Not sure how to proceed...

Thread: Not sure how to proceed...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Not sure how to proceed...

I am looking at getting either a Lathe or a Mill. Unsure of which to get first. The machines I am looking at are:

Milling Machine:
    Either the PM-25MV with DRO, or the G0759(seems to be the G0704 with DRO)

Similar prices, just not sure which one is better. What do you guys think?

For the Lathe:
    The G0602Z (The G0602 with DRO)

I am a total beginner, so I am sorry if these are stupid questions. I am just stuck as to which I should get first. It seems like the mill would be more versatile than the lathe, but like I said, I am a total noob. I think I will probably end up getting the Mill first, I am leaning more towards that. But I really want a lathe too... Ahhh. This sucks. I wish I had the cash to just get both right now.

Either way. I would like to hear from some people with experience about which machine I should get first. Also for the mills, which one do you guys think is the better mill? The Grizzly or the Precision Matthews? Is there any online sources or books I should read to help me in getting started in this hobby? What are some good beginner projects that I should work on? I would also like to turn this into a career at some point, so any pointers to help out with that would be appreciated also.

Also what are some of the basic necessity tools for each machine? For the lathe, I know I can get a basic lathe cutting tool set, But I can't find anything similar for the mill. I know I am asking a lot, so any help you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Similar Threads:

Default Re: Not sure how to proceed...

My recommendation would be to get the Lathe 1st, your additional tooling costs will be lower! This way you can get a bigger mill! The little milling machines are so restrictive, you will out grow it fast!
    Have fun!
    Widgit

www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There was a day when hobby machinists only owned a lathe along with a modestly priced milling attachment/vise.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would choose the lathe first you might find a good used one with the gearbox for threading. I've always been told the lathe is capable of reproducing itself and many have a milling attachment.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would buy the mill and then buy a lathe chuck mounted to an R-8 arbor. Then you can mill and turn on the mill.

3" 3 Jaw Self Centering Precision Chuck & R8 Arbor

Downloads
    Uploads

My vote is mill first. A mill can handle a lot of turning jobs better than a lathe can handle milling jobs. I am decidedly a 3 axis guy over two.

There may be a better answer if you let us know what it is that you want to accomplish.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe it comes down to what you're going to make.
    A lathe will do some milling, limited travel, some setups difficult. But as I said before many home machinists get along with only a lathe.
    A mill can do some turning, but usually very limited in length, and difficult setups for anything but short pieces.
    Let's suppose you are going to build a model engine; internal or external combustion. It will involve both turning and milling operations and assuming it is only several inches, you can build it with either machine, but when it comes to boring the cylinder, maybe honing it, perhaps cutting fins, turning and fitting a piston, turning a crankshaft, it is much easier on a lathe; you can see what you're doing.
    Mmmm, sounds to me like I'm partial.
    Have you considered a 3 in 1 machine? It's a great way to start. I started with one, bootstrapped it to CNC, went on from there.
    Ozzie

Downloads
    Uploads

I would not recommend a 3-in-1 unless it was to somebody who really ticked me off. I too owned one and I got to say it was a complete dog - doing neither turning nor milling very well, and the 3rd (drilling?) not enough travel.
    Personally I would agree on getting a lathe first, and then a mill. Many simple beginner projects are lathe oriented and you can do a lot with the lathe and a 4 jaw chuck or face plate. I wouldn't bother with a milling attachment for the lathe, just buy the mill when you are ready.

Mike

Downloads
    Uploads

Okay. So you need both.
    The looming question still remains. What are you going to be making the most of?

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mike,
    Can't agree on the 3 in 1.
    I had a used Shoptask for almost 10 years which I constantly worked on improving along with making some beautiful, accurate parts. Improving a machine like that, (bootstrapping), teaches a lot about machines and machining.
    I took pictures along the way and sometimes I see one and think, holy crap, I made that with the Shoptask!

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes the 3 in 1's are upgrade ready.
    It is like the Shop Smith though. It's not really a table saw, though it can act like one.
    You set a 3 in 1 up for either the lathe or the mill rather easily. If your time to switch over isn't an issue for you, then it could very well be the one single machine that could do it all, within reason, eventually.

Lee