Newbie G0704 Conversion questions?

Thread: G0704 Conversion questions?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default G0704 Conversion questions?

Afternoon Guys,

I am doing the infamous conversion on the G0704 and have a couple questions that I can't seem to find the answer too. I purchased the ball screws and electronics from Automated Technologies who I emailed these questions too but can't get a response. Perhaps I should have used thier sales email address as opposed to the tech questions one :-)

Anyway, first, there is a slot where I can screw in a zurts (sp) fitting to grease the ball screws. What type of grease is the best to use? I searched here and found a few threads, some said oil, some grease, nothing indefinite. What are you guys using that have done this conversion?

Second, and this may have to be answered by Automated,,,,what do I set the driver dip switches too? I'm running the 570oz. and 1200oz. Nema's with the KL8056 drivers. I set the amp's to just below the rating on the motor but am unsure of the steps/pulses settings. I think I'm set at 1600 right now and the motors spin.

Anyway, I appreciate any feedback on this. I'm almost finished thanks to those who contribute to this site, just need a little more info.

Thanks,

Dust

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0704 Conversion questions?

Quote Originally Posted by 6696 View Post
    Afternoon Guys,

I am doing the infamous conversion on the G0704 and have a couple questions that I can't seem to find the answer too. I purchased the ball screws and electronics from Automated Technologies who I emailed these questions too but can't get a response. Perhaps I should have used thier sales email address as opposed to the tech questions one :-)

Anyway, first, there is a slot where I can screw in a zurts (sp) fitting to grease the ball screws. What type of grease is the best to use? I searched here and found a few threads, some said oil, some grease, nothing indefinite. What are you guys using that have done this conversion?

Second, and this may have to be answered by Automated,,,,what do I set the driver dip switches too? I'm running the 570oz. and 1200oz. Nema's with the KL8056 drivers. I set the amp's to just below the rating on the motor but am unsure of the steps/pulses settings. I think I'm set at 1600 right now and the motors spin.

Anyway, I appreciate any feedback on this. I'm almost finished thanks to those who contribute to this site, just need a little more info.

Thanks,

Dust
    The stepper resolution can determine the top (rapids) speed of your machine. So if you're driver-speed test in Mach3 is 25kHz for example, and your ballscrews are 5mm pitch, and your resolution is set to 1600steps/rev (8x microstep), then the max speed your stepper will turn is 15.625rps, or 937.5rpm. With a 5mm pitch screw that's 4687.5mm/min or about 184ipm. Although I'm not sure if you could achieve enough torque at 937rpm with your stepper/drive/PSU combo... that is to be determined. Provided you're using a dedicated motion controller card with higher step frequency, or a faster computer, you could likely use a higher drive resolution, which should give you smoother movement, at a slight loss of torque.