Build Thread My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way

Thread: My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way

Downloads
    Uploads

Default My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way

Hello everyone, I thought I would do a bit of a build thread showing my experiences with my new cnc adventure. From looking at other threads on here 90% of everyone seems to be pretty competent, so for the remaining 10% who may be afraid to ask daft questions my build thread may be more applicable to you as I know absolutely nothing, so im learning each day.

I have chosen to buy a mini CNC machine which is 4 Axis and has a bed size of 240 x 340 with a working area of 200 x 400. I paid £420 for this Chinese machine which was actually stored in a warehouse in Germany. The benefit of this was that it arrived in 3 days and zero duty, clever thinking by the seller.

Here is the machine

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-20170621_205415-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-20170621_205350-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-20170621_205324-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the

I had to assemble it slightly in the sense of attaching the motors and plugging them in, simply really.
    My mate took the machine to his to see if he could start setting the new pc (purpose bought for this machine) to communicate with the machine, we are using a usb connection and I have purchased Planet CNC software which can be obtained from here:
    https://planet-cnc.com/software/

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-index-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the

Whilst my mate was working on the machine it gave me chance to try and make some space at my workshop (which is very small) for the pc and machine. Decided to put it next to my booth

I purchased a cheap workbench from the bay which suits the machine nicely, slowly getting there, will be a nice little workstation once finished

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-1-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-3-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-4-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-5-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Well a bit of a small but positive update, managed to sort the work area out for the cnc machine and the control pc, included a few essential tools and measuring equipment. Extraction system next.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-01-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-02-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

As this machine doesnt come with any limit switches as standard I have purchased some very small and discrete switches, I have also sourced some nice and small 2 pin connectors so they can be unplugged at any time with ease.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-03-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-04-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

As the control box which came with the machine had a faulty x axis driver I didn't want to exchange it for another cheap one, so I asked a few question on here and got some very good responses, all of which were pretty much above my head. As I have already purchased the Planet CNC software I thought it would make sense to purchase their own control box as I think the support they can provide would be very beneficial to myself being a complete novice. The box arrived on Monday, only ordered it on the Friday so I was very impressed with the delivery time. Once arrived I unpacked it, looked at it a bit confused then managed to find a spare half hour to start assembling it. Work was halted though when I realised my soldering iron was at home.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-05-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-06-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-07-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-08-jpg  

My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-09-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I managed to have a good session on the control box tonight and my first ever stab at soldering, its a lot harder than it looks.
    First job was to solder the pins to the board for the motor connections and other plugs which in not sure of lol

Then it was to solder the small on off switch and power from the mains plug

Here is a pic of the old driver board v the new Planet driver board, you can see the quality difference straight away (I just hope this one works)
    old

new

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-20170704_204009-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-20170704_203958-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-20170704_213701-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-20170704_214640-jpg  

My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-20170704_215742-jpg   My Cheapo Chineese 3020t mini CNC Build (more like improvements) leanring all the way-20170704_215747-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Now I had to wire in the cables for the limit switches, this was a little bit fiddly, I used a few small pieces of heat shrink to help keep the cables together.

Now to attached the ribbons for each axis.

Thats all I managed last night, all that needs doing now is wiring the octocoupler in (which I have no idea what that is)

Really happy with it so far, hopefully have it fired up in the next few days fingers crossed

- - - Updated - - -

Managed to get a bit more done tonight. I have decided to install limit switches to help prevent damage and to aid homing. I have decided to put 2 each of the x and y axis and one on the z axis. I have soldered 2 small tails to the switches in NC configuration and crimped a small 2 pin plug for future maintenance/removal

- - - Updated - - -

right im at work doing a bit of skiving watching homeland and messing with this control box, I have re soldered the plug connections as advised, pelase have a look and give me your thoughts, don't think I can do much better if I'm honest
    before

And now after re soldering

Downloads
    Uploads

I have allso installed the limit switches, 2 on each x and y axis and one on the z axis

- - - Updated - - -

A common problem with this model of cnc machine is excess play on the z axis, this is caused by a small gap from the top of the screw and the bearing just where it meets the motor. It is only about 1.5mm but is enough to worry you. Using a 3d printed washer I have solved this problem and now there is zero play in the z axis, got the idea from a funny chap off youtube.

Here is the excess play before

Here is how I solved it:
    I started with printing some washers
    8mm id 11mm od 2mm thickness

Now to remove the motor, and then the 2 retaining screws on top of the bearing

Now slide the printed washer onto the screw

Now install the bearing again, you must make sure that the bearing is flush with the top of the housing it is seated in, I had to sand about half a mm off to achieve this, once happy tighten the 2 retaining screws and then install the motor.

Here is the result

No play at all and the axis still moves nice and freely. An easy fix to what really should of been sorted at factory.

