Accuracy I can expect from a RF-45 or similar cnc conversion? Bang for $$ point? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accuracy I can expect from a RF-45 or similar cnc conversion? Bang for $$ point?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Accuracy I can expect from a RF-45 or similar cnc conversion? Bang for $$ point?

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    You can get genuine HIWIN for pretty good prices (I use "BST automation" on aliexpress).
    Wow thanks! That's so cheap. Do you know of any recommended ballscrew suppliers?

The nice thing about Alliexpress is us Aussies can access the same stuff as US folk.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Accuracy I can expect from a RF-45 or similar cnc conversion? Bang for $$ point?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I really don't, but I can create a thread and go into some depth. Mechanically it's pretty simple, mount the sensor and slap on the magnetic tape. To the controller it looks just like any encoder.

Here is a picture of the one on my mill X axis. Mounted on the front of the table, been there 3 years with no problems. This particular sensor is a Renishaw, but I have had excellent luck with the Ditron units also. The Ditron units are identical in size and performance to the Renishaw units, and considerably less expensive, about $120 / axis.
    thanks jim, I'm actually very familiar with the renishaw once as i use them at work. I was unaware they had the same signal output as many of the common encoders though. That certainly does make things a bit easier. I assume these have a response time much better than the cheapo magnetic scales?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    thanks jim, I'm actually very familiar with the renishaw once as i use them at work. I was unaware they had the same signal output as many of the common encoders though. That certainly does make things a bit easier. I assume these have a response time much better than the cheapo magnetic scales?
    Not sure about the response time vs other mag systems. They are rated at something like 4 m/s with 1 micron resolution, 4 MHz. That's fast !

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by j3dprints View Post
    Wow thanks! That's so cheap. Do you know of any recommended ballscrew suppliers?

The nice thing about Alliexpress is us Aussies can access the same stuff as US folk.
    I'm very happy with my 1616 (16mm diameter 16mm lead) ball screws from BST. They seem to be higher quality than my other chinese ballscrews. They are on a router though.

BST sell the standard cheap Chinese 1605 1610 2010 etc screws. I expect they can get HIWIN screws if you want.

Most good sellers will custom order things, don't go with the stock listing. If they won't custom order, they are probably the wrong seller for this stuff. E.g. I order custom length HIWIN rails with higher precision, and higher preload. Cost a bit more (for the high precision really).

Downloads
    Uploads

I think I have arrived at 4 alternatives I need to choose between, I am liking the bang for buck for option 1 / 2. Any advice is appreciated. Servos look good but are pricey for me.

1) Leadshine open loop 3 phase steppers $255 AUD used with a motion controller and encoders on the axis
    https://tinyurl.com/y9zhucyg

2) Leadshine closed loop steppers - $270 AUD
    https://tinyurl.com/ybwxl3w4 . Can these be used in conjunction with an encoder on the load for positional feedback though? Sorry I do not know from looking at the diagram.
    Also most other stores are $50 more, makes me pause.
    Or this 'easy servo' - https://tinyurl.com/yc6pmfsr - $280

3) Chinese servos - $422
    albeit from a reputable Aliexpress operator BST Automation: https://tinyurl.com/yck8br4l
    The more powerful servos don't go up by much more in price, and thus I would think you could overspec and re-use in another machine if upgrading.

4) DMM 400w servo - $441

Also 3/4 servos need belt drive setups which adds to the cost I guess.
    Sorry I made another thread related to this but after a fair bit more research and stumbling across some people with success stories these seem like good options.

Last edited by j3dprints; 12-14-2017 at 08:01 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just discovered a company that manufactures drives with glass scale feedback - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CNC-Holy...-/322393653446
    Aussie too! I had an awful lot of trouble ebay'ing / aliexpress searching for DC servo motors but I came across these from the US - https://www.automationtechnologiesin...-dual-shaft-2/
    Perhaps I could pair the two? Looks like a good option, they also offer normal dc servo motor drivers.

In the meantime I've been scraping my column and table with the help of a club and a BIAX. Another new world, but a lot easier to understand than the electrical servo drive side for a novice.
    https://imgur.com/a/DNdXd

Last edited by j3dprints; 12-26-2017 at 12:53 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

The DC motors from Automation Tech don't appear to come with encoders. So there's another cost.

Also, they have a no-load speed of 3200RPM - significantly lower than the DMM Tech you were considering earlier. Plus they need a power supply - more money (vs. the DYN4 drives).

(Assuming I didn't miss this in a different post) I think you might figure out what motion control system you want first (Motion controller, controller software, BOB, etc.) and then pick a set of axis motors/drives after that.

If you choose a system that permits linear encoder feedback to close the loop to the trajectory planner - then you can use 'dumb' axis motors & drives to achieve the accuracy you indicated you wanted earlier. (i.e. Galil controller and Jim Dawson's software)

If you choose something that doesn't permit closing the loop to the planner, then you may need to purchase axis motors/drive that have their own error correction system (servos, closed-loop steppers, etc.).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12