Newbie: G0704, advice on end mill kits and table clamp/vice

Thread: Newbie: G0704, advice on end mill kits and table clamp/vice

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie: G0704, advice on end mill kits and table clamp/vice

Hi guys,

Newbie here who just bought a G0704 mill. I plan on learning how to hand machine first and then perhaps later convert it into a cnc machine.

First question: Should I get table clamps or a vice?

Second Question: How do I know which size table clamp or vice I need to buy. The G0704 has specifications that state T-Slot: 3 @ 2.5 inch, centers 1/2 inch wide?

Third Question: Which diameter end mills should I purchase for a beginner, I am going to be cutting aluminum. I was doing some research and it seems that a 3 flute carbide end mill would be good. Could you point me to a kit that would be good for beginners that I could experiment with, I know I am going to break a few end mills so Im guessing I should start with cheap ones.

Fourth Question: Is there anything else that I would need to purchase to get up and running? So far I have the cnc machine, need to get end mills and table clamp/vice and metal off course.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie: G0704, advice on end mill kits and table clamp/vice

As for vise and clamping, you should get both. I know for me there are many times that the stuff I am making won't fit in the vise.

I have a 4" vise that I think is about the right size for a G0704, but many say a 5" is a good fit too. A 6" is a beast and definitely too big for a G0704.

For clamps, you can get a clamp kit like this one 7/16" 3/8"-16 52pc Clamping Kit - Clamping Component - Toolholding & Workholding - Products . The T-slots on the G0704 are very tight with T-slot nuts for a 1/2" slot. I already had a set with T-slot nuts for a 1/2" slot, and just bought some 7/16" slot nuts to complement the set.

As for end mills. I tend to use 3/8" and 1/2" diameter end mills mostly. I have a variety, but for a beginner, I would recommend starting off cheap. It doesn't hurt as much when you break a $4 HSS end mill compared to a $20 carbide. A G0704 in stock form really doesn't have the RPM capability to effectively use a small carbide anyway. I would recommend getting uncoated 2 flute HSS end mills as a start. They are cheap, durable, and last a long time when machining aluminum.