X2 Spindle control......Thread mill?

Thread: X2 Spindle control......Thread mill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default X2 Spindle control......Thread mill?

Hello,
    I was wondering if anybody has ever thread milled on an X2 conversion with spindle control.
    I want to upgrade but the only reason I can see myself ever needing spindle control is to thread mill. And if that works how about ridged taping? (maybe out on a limb with that one) I don't want to add spindle control just to say I have it. I kinda like the fact I can be next to the workpiece and make RPM adjustments without going back to the control.
    Thanks again for the help!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: X2 Spindle control......Thread mill?

Not sure why you would need spindle control to threadmill. If you are talking about the process where the tool is driven in a helical path out of the hole to create the thread, I've done it many times with no control over the spindle necessary.

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LongRat View Post
    Not sure why you would need spindle control to threadmill. If you are talking about the process where the tool is driven in a helical path out of the hole to create the thread, I've done it many times with no control over the spindle necessary.
    Ya, I guess I should of worded that differently my fault. By adding spindle control will the motor maintain the proper speed to the programed lead for the thread... If the spindle fluctuates RPM to bad you can have finish/fit problems... That's why I said ridgid taping is a stretch cause of the synchronization of the axis' to spindle

Downloads
    Uploads

Thread milling is not really the same as tapping. You don't really need spindle control to thread mill. The cutter is actually spinning many times to cut the groove. It is the Z axis movement and interpolation of X and Y that determines thread size and pitch of that groove. As long as the cutter has the correct geometry for the thread you are machining, the mill movement will take care of the rest.
    I have two Mach 3 controlled DC motors on X 2 heads. Neither are accurate enough for tapping. You would need to add encoders I think and then maybe. Mach 3 with a servo driven spindle might work okay.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Thread milling is not really the same as tapping. You don't really need spindle control to thread mill. The cutter is actually spinning many times to cut the groove. It is the Z axis movement and interpolation of X and Y that determines thread size and pitch of that groove. As long as the cutter has the correct geometry for the thread you are machining, the mill movement will take care of the rest.
    I have two Mach 3 controlled DC motors on X 2 heads. Neither are accurate enough for tapping. You would need to add encoders I think and then maybe. Mach 3 with a servo driven spindle might work okay.
    ya, no way am I gonna go down the encoder route..... looks like a tapmatic is in my future! or a single point thread mill for that matter. thanks for your guy's input it's greatly appreciated. I figured I would ask the question no matter how dumb it sounded. I'm a machinist not a novelist, sorry for the confusion on my post. In my experiences with retrofit machines is sometimes the rpm fluctuates while milling with these cheap Spindle controls they put in the Chinese machines. With that being said I understand thread milling doesn't need a "synced" spindle to operate but if the spindle doesn't stay somewhat constant then you can have surface finish problems that will translate over to the fit/finish of the threads. This also would translate over to any helical milling/interpolation. I noticed that if I run my spindle with the resolver in the middle (roughly 1250 RPM) the spindle fluctuates. If I run wide open (2500RPM) its pretty constant. that's why I thought I would ask.
    Thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think you will have any issues with helical interpolation thread milling with these spindle controls. The RPM may fluctuate slightly but not enough to matter. As long as you have decent XY performance with minimal backlash it works fine. I have done threads down to M6x1.0mm internal and M22x1.0mm external and internal, with the same cutter. In that respect thread milling is also a lot more versatile than power tapping and probably less problematic. Just a little slower, if that's even an issue.

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LongRat View Post
    I don't think you will have any issues with helical interpolation thread milling with these spindle controls. The RPM may fluctuate slightly but not enough to matter. As long as you have decent XY performance with minimal backlash it works fine. I have done threads down to M6x1.0mm internal and M22x1.0mm external and internal, with the same cutter. In that respect thread milling is also a lot more versatile than power tapping and probably less problematic. Just a little slower, if that's even an issue.
    Thanks for the info. I feel confident now I'll be able to produce a nice thread.