Build Thread I.H. Charter Z axis Hiwin rail conversion - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I.H. Charter Z axis Hiwin rail conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I.H. Charter Z axis Hiwin rail conversion

Did you have mach3 and the DRO before the conversion? If so what kind of delta were you seeing before? I was just playing with mine and setting up some tools, I get almost 0.004 sticktion / backlash without the motor running, with the motor the vibrations seem to help it settle down better but that still means I have 0.004" of play in Z (probably more under cutting forces).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did have mach3 and a DRO before that's why I could tell about the .0006 difference. Before although it worked it was not solid. The Z axis would actually bend front to back when drilling if I had the RPMs too slow and the feed too fast fast. Even though I had the dove tails as tight as I could manage without wrenching on them. Actually I should of broke drills but it bent back a bit instead giving a little flex. I was not far off the rpm and feed or I would have broken them off for sure anyway. I could stand at the side and watch the flex in the dove tails as it drilled. That's why I am trying the Hiwin rails and square blocks. So far awesome, no flex and a solid Z axis. The motor sounds better and the axis runs nice up and down. I'm jazzed. The X and Y do have some stiction but they are next. It's over a grand to fix it right but it's the perfect size and I really like the machine even more now than before. As far as the Delta question you'd have to explain what your looking for a bit better.
    I really think if all the bench top mill builders would go with Hiwin rails I think everyone would pay the difference. I don't see the big deal in doing it. Instead of wasting time cutting dove tails just cast a flat surface and machine it perfect for the rails to bolt to. It seems the Chinese could do that change over a weekend to there casting molds or make new ones. Then again I don't understand why anyone would buy a G0704 to build a CNC out of when a RF45 or I.H. Charter is available. I understand people love them and that's great, at least there in the game. It's kinda like motorcycles, It's not what you ride, it's that you ride. I do have a G0704 myself. I still can't get over how tiny it is compared to the Charter Oaks.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice conversion. Some vids would be great....

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
    I did have mach3 and a DRO before that's why I could tell about the .0006 difference. Before although it worked it was not solid. The Z axis would actually bend front to back when drilling if I had the RPMs too slow and the feed too fast fast. Even though I had the dove tails as tight as I could manage without wrenching on them. Actually I should of broke drills but it bent back a bit instead giving a little flex. I was not far off the rpm and feed or I would have broken them off for sure anyway. I could stand at the side and watch the flex in the dove tails as it drilled. That's why I am trying the Hiwin rails and square blocks. So far awesome, no flex and a solid Z axis. The motor sounds better and the axis runs nice up and down. I'm jazzed. The X and Y do have some stiction but they are next. It's over a grand to fix it right but it's the perfect size and I really like the machine even more now than before. As far as the Delta question you'd have to explain what your looking for a bit better.
    I really think if all the bench top mill builders would go with Hiwin rails I think everyone would pay the difference. I don't see the big deal in doing it. Instead of wasting time cutting dove tails just cast a flat surface and machine it perfect for the rails to bolt to. It seems the Chinese could do that change over a weekend to there casting molds or make new ones. Then again I don't understand why anyone would buy a G0704 to build a CNC out of when a RF45 or I.H. Charter is available. I understand people love them and that's great, at least there in the game. It's kinda like motorcycles, It's not what you ride, it's that you ride. I do have a G0704 myself. I still can't get over how tiny it is compared to the Charter Oaks.
    Well there are size constraints. Not everyone has a space or a means to move an RF45 style mill. And obviously the primary intentions of the mill were not CNC conversion though it is popular now. And there are some mills available for a while now with linear rails and ballscrews. It also may not be the best solution for manual use.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Well there are size constraints. Not everyone has a space or a means to move an RF45 style mill. And obviously the primary intentions of the mill were not CNC conversion though it is popular now. And there are some mills available for a while now with linear rails and ballscrews. It also may not be the best solution for manual use.
    It would be nice to have a post with all the linear rail bench top units available for people I for one may get another one for the shop and CNC it.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

It would be nice to have a post with all the linear rail bench top units available for people I for one may get another one for the shop and CNC it.
    Usually the mills with linear rails and ballscrews are already CNCd. Some examples would be SYIL, Wabeco, SkyFire if you can buy from the US distributor... There was a Canadian company, but I don't know if they're still around - MTW...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Usually the mills with linear rails and ballscrews are already CNCd. Some examples would be SYIL, Wabeco, SkyFire if you can buy from the US distributor... There was a Canadian company, but I don't know if they're still around - MTW...
    I'm talking about a RF45, I.H. Charter even the G0704 with that option. I've been looking at the Sky fire for months. A little difference from a $1500 to $2500 dollar machine to a $18,000 Skyfire or a $35,000 Haas mini mill.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm talking about a RF45, I.H. Charter even the G0704 with that option. I've been looking at the Sky fire for months. A little difference from a $1500 to $2500 dollar machine to a $18,000 Skyfire or a $35,000 Haas mini mill.
    You can buy the SkyFire as a bare-bones machine... sans electronics. Any company that sells a mill with ballscrews and linear rails would be doing it with the intent of selling it as a CNC It would be pretty difucult to manual mill on a machine with 5mm ballscrews...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome conversion!!! Any updates since having the new linear ways installed? Or some machining video?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    Awesome conversion!!! Any updates since having the new linear ways installed? Or some machining video?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk
    No videos just great machining now. No head flexing when drilling or cutting and a solid Z. I actually just ordered a Skyfire VMC2 so I may be selling the Charter conversion. The charter oaks works great I am just wanting a VMC for some production runs I'm doing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12