Newbie My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.

Thread: My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.

Pretty stoked. I'm just about finished my pan and enclosure for my PM25 conversion. I'm slowly but sure working my way towards flood coolant and I looked at a lot of different pan and enclosure options. Well finally I had a week off work and just got an itch and built one from scratch. Here's where I'm at as of tonight.

I also built a removable attachment for my control box and the plan is to build another for the other side of the stand for the PC. Also on the to do list is the catch pan/drain system/plumbing to the sump box. I have some perforated stainless sheet I'm hoping to use. The plan is for the catch pan to attach to the mounting bolts/bosses you see on the bottom of the mill pan.

I used 1" industrial equipment rubber blocks to raise the mill. I think they'll seal themselves but I'm going to put some sealant around them to be sure. Really just planning on doing some testing after the bulk of the details are finished to make sure the pan is water tight before mounting anything permenantly

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.-img_3807-jpg   My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.-img_3809-jpg   My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.-img_3812-jpg   My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.-img_3811-jpg  

My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.-img_3810-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.

Looks nice! I like it. How do you like the pm25? I've been contemplating purchasing one for my kids to use and learn on.

Downloads
    Uploads

Louis,

Looks pretty slick. A question..is the tool holder storage noted in the pictures a temporary thing or is they where you're going to leave them? Seems like a better place would be outside..somewhere clean and chip-free.

Stuart

"THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

lol. Oh no, I had just set them in there as I was tidying up after the build. The tool holder has been traveling as building the enclosure and moving the mill around has displaced quite a few things in the garage. I originally had the mill sitting on the bench where the PC is and there was a table where the mill stand is.

The mill was displaced by the PM1228 lathe I just purchased. The lathe kinda forced my hand in building the stand/enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by atomarc View Post
    Louis,

Looks pretty slick. A question..is the tool holder storage noted in the pictures a temporary thing or is they where you're going to leave them? Seems like a better place would be outside..somewhere clean and chip-free.

Stuart

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really love the PM25. I've watched/researched so many people doing the G0704 conversions and honestly I really think the PM25 is way worth the extra money. The only caviate to that is that mill is far from original now. What would be really awesome would be if you could just purchase the parts of the mill you need instead all of it. I have a whole box of old parts that I know I'll never use again.

Quote Originally Posted by biqut2 View Post
    Looks nice! I like it. How do you like the pm25? I've been contemplating purchasing one for my kids to use and learn on.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louis_mielke View Post
    I really love the PM25. I've watched/researched so many people doing the G0704 conversions and honestly I really think the PM25 is way worth the extra money. The only caviate to that is that mill is far from original now. What would be really awesome would be if you could just purchase the parts of the mill you need instead all of it. I have a whole box of old parts that I know I'll never use again.
    I'm torn between the pm25 or the pm940. I already own other Items purchased from Matt at PM and have been happy with all of them. I'm just unsure about it being "too small". Don't want to have buyers remorse wishing I had gone bigger. Do you happen to have a build log detailing all your work?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sadly I don't have a build thread. I have plenty of pictures along the way but I kinda felt like I was just retreading what others have already done. Anything specific you're looking for info on?

I'm torn between the pm25 or the pm940. I already own other Items purchased from Matt at PM and have been happy with all of them. I'm just unsure about it being "too small". Don't want to have buyers remorse wishing I had gone bigger. Do you happen to have a build log detailing all your work?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louis_mielke View Post
    Sadly I don't have a build thread. I have plenty of pictures along the way but I kinda felt like I was just retreading what others have already done. Anything specific you're looking for info on?
    I'm curious what size motors and the pitch on the ball screws you used. The reason I ask is I'm curious what kinds of speeds and feed rates you are able to achieve with the stock spindle motor before it starts to bog down. My main use for it would be aluminum and stainless, not sure what maerials you work with on a regular basis.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Some more random pics along the way.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.-img_3813-jpg   My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.-img_3814-jpg   My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.-img_3668s-jpg   My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.-img_3738-jpg  

My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.-img_3732-jpg   My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.-img_3731-jpg   My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.-hqec6779-jpg   My enclosure is just about finished and I felt like sharing.-img_3391-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I actually upgraded to the 1100w spindle kit from automationtechnologies. The stock motor barely maxed at 2200 rpm. I'm using steppers from automationtechnologies as well.

Dave (arizonasomethinghandle) supplied the C7 ball screws. He has a nice kit for this mill. I also worked with the guys at benchtopprecision to make sure some of the belt drive parts they had would work on the PM25.

I wish I could claim I DIYed all of it but I just used alot of what is already available and made it fit my preferences..

I'm curious what size motors and the pitch on the ball screws you used. The reason I ask is I'm curious what kinds of speeds and feed rates you are able to achieve with the stock spindle motor before it starts to bog down. My main use for it would be aluminum and stainless, not sure what maerials you work with on a regular basis.