Motion Controllers: Mixing Servos & Stepper Motors - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Motion Controllers: Mixing Servos & Stepper Motors

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Motion Controllers: Mixing Servos & Stepper Motors

I believe that the ESS supports Mach4, which is encouraging. However, I still run Mach3 .062 and an ESS, and so far see no reason to change that.

Tapered threads - stock standard feature in Mach3, been there for a long time. As for 'multi-axis' capability, Mach3 has had SIX-axis capability for ages. And that is FULL SIMULTANEOUS SYNCHRONISED 6-axis. See posting #50 for some 4-axis stuff which had X, Y, Z,& A all running simultaneously in full synch.

Cheers
    Roger

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RCaffin View Post
    Tapered threads - stock standard feature in Mach3, been there for a long time.
    Tapered threads are not a "feature" of Mach3. They are a "feature" of whatever CAM you use. ANY controller capable of 3-axis moves can do straight or tapered threads.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking into the Galil/Mach option some more; it appears that several years ago there was a major evolutionary diversion point as far as machining technology when controllers went from linear-interpolation to high-order contouring guidance.
    It looks like I was somewhat mistaken about this when I posted earlier. Looking through the Mach4 Galil plugin manual, I see that the "contour mode" is specific to the Accelera controllers, and it is supported by the Mach4 plugin.
    There's more info on it here, but I don't really know what the difference is.

http://www.galilmc.com/download/datasheet/techref.pdf

But I still maintain that if you aren't using a Galil Accelera controller, then Mach4's motion isn't really any different than Mach3's.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    But I still maintain that if you aren't using a Galil Accelera controller, then Mach4's motion isn't really any different than Mach3's.
    That's my understanding also, but with the corollary that because the older Galil units don't communicate the same way as the newer contouring-capable ones, there's an insurmountable incompatibility with the Mach4 driver. But for the drivers that 'move' the same way as the old ones but communicate like the new ones --the 21x3 series-- Mach4 can still work with some level of reduced functionality as far as the advanced controls stuff. I'll pursue those controllers for the time being, and try to figure out exactly what kind of success and capability folks have been able to tease out of them using Mach4.

TCB

Downloads
    Uploads

I wouldn't expect to see a noticeable difference.
    People have been getting accurate parts from Mach3 and it's competitors for years.
    The only difference may be in perceived smoothness, and maybe only at very high speeds? Just a guess, though.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ray

Tapered threads are not a "feature" of Mach3. They are a "feature" of whatever CAM you use. ANY controller capable of 3-axis moves can do straight or tapered threads.
    Misunderstanding. I meant that 'tapered threads are supported by the Mach3 Threading Wizard'.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I wouldn't expect to see a noticeable difference.
    People have been getting accurate parts from Mach3 and it's competitors for years.
    The only difference may be in perceived smoothness, and maybe only at very high speeds? Just a guess, though.
    That's my assumption; stuff like second-order jerk really only matters when you're choreographing a high-speed ballet with heavy masses or trying to dynamically damp acoustic vibrations with death-grip control systems. My little benchtop has none of those things, lol, and I have all the time in the world to run prototype widgets.

Folks do seem to loudly sing the praises of the new controllers, but I notice they're mostly dealing with production machine retrofits or large routers; areas where this kind of control would see the most benefit.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

And where the budgets might have an extra one or two zeroes, and the customer might not have the skills to MYOG and might have to rely on the handhold from a major vendor.
    Never forget: for big commercial companies Capex of that size is trivial, but Downtime is the ultimate hell.

Cheers
    Roger

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456