Hobby RC motor as X2 spindle motor?

Thread: Hobby RC motor as X2 spindle motor?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hobby RC motor as X2 spindle motor?

Has anyone considered using an RC boat motor as a spindle motor replacement for the X2?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/rc-boats...ss-motors.html

As far as I can see they are cheap, come in 3 phase, have a fantastic power to weight ratio and can handle plenty of horse power. The only drawback seems to be they are built to be run from battery cells are are low voltage and hi amps. That could make them problematic to use with a VFD for instance. Otherwise they seem to fit the bill for a lightweight, small footprint motor.

Any thoughts?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hobby RC motor as X2 spindle motor?

I don't think you are going to run one of those with a VFD given that they seem to run about max 9 volts or so. But you could use a controller that is designed for use with them, and build a low voltage, high amp power supply, maybe like a battery charger.

As far as using one to drive a spindle, I dunno. Might work.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think there are a few models there that max out at 20-40 volts. Yes, a VFD won't work unfortunately.

The challenge would be to get Mach 3 to talk to the controller for accurate positioning, speeds etc. It might require some hacking. Not to mention a beefy power supply that can put out that many amps. Although at that low voltage range a PC power supply could be the ticket.

Downloads
    Uploads

One issue is they lack torque! Their HP ratings come from rpm so unless you have an application like engraving / jewelry making
    that uses micro cutting tools at 30 - 60,000 rpm they are a bit pointless. Even the Larger Outrunner types used for push bikes etc
    have been tried but found wanting!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kawazuki View Post
    One issue is they lack torque! Their HP ratings come from rpm so unless you have an application like engraving / jewelry making
    that uses micro cutting tools at 30 - 60,000 rpm they are a bit pointless. Even the Larger Outrunner types used for push bikes etc
    have been tried but found wanting!
    Ok that looks like it will be a deal breaker. Oh well.

So what kills the torque? Is is the voltage? So I should look for a motor with a higher max voltage?

Downloads
    Uploads

Nothing killed the torque. It never had it in the first place.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have seen one guy on youtube using a rc brushless motor as a spindle, using a gutted 300w chinese made spindle as spindle shaft and reduction pulleys to drive the spindle. He appears quite happy with the mod.
    There are rc motors with 600kv ratings running up to 22V battery packs, spinning at 13k rpm about the same speed as most chinese spindles. Speed can be controlled by ESC and 2HP is well within even a small motor capacity. With reduction pulleys, even speedy 2000kv motor can be used. Problem would be speed control by Mach3, manual control is not an issue with ESC and a ESC/Servo tester. 100A psu are readily available. Torque should not be a problem as they are used in even electrified bicycles with adequate reduction.
    You don't need a VFD, the ESC is effectively the VFD.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Nothing killed the torque. It never had it in the first place.
    Lol, that's not the most scientific answer. I'm guessing it's the low voltage that limits the torque on an electric motor. I will have to do some research on that.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

The torque is affected by 2 things - the current capability and the diameter. Having a larger physical diameter will generate more torque for the same current, but at a lower overall speed, increasing the current will increase the torque, within the limits of the motors ability to handle the current due to heat, and if its a brushless motor the permanent magnets are the limiting factor - they have a fixed magnetism, increasing the magnetic field acting against them doesn't result in more torque after a certain point, you are saturated.
    I.e. look at a 500w brushless motor for a bicycle versus a 500w brushless motor for an rc airplane. IF they both run 24VDC then they are drawing the same current and making the same power (500w), but the bicycle motor is doing it with torque and the little motor is doing it with RPM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ckm38 View Post
    I have seen one guy on youtube using a rc brushless motor as a spindle, using a gutted 300w chinese made spindle as spindle shaft and reduction pulleys to drive the spindle. He appears quite happy with the mod.
    There are rc motors with 600kv ratings running up to 22V battery packs, spinning at 13k rpm about the same speed as most chinese spindles. Speed can be controlled by ESC and 2HP is well within even a small motor capacity. With reduction pulleys, even speedy 2000kv motor can be used. Problem would be speed control by Mach3, manual control is not an issue with ESC and a ESC/Servo tester. 100A psu are readily available. Torque should not be a problem as they are used in even electrified bicycles with adequate reduction.
    You don't need a VFD, the ESC is effectively the VFD.
    I just purchased a Tangent Ascent 3kw for my Giant Team DH ;-) 7 lbs on the motor, 11 lbs on the battery. It rips.

A lazy man does it twice.