Hope this helps someone in the future :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Been very busy with work so been restricted when I can play with the machine, I have been plodding along in the back ground though. I have no fully re wired the stepper motors to the controller, I have binned the cheap 5 core unscreened power cables for a thicker screened 5 core cable and freshly soldered them to the plugs. These were a complete nightmare to try and fish through the cable track but I got there in the end. Once wired up the motors were making a high pitch noise, also when trying to jog any of the axis they just seemed to move back and fourth which is a tell tale sign of the wrong core pairs being wired up. For anyone interested, my motors are 4 cable motors, which means it has 2 coils with 1 pair of cables per coil. I used the multimetre to find when 2 of the cables were connected a circuit was made, that way I could establish which cables were paired together. The I wired one pair to pins 1 and 2, and the other to 4 and 5 of the 5 pin plug and hey presto it worked well. I have made the length of the cables just shy of 3m for now as im making a full enclosure so thought it is much easier to cut the cables back than to add in AND RE-FISH THROUGH THE CABLE TRACK LOL

Anyway here is a few pics, limit switches are to be done tonight then I can start setting the controller up through the software which I really have no idea how to do but got plenty of literature from Planet CNC to guide me, would like to mention they have been very supportive throughout this build even though I have been bombarding them with daft question constantly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Well I have redone the soldering, and im pretty happy with it. Its still balled up a little but the prongs stick out through the board a fair bit so didnt really have a choice as I wanted the whole of the prong covered in solder, they are very round and meet the metal contact on the board pretty much perfectly, plent of solder also flowed into the connection to begin with :-)
    Before

After

- - - Updated - - -

After you all explained what a star was in the box it was obvious where it was when I opened it up. I have drilled a small hole near the motor connections and linked a bolt to the star so I can attached the earthed wires from the motor cable screens to it

- - - Updated - - -

Work has been crazy busy at the moment so only been able to do a little bit on the build. I have started to create an enclosure for the machine, this will consist of a sealed unit with 2 led strip light running at the top of the enclosure front to back each side. One side of the enclosure will be perspex and and front will be a hinged perspex door. There will be an extraction system installed on the side opposite the perspex. Its a very make-shift idea but it will serve a purpose I think and help keep the area as clean as possible.

I have replaced all the wood on the workbench from cheap thin mdf to 12mm thick ply wood for stability, weight and strength.

Now I have added a few coats of paint to the inside of the enclosure to aid lighting

Downloads
    Uploads

And here is the side perspex screen installed

- - - Updated - - -

Spent a few mins last night installing the new LED strip lights inside the enclosure, just need to sort a switch out then they will be fully functional.

Downloads
    Uploads

Managed to find a quick hour to do a bit on the machine with not the best results :-(.

Anyway I have wired up the limit switches and installed a second cable track on the opposite side to the motor cables to try and keep them separate. I have also drilled and tapped some holes to help clip the cables nice and neat

- - - Updated - - -

I labelled each of the limit switch cables only to find I did the wrong lol, only need one cable per axis (2 switches)

Plugged it all in but its still not working correctly, motors seem to stop intermittently and something up with the y limit plug socket in the box.

I have not done anything to the settings apart from set the units per step which seem to be working now (when the motors don't stop)

I have sent an email to planet cnc and will do some more investigating tonight. Very frustrating as its starting to look really neat, just got to make sure the hardware has been assembled correctly

All a learning curve , be it a VERY frustrating one lol

Cheers

Downloads
    Uploads

Well bit of an update. I sent the pcd back to planet and they emailed me back the day they received it saying there was a faulty bit of soldering on rhe board which they have rectified and tested. It is now back with me and I have re fitted it. This all took 3 days fir play to them foe sorting it quickly. Anyway I have been stripping the old control box to now house the stuff for the spindle motor

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the old box, I stripped it and sprayed it the same as the new control box as I want to mount the 2 together.

Now I mounted the power supply thing and bolted it now, I spaced it about 5mm up off the deck to help air flow, not sure if it is needed but though as there are vents on the underside it would make sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Now I have to find a place to fit the small pcb which has the speed control dial plugged into it

Is it ok to mount this box directly ontop of my new box so it is nice and neat? I think the power will go from one box to another so it would be much neater if the cables were kept internal hence linking the boxes?

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that's a lot of work for a 3020.....you'll probably outgrow it once you play with it a bit......you didn't actually say what you are going to make with it.

BTW....as you are masochistically inclined and want to "improve" everything on the machine, if you have problems with the stepper drivers or want to go better, go onto the MASSMINDS.ORG website.....James Newton et al.

They have stepper driver kits and break out boards (DIY assembly etc) that are quoted to be a huge improvement on the Chinese stuff......specifically anything related to the TB6600 crap....they produce the kits using the TBH6064AH chip for better power output and reliability etc.

If you Google MASSMINDS.ORG there is a video of the testing of the improved kit form as well as a list of the kits and pricing to date.
    Ian.

wisconsinjimmy

Good Day Sir,
    I have a CNC same as yours and I too have been trying to get the CNC to work proper so I am liking this thread. I am wondering if you would like to sell one of your washers to take the play out of my Z.
    Jim

Downloads
    Uploads

Right chaps I need some help. I have Wired the spindle control board up to my planet cnc enclosure box as instructed by Planet themselves. However I am having difficulty in getting advice on how to get power to the spindle power pack.

Here is what I have done so far:

I have removed the potentiometer, capped off one wire and wired the 0-5v and gnd to the pin6 and gnd on the planet board. I have soldered the wires and heat shrunk them

- - - Updated - - -

I just dont know how to supply power from the enclosure box to the large silver power pack which is mounted on top for the spindle.

It has these connections on it: