Oldham couplings

Thread: Oldham couplings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Oldham couplings

Hello all,

I'm new here and am seeking some advice. I'm installing a CNC Fusion kit on a Sieg X2D mini mill. I found an old thread here where the topic of discussion was couplings...and the majority seemed to be in favor of Oldham style couplings. I just ordered some from McMaster but now am wondering if I jumped the gun.

My concern is the x-axis ballscrew setup. The thrust bearing is on the right side of the table and the motor goes on the left side. The ballscrew is unsupported on the motor end and relies on the coupling to keep it in line with the motor shaft.

I've never seen an Oldham coupler aside from in pictures, but it sure looks like they would like to have the shaft supported, else they could slide way out of alignment and bind up when the motor turns again.

Any thoughts re this?

Thanks!
    Scot

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Oldham couplings

It is always better to ensure a ballscrew is supported by bearings on both ends. If you do what you are suggesting the bearings in the motor are carrying the ballscrew load and the coupling would really need to be rigid to it can move in any direction.

Russ

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unfortunately, I don't have the resources to modify the CNC Fusion kit at this time. I actually don't think a bearing can be added without sourcing a longer ballscrew or sacrificing x-axis travel.

If the Oldham couplers don't work, what should I use? I want to try Clearpath servos so don't want to introduce slop if it can be avoided. Part of the challenge is finding a coupling with 2 different bore sizes. The ballscrews are 5/16" and the motors are 3/8".

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

That is an extremely poor set up, a ball screw should definitely be supported both ends and proper bearings to prevent end float, Couplings are never intended to do the job, What is the reason for not fitting the bearings at the motor end? Room?
    One excellent source of hardware is Misumi USA.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have no idea why there's no bearing on the motor side. I honestly didn't study their website too much prior to purchase as there are not very many options for ready made kits. The machining looks really nice and the ballscrews are also very nice.

If the ballscrew were longer and the motor mount thicker, bearings could be added to the motor side. That's basically a redesign of the entire x-axis at that point.

The kit is available for purchase with Lovejoy couplers or, as an upgrade, beam type couplings. I have the Lovejoy type but they won't fit the motors I want to use...wrong shaft size. Both the Lovejoy and beam type are not really what I want to use anyway.

It's funny, the Clearpath manual recommends bellows type couplings but most coupling manufacturers seems to indicate bellows type are not meant for higher torque applications. At least that's what it seemed like to me. Bellows couplings are quite expensive, in any case, and difficult to source with different bore sizes on each end.

I guess I have no option for now but to try the Oldham couplings and see if they're going to work. The ballscrew is somewhat supported by the nut in the table and thrust bearing on the far end.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you do use bellows type for servo drive, they have to be stainless, not aluminum, these are for encoder drive etc.
    Oldham is not a type of coupler per-se, they are actually spider couplings, Oldham sells, or did, many different types of couplings, their are a few that are zero back lash, but they cost more, suppliers such as Misumi, sell spider couplers that are close to zero backlash due to the spider material used, in place of soft rubber.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Probably hundreds if not thousands of these Fusion Kits have been sold and are in use and NO-ONE has ever complained about the 'un-supported' shaft end!
    I think the Oldhams are a pretty good engineered / economic solution and quite capable for these machines - you'll stall the steppers before overloading the couplings. Trying to add a motor end bearing will more than likely result in binding within the shaft as its unlikely you'll get the shaft both parallel and square to the ways without a lot of effort which doesn't really achieve anything that an unsupported screw does IMO!

Downloads
    Uploads

The problem is that the description Oldham is a used (mistakenly) for a particular design coupling, and you can buy all degrees of quality of these spider couplings from non-backlash CNC possible quality. to ones only suited to motor-pump driving
    Al.

Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just to clarify, the Oldham couplings I ordered are the kind with the delrin coupler thing...not exactly sure what it's called. These are not the spider type of coupling. With the spider type, the two ends are somewhat captive due to the shape of the spider. The Oldham style couplers can "disengage," for lack of a better descriptor when, say, the motor stops moving at just the right angle and if the unsupported screw were to droop. When the motor starts up again, I'd imagine the screw would whip as it moves back into alignment. Hope that makes sense?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, a quick initial test of the Oldham couplings is promising. The ballscrew seems to be supported enough so that the coupling stays engaged enough and, so far, it seems to be quite usable. The McMaster couplings are a Ruland product and quite spendy. I ordered the clamp-on type which are about $20 for a single coupling, i.e. you need 2 plus the delrin insert to make one usable coupling so about $45 for one complete set. A setscrew type would be about $30 for one set. They are very nice though and seem to indeed have zero slop. Inserts are available in delrin or nylon. I ordered both. I'll have to place another order because I didn't realize you needed 2 to make a set so I came up short 3 pieces! :-)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Oldham's are really easy to make with a mill, especially with set screws. McMaster is fast but expensive on most everything. I bought the inserts from them but made my own couplers on the manual mill. Just needed the right reamer and some set-screws and taps.

Once the motor is mounted up, what you are effectively doing is supporting that end of the screw using the motor's bearings rather than bearings in the table end-caps. The Oldhams allow huge mis-alignment without stressing the shaft, so that keeps you from putting a lot of axial load on the motor bearing. The thrust load is handled on the other end so you should be in good shape.

Personally I'd want at least a slip-fit bronze bushing on the motor end to limit the wobble possible if just to limit vibration possibilities but it may not be a real issue for you.

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, yes, the coupling is sort of holding up the motor end of the screw, but I think because it's such a small mill and relatively short screw, the ballnut is also doing it's share supporting it.

I've run into a problem though. The Oldham is going to be too short for the z-axis motor. The CNC Fusion kit is designed around the Lovejoy couplings which are about 1-5/8' long. The Oldhams are 1.25" overall. The way the mount is designed, it won't be easy to move the motor closer. The Oldham coupling is also a little short for the x-axis, but that can be easily fixed by shortening that motor mount. So, after trying to figure out how to deal with the z-axis, I think the easiest way is to custom make a thicker delrin insert disk. I need about 8mm more length on the Z and about 4mm more on the X (without modifying the mount).

Does anyone think making what is essentially a thick delrin insert a bad idea? Anyone up for making a few of them for me (Paypal ready)? My mill is in many pieces right now and I threw all the manual parts in the junk box so making my own is not really an option.

Downloads
    Uploads

Why not add a bracket and use a standard bearing for maintaining screw concentricity, doesn't need to be thrust rated, just using it to locate screw center. Only giving up 6-7mm at the most. Have a picture to clarify what you are working with on the motor side?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    Why not add a bracket and use a standard bearing for maintaining screw concentricity, doesn't need to be thrust rated, just using it to locate screw center. Only giving up 6-7mm at the most. Have a picture to clarify what you are working with on the motor side?

If the ballscrew were a bit longer and the motor mount were a bit deeper, perhaps there would be options. The way it's designed, the coupling is, for the most part, within the bored hole in the motor mount. It also partially interferes with the carriage. They supply a Lovejoy coupling that's turned down on one end that is supposed to allow clearance. I'll attach some pics.

I've pondered over this for some time now and can't come up with any ideas, aside from a near complete redo. Not a big deal as it is, more or less, an off the shelf solution and that's what I wanted when I bought the kit.

I posted in the RFQ forum looking for someone interested in helping me make some new delrin disks for the Oldham couplings.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oldham couplings-img_1613-jpg   Oldham couplings-img_1612-jpg   Oldham couplings-image-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Man that's a really odd design, would be ready to m make that screw longer add a bearing and space the motor mount a bit for clearance.. I wouldn't mind the motor on the opposing side of the fixed bearing but I'd be fixing the motor side being unsupported. What screws are they? C7? Cheap enough to replace if so and worked if they aren't double nut type for better backlash. The good news is you have access mill sand can design and make your own conversion parts now!