Newbie X2 CNC Conversion, some questions

Thread: X2 CNC Conversion, some questions

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default X2 CNC Conversion, some questions

HF X2 shown below, with solid column and large table upgrades. Added a benchtopprecision.com belt drive, Igaging DROs, and spindle tach. Recently upgraded the spindle motor controller to a KBLC-19PM board with optional heatsink and custom enclosure. Preparing for Phase 2, CNC conversion. Was looking at the cncfusion hardware kit, but they've been unresponsive to email questions. Earlier X2 thread mentioned mbbilici.com kit, so looking into their hardware kit which looks promising. Copied this from their website "12mm diameter, 4mm pitch screw shaft and ball nut, (SF1204) C7 backlash (0.05mm)". Anyone tried their kits?

The electrical portion of the conversion seems to have an overwhelming variety of options, from individual components to various kits. Most of my mill work is aluminum with occasional steel projects, hobby use (not production), so speed isn't a priority. I'm intrigued by the ethernet smoothstepper capability as it would seem to broaden the computer configuration options. I've been looking at a 3 drive NEMA23 kit from cncrouterparts.com that uses the Leadshine MX3660 stepper motor system with choice of 420oz-in 3/8" shaft or 380oz-in 1/4" shaft stepper motors. They also offer the smoothstepper option. This look like a reasonable option? Which size motor would be best? Are there better kit options? Should I get double shaft motors to retain a manual control option? Suggestions very welcome.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X2 CNC Conversion, some questions-pic2_zpshx39zab0-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: X2 CNC Conversion, some questions

any luck? Im converting to and havent gotten a response from cncfusion.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CNCFusion is notoriously bad on delivering parts in a reasonable time and responding. I had to wait several months to receive my kit. On that note, I have had absolutely no issues with their kit since I have set it up. If you are willing to wait a couple of months, it is a nice kit.

420oz-in stepper motors is probably overkill for the X and Y axis, but might be a good idea for the Z axis. I currently have three 380oz-in stepper motors (KL23H2100-35-4B) from https://www.automationtechnologiesinc.com/ . I am using a G540 to control them. I have never had issues with losing steps.

I use LinuxCNC so I don't know about Smoothstepper specifically, but I would highly recommend something like it. Almost all the issues I have had with losing steps have been associated with software step generation from the computer. I had to get a new computer and a Mesa 5i25 (similar to smooth stepper) to fix my issues.

I personally see no reason for the double shaft motors. Once you become competent with whatever program you are using (Mach 3 or LinuxCNC) you can easily control the mill with the keyboard. Additionally, you would have to build in switches to disconnect the steppers motors from the motor driver or else you run the potential of frying it with back emf from the steppers. Also, you are making a CNC not a manual mill. That is just my two cents.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That setup is Awesome. I'm just getting started and I am new to this machine. I have been reading about using the KBLC board to upgrade the power to the motor. I bought the parts online as were recommended in several site and hooked up the wires correctly as best I can tell. I am not sure if something is wrong or just not adjusted right but the spindle sort of pulsate on and off about a second each way. Turning the potentiometer (5k) doesn't seem to do anything. also I noticed the light on the board for the ARM blinks with the pulsating. Its kind of hard to explain, just hoping maybe you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    Vinny