I could buy a mini mill and convert it to CNC, but I don't yet know any local CNC guys who I might coerce to help me if I get stuck. The electronics I get, but the mechanics are a complete mystery. To me, a jib (gib?) is a sail!

Anyway, as I'm sure you've all heard this story a thousand times, with minute variations, I'm thinking about buying a Dyna Myte 2400 from a seller about three hours away. The price will be between $300 and $400 (still negotiating). The seller is a veteran CNC mill op and bought the little mill from a school that was closing. He cleaned it up a bit and says that the unit spins up and the control panel can be used to "home" the spindle. He says the unit could stand additional cleaning and adjustment, but that it seems to be intact and serviceable.

Because of the distance (7 hour round trip), I probably won't drive there to just look at it. If I go I'll likely buy it and figure out what to do with it later (use it or re-sell it as is, etc).

I understand that some software can output milling instructions in the Dyna Myte's original control language. I don't know if existing software might translate between G-code and whatever the DM uses). I also understand that the existing steppers might also be usable with an updated controller, but that some guys convert the whole shebang to modern motion controls.

The working space of this little CNC is just a bit bigger than a postcard, so it's weird to see that it weights about 350 pounds! That working space is smaller than that of a Taig mill or converted mini mill, but if the process of getting it up and running DOESN'T require tons of extra cash outlay. the little mill is probably a whole lot sturdier than a mini mill. (I'm valuing my time at a very low amount, as this is "education!")

That said, do you have any advice about whether it's a reasonable thing to purchase at that price, for those needs, with my background skill sets?

Could I reasonably expect to sell it for $400 if I can't wrangle it?

As always,

Thanks,

--Kirk in Rochester, MN

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dyna Myte 2400 -- Can Newbie Safely Buy for $400? Help?

Hi there, if you are looking to just make pcb boards , machine ally or engraving etc, i would have a look at a desk top router
    The CNC Blog

Last edited by Kev Brook; 12-10-2017 at 04:15 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The DM2400 is an excellent machine. Though its travels are small, it is extremely rigid, accurate and is a real cnc machine.
    It will be much better than the Taig.
    If it were me, I would install a Centroid Acorn though it would add another 3-400 in total.
    There is a thread or two where people finally solved the pinouts and recovered most functions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    The DM2400 is an excellent machine. Though its travels are small, it is extremely rigid, accurate and is a real cnc machine.
    It will be much better than the Taig.
    If it were me, I would install a Centroid Acorn though it would add another 3-400 in total.
    There is a thread or two where people finally solved the pinouts and recovered most functions.
    Wow. The Acorn looks quite nice. And it can probably "talk" to those old steppers (and the new). The cost isn't out of the question as long as the DM2400 itself is intact.

I expect to work in aluminum, brass, plastic and wood, but probably not steel, at least not right away. I need to self-educate on basic skills first.

I see that there are some very inexpensive desktop router kits available online for about the same price (or even less). In a sense, they would probably serve their purpose for someone to learn the basics. The controls, movements, software, etc, is essentially similar, regardless of machine size. But, as mentioned, the DM2400 is a lot more rugged.

Lotta choices for the as-yet uninitiated!

Wish there was a CNC Users Group in these parts.

Regards,

--sohosources

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a DM2400, it is not a toy. It is a solid machine with great features and detail. The ways and gibs were fitted and scraped, it has automated oiling and a 10000 rpm spindle. It will not machine fast and it has limited travels. It will machine anything you want just not fast or big but accurately. If you can afford the Acorn, I wholeheartedly recommend it.
    If this is your first venture into CNC, this would be a great starting point. It will be more rigid than a router ever would which will be beneficial if cutting metals. AND, if you can pick it up for 400-500 you could resell it for quite a bit more if it is intact or mostly so. If you could get the dongle, software and pc, you would be the first ;-)

Downloads
    Uploads

At that price I would be all over it. You can improved the performance with modern steppers and electronics and still be under $1000

Downloads
    Uploads

Fastest1 - would the Acorn be able to handle the Automatic Tool Changer? I like what I see on the lathe video... might do that to my extra DM3000

[url]www.CNC-Joe.com[/url]
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNC-Joe View Post
    Fastest1 - would the Acorn be able to handle the Automatic Tool Changer? I like what I see on the lathe video... might do that to my extra DM3000
    Sure. The Acorn is capable of 3 axis.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by AR1911 View Post
    At that price I would be all over it. You can improved the performance with modern steppers and electronics and still be under $1000
    No need for new steppers. You might get a small increase but most likely not worth the money. The best improvement is ditching the gear reduction.

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, I just snagged one of these with new stepper motors for $150. Originally I had planned on stealing the motors for my cnc router as an upgrade, but the more I learn about this thing, the more I'm considering doing an ardruino conversion. Has anyone done one of these with the addition of manual operation?