Build Thread PM45 mill upgrades - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PM45 mill upgrades

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PM45 mill upgrades

I'm still tossing up milling off the dovetails vs adding material like this guy -

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by edmunns View Post
    Nice work! I am planning something similar, was wondering what rails you're using on x and y, are they 15s or 20s and what series? I have almost finished drawing mine up in fusion using THK SHS 15s but retaining the original cast saddle for block mounting, 15mm rails only just fit.
    Also, whats your plan for z as far as rails go? I can imagine milling off dovetails is a bit daunting haha.
    Thanks guys. I'm using NSK LH20s for all 3 axis. AN series for Y and Z, and the EL for the X.

Z axis will be pretty much the same as the Y axis. I'm planning on making a new adapter plate. If i've done my homework right I shouldn't need to machine any of the dovetails The 20 rails are just about the right size. They are tall enough to clear the dovetails, but not so wide that you have to clearance too much of the dovetails. I only had to take about a 1/16" off the base to make it clear and had I not used the flange mount for the table, i don't think i would have had to cut the dovetails at all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gd.marsh View Post
    Excellent CS900! .. You have gotten my attention also ..

I'm in the process of tearing down right now to do an upgrade to my ZX45 ..
    Been wanting to go with linear rails on all axis also, but have been sort of 'riding the fence' on X & Y .. mainly because I've been able to maintain a reasonable amount of backlash on X & Y movements, and the amount of work needed to convert is significant.
    Z is another story for me, it has been like trying to nail jello to the wall. From what others have reported, the Z conversion alone makes the machine so much better & more accurate I've determined to at least go that route.
    I will be following your progress closely & would also appreciate info on which rails you're using. (Great idea on the drill bushing!)
    Please keep your thread updated with lots of pics & info!

Gary
    Yeah, I had the same issue. X and Y i could hold +/-.001 all day long, and I've fought the Z axis for a while to hold .005-ish. I'll keep you guys updated for sure! And speaking of...progress for today.

Got the rails mounted to the table. I used the back of the table as my master reference. I frequently just use a square off the table to orient stock quickly, so it only made sense.

Once the master rail was done, I installed the saddle plate to the blocks to locate the slave rail

I also clearanced the saddle plate for the X axis ballscrew assembly.

like a glove!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by j3dprints View Post
    I'm still tossing up milling off the dovetails vs adding material like this guy -
    That's an interesting approach. Had i not already bought everything I may reconsider my plan of attack.

Downloads
    Uploads

You're getting this done FAST! haha. Very interested to see how you tackle the z axis, keep us posted CS900.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, if you don't have enough room to get the last bolt in your flanged blocks you may be able to use the next size down and tap from the other side, works for THK blocks anyway. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious haha.
    PM45 mill upgrades-nn_shs-c-png

- - - Updated - - -

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PM45 mill upgrades-nn_shs-c-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by edmunns View Post
    Also, if you don't have enough room to get the last bolt in your flanged blocks you may be able to use the next size down and tap from the other side, works for THK blocks anyway. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious haha.
    PM45 mill upgrades-nn_shs-c-png

- - - Updated - - -
    Not at all. I'll have to double check, but I think the slopes sides of the flange would make it so the bolt head only makes point contact. I'd have to spot face the flange. I'll look and report back because only having 3 bolts has been eating at the back of my brain this whole time.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work . You are a little ahead of me on progress .I have not posted on my machine lately. But not far off. Your project is looking very good. Nicely thought out.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you decide to fiddle with those bearing cars remember that they're harder than a Woodpeckers lips...it'll be solid carbide tooling/drills/counterbores or you'll have a bad hair day!

And let me tell ya, a Woodpecker has real tough lips.

Stuart

"THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead406 View Post
    Nice work . You are a little ahead of me on progress .I have not posted on my machine lately. But not far off. Your project is looking very good. Nicely thought out.
    thanks. The small amount of work done so far is a result of months of planning and buying parts ahead of time. I'm a bit less prepared for the Z axis, so it'll slow things down a little, but we'll get there. Do you have a build thread for your mill?

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    If you decide to fiddle with those bearing cars remember that they're harder than a Woodpeckers lips...it'll be solid carbide tooling/drills/counterbores or you'll have a bad hair day!

And let me tell ya, a Woodpecker has real tough lips.

Stuart
    Yeah, I figured as much. I've machined a few ballscrew nuts before and it wasn't a fun experience. I assume this will be no different.

In other news, I spent most of yesterday cleaning and repacking my y axis ballscrew. It had some contamination in it and was starting to make a crunching noise. didn't look like there was any damage to anything, and she's smooth as butter now.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    thanks. The small amount of work done so far is a result of months of planning and buying parts ahead of time. I'm a bit less prepared for the Z axis, so it'll slow things down a little, but we'll get there. Do you have a build thread for your mill?

Yeah, I figured as much. I've machined a few ballscrew nuts before and it wasn't a fun experience. I assume this will be no different.

In other news, I spent most of yesterday cleaning and repacking my y axis ballscrew. It had some contamination in it and was starting to make a crunching noise. didn't look like there was any damage to anything, and she's smooth as butter now.
    I do have a build thread and you commented on it. Labeled 12z mill cnc conversion with linear rails.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead406 View Post
    I do have a build thread and you commented on it. Labeled 12z mill cnc conversion with linear rails.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    yes yes! had to go back and look it over again. I'd love to see progress on your mill too!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast