Newbie End mill recommendation for n00b?

Thread: End mill recommendation for n00b?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default End mill recommendation for n00b?

I got my maxNC little mill up and running. I am playing with cutting aluminum.

I'm not sure on the RPM (i was told it's fixed at 10k, but I'll verify tonight). The machine I think is rated for 30ipm and slower. I could be way off, but jus playing around I'm keeping it at 10ipm. The finish is a bit rough but then again I have no idea what I'm doing

Can someone recommend some end mills. I see so much back and forth on how many flutes, what coatings etc etc.
    I know I will break some so I don't want top of the line but something budget friendly that can do a good finish so I can see some progress.

Going to get some in 1/16, 1/8, 3/16 and 1/8.

Also any place you can recommend for learning speeds/feeds for a small little machine?
    I did a drill op with the machine at 3IPM and the motor stalled.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Similar Threads:
    MaxNC15 - currently under construction
    Torchmate 2x2 with Flashcut CNC Controls

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: End mill recommendation for n00b?

What size drill did you stall the motor at running at 3ipm? Is the drill still sharp? If it's a current model, it looks like it's a 10k motor, but the spindle runs at 4300 RPM (belt reduction.)
    For aluminum you usually want 2 or 3 flute. There are many aluminum specific 3-flute end mills, but 2-flute tend to be the generic jack of all trade mills. Uncoated carbide is fine, stay away from AlTiN and TiAlN coatings. Get the shortest flute length you can use for your cut and put it as far into the collet as you can get away with, keeping the stickout short really helps with chatter and finish.
    Maritool and lakeshorecarbide both have good, reasonably priced mills specifically for aluminum.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    I got my maxNC little mill up and running. I am playing with cutting aluminum.

I'm not sure on the RPM (i was told it's fixed at 10k, but I'll verify tonight). The machine I think is rated for 30ipm and slower. I could be way off, but jus playing around I'm keeping it at 10ipm. The finish is a bit rough but then again I have no idea what I'm doing

Can someone recommend some end mills. I see so much back and forth on how many flutes, what coatings etc etc.
    I know I will break some so I don't want top of the line but something budget friendly that can do a good finish so I can see some progress.

Going to get some in 1/16, 1/8, 3/16 and 1/8.

Also any place you can recommend for learning speeds/feeds for a small little machine?
    I did a drill op with the machine at 3IPM and the motor stalled.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks
    https://www.littlemachineshop.com/pr...2548&category=

Speed and Feed Calculator
    Feed Rate Calculator
    https://www.cnccookbook.com/cnc-feed-rate-calculator/

Downloads
    Uploads

You only want to spin that fast when you're using really small tools (like 1/16"). Doesn't the Flashcut software let you change the spindle speed? Also, a peck drill cycle would be better than a straight plunge, since it breaks the chips.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You only want to spin that fast when you're using really small tools (like 1/16"). Doesn't the Flashcut software let you change the spindle speed? Also, a peck drill cycle would be better than a straight plunge, since it breaks the chips.
    Yep but i'm not using the software for the spindle speed. Found a 1/2hp motor for $100. And this rotary speed control for $20 and I'll get some mounts, pulleys, belts for another $90-100 and that should be all I need for now
    https://www.harborfreight.com/router...rol-43060.html

Downloads
    Uploads

What's wrong with the motor you've got? Just not enough torque?
    Also, why not use the software for the spindle speed?
    Those speed controllers aren't the most precise, they tend to make the motor bog down worse than it would without the controller. What type of motor do you plan on using?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    What's wrong with the motor you've got? Just not enough torque?
    Also, why not use the software for the spindle speed?
    Those speed controllers aren't the most precise, they tend to make the motor bog down worse than it would without the controller. What type of motor do you plan on using?
    I believe my current motor is 1/10hp and I hear they burn up. It also tends to get really hot pretty quick so just trying to avoid what is bound to happen.
    I'm still very very green with the software. So I will get there eventually but for now just want it on/off manually. Trying to learn one thing at time. My main focus right now is getting my starting point figured out because it seems off, then a laptop just for the mill and a few software tweaks.
    I want to get the 1/2HP motor
    1/2 HP SPINDLE MOTOR

It will bolt on with their brackets and such and i don't have to play around with making brackets and things like that