Need Help! x2 Mill upgrade to CNC

Thread: x2 Mill upgrade to CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default x2 Mill upgrade to CNC

I have started my cnc upgrade, HF X2 mini mill.

I call it the "Blue OX"

Here is what I have done so far:

1. LMS Larger base:
    2. LMS Solid Column
    3. New placement of head.
    4. Added ball screw to Z-axis
    5. Air shock.
    6. Ball screws Z & Y axis

x2 Mill upgrade to CNC-blue-ox-jpg

The mounting plate for the head looks off and it is. When I did the layout I did not center the head assembly on the back plane. The heads are spot on and only odd looking item is the mounting block. I am new at this and make some mistakes.
    You can see that I got the Z-axis ball screw installed and it does work well. I am setting up the Y-axis now, the ball screw is longer the what it was before and the end of the ball screw has a bearing on it set in the back of the base mount. I am going to mount the motor off to the right as pictured so as not to have it protruding out the front of the mill.

I do not have another mill so I am using my 8x12/14 lathe as a mill and added a mount to hod pieces for milling.

I added a HF vice that I took apart and did the following:
    1. lapped all slides to remove machining marks and paint.
    2. add new handles
    3. and rearranged the vice so I could get at the handles and gib set screws which I chained to socket head screws.

x2 Mill upgrade to CNC-center-rotary-table-minute-without-indicator_tmp_cover_206785391055-jpg

This is the test mounting of the vice and I will add a newer photo latter.

I was able to get all the movement out of the vice and by using the z-axis break I got it to stop moving.
    This whole thing is trail and error.

If there is anyone in my area that can help it would be great, Chino Valley AZ. USA