Simple control software or hardware, simulate manual operation, for CNC?

Thread: Simple control software or hardware, simulate manual operation, for CNC?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Simple control software or hardware, simulate manual operation, for CNC?

I know this might sound backwards, but is there a good way to manipulate your CNC machine using Mach3 so you can operate it more like a manual mill?

Say I want to edge off some stock material, and square it off on 3 sides.

On one hand, i dont want to create a CAM program (havent really learned that yet), model the part, and create simple tool path, post process, transfer file, load file and then indicate off and set go. and hope it doesnt crash.

On the other hand, I'm looking for something more automated than pressing Tab to bring up that jog control, setting motor speeds, then pressing shift-arrow Y, change to jog increment .010", move +.010" x, then repeat.

Or further on, indicating the edge and then drilling a couple patterns of holes.

is a pendant the simple answer? prefer a gamepad? is theres a simpler CAM wizard people like to use?

what do you guys use?

Tyson

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Simple control software or hardware, simulate manual operation, for CNC?

MDI?

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Simple control software or hardware, simulate manual operation, for CNC?

so MDI, manual data input, you really input single strings of text for each command? for what kind of action do you recommend this?

Downloads
    Uploads

I use a gamepad for simple operations. MDI if dimensions matter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Get a decent pendant, with a REAL MPG, like a VistaCNC P2S. It will let you do what you want with far better control than a manual machine. You can do nearly everything entirely from the pendant.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    I use a gamepad for simple operations. MDI if dimensions matter.
    i got my old PS2 (wired) controller working with a HDE adapter to USB. using Keygrabber works great. it jogs and high speed moves well.

I also tried the Joypad plugin. I'm guessing the features it has available is more for fully automated control? it was very much less helpful in my opinion, not quite what i was looking for. and couple times made everything erratic forcing me to e-stop.

so it got me wondering also, would a numeric keypad be a useful accessory close to the machine? it could be used for even MDI control if i make "5" non-numlock button "G". i could input single lines of code with just the number pad. anyone ever try something like this?

i'd like to get a "real MPG" one day. just not there yet, part of the fun of it is to tinker and find out other ways to do things...

A pendant really is a great tool. My cheap Chinese wireless pendant gets used all of the time. It doesn’t matter if I am setting work offsets, simply squaring stock, or just trying to get the bed to an area where I can load a vise or part, it all gets done using the pendant. That said, learning control of MDI is huge too. It’s pretty easy to manually punch in commands to do some surprisingly complex operations.

Downloads
    Uploads

Pendant with a MPG wheel.

Downloads
    Uploads

what do you guys use?
    My first CNC conversion was a drill press for drilling homemade PCBs. During this I realized how losing manual control, and always having to depend on computer and CNC, was a PITA. Also, realized that the ubiquitous quill/bit automatic spring return on a manual drill press was a functional compromise and often undesirable. My next CNC conversion made sure that full manual operation would always be an option by design and didn't have to be simulated.

I do miss having the manual drill press function of a manual mill. With MDI however I can close. Of course I have to turn on the machine, turn the software on, jog the table, etc., with a manual machine that single hole I often need to drill would have been done. Then again, my right arm used to ache after an hour or two of running the manual machine even with a power feed on X. Meanwhile my CNC machine ran for 8 hours with no complaints.

Downloads
    Uploads

Positioning (before CNC G-code execution for example) via manual axis hand wheels can be more efficient than using jog keys and digital wheels when visual feedback is more relevant than exact distance moved.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by eldata View Post
    Positioning (before CNC G-code execution for example) via manual axis hand wheels can be more efficient than using jog keys and digital wheels when visual feedback is more relevant than exact distance moved.
    Visual feedback? Like that is accurate.
    Personally I will never spin a handle again. I can get where I want in a fraction of the time and I can go to the same place every time, instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A lazy man does it twice.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Visual feedback? Like that is accurate.
    Personally I will never spin a handle again. I can get where I want in a fraction of the time and I can go to the same place every time, instantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    CNC hasn't made tools like punches and edge finders obsolete for users of CNC capable machines. Positioning by sight still remains a reality.

Sent from a desktop with a 28" monitor while reclined and with a margarita in one hand

Dual 27’s and bourbon here. I don’t do any punch work but my touch probe replaced my edge finder along time ago. Way less messing around. It’s great for setting up multiple work offsets too, I just probe their position and enter the offsets into my CAM and off I go. Manual operation isn’t even in the same league.

Downloads
    Uploads

Still doesn't refute what I stated which was that using traditional axis hand wheels can be more efficient than using other manual positioning methods like MDI, jog keys or digital wheels.

Like what?

Downloads
    Uploads

Rather than hijacking this thread, a new thread with a video demo would probably be the best way to proceed. In the meantime, you've probably noticed that when one updates the time on better digital clocks, the rate of update increases based on the length of time the relevant button is held down. One then releases the button when close to the set target then press it again in order to arrive at the target using a slower update rate. Inferior digital clocks have update rates fixed. Even if they had somewhere to go in and change the rate, it would still be inferior to having on the fly rate change capability.

Downloads
    Uploads

As an owner of a manual Bridgeport & a CNC Mill .. I'll give a +1 to the electronic controls.
    Moving a machine in .0001 increments CONSISTENTLY with manual hand wheels is tough. A simple flip of a switch and you can move a cnc machine all day long in .0001 increments. or .001, or .01, or .1