Oldham couplings - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oldham couplings

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Oldham couplings

Thanks, yes, the coupling is sort of holding up the motor end of the screw, but I think because it's such a small mill and relatively short screw, the ballnut is also doing it's share supporting it.

I've run into a problem though. The Oldham is going to be too short for the z-axis motor. The CNC Fusion kit is designed around the Lovejoy couplings which are about 1-5/8' long. The Oldhams are 1.25" overall. The way the mount is designed, it won't be easy to move the motor closer. The Oldham coupling is also a little short for the x-axis, but that can be easily fixed by shortening that motor mount. So, after trying to figure out how to deal with the z-axis, I think the easiest way is to custom make a thicker delrin insert disk. I need about 8mm more length on the Z and about 4mm more on the X (without modifying the mount).

Does anyone think making what is essentially a thick delrin insert a bad idea? Anyone up for making a few of them for me (Paypal ready)? My mill is in many pieces right now and I threw all the manual parts in the junk box so making my own is not really an option.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why not add a bracket and use a standard bearing for maintaining screw concentricity, doesn't need to be thrust rated, just using it to locate screw center. Only giving up 6-7mm at the most. Have a picture to clarify what you are working with on the motor side?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    Why not add a bracket and use a standard bearing for maintaining screw concentricity, doesn't need to be thrust rated, just using it to locate screw center. Only giving up 6-7mm at the most. Have a picture to clarify what you are working with on the motor side?

If the ballscrew were a bit longer and the motor mount were a bit deeper, perhaps there would be options. The way it's designed, the coupling is, for the most part, within the bored hole in the motor mount. It also partially interferes with the carriage. They supply a Lovejoy coupling that's turned down on one end that is supposed to allow clearance. I'll attach some pics.

I've pondered over this for some time now and can't come up with any ideas, aside from a near complete redo. Not a big deal as it is, more or less, an off the shelf solution and that's what I wanted when I bought the kit.

I posted in the RFQ forum looking for someone interested in helping me make some new delrin disks for the Oldham couplings.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oldham couplings-img_1613-jpg   Oldham couplings-img_1612-jpg   Oldham couplings-image-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Man that's a really odd design, would be ready to m make that screw longer add a bearing and space the motor mount a bit for clearance.. I wouldn't mind the motor on the opposing side of the fixed bearing but I'd be fixing the motor side being unsupported. What screws are they? C7? Cheap enough to replace if so and worked if they aren't double nut type for better backlash. The good news is you have access mill sand can design and make your own conversion parts now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12