12 Tool ATC/Clear Path servo motor STEPS? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 12 Tool ATC/Clear Path servo motor STEPS?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 12 Tool ATC/Clear Path servo motor STEPS?

B42;
    Is the ATC design yours or did you use plans for the build. I'm toying with the idea of building an ATC for my Novakon but if there are plans available, I would definitely be interested. It's hard to believe that all the ATC's presented here on the zone are 1 offs and no one has yet to develop and either present or sell plans (other than Hoss who has been supporting us with all of his great ideas)!
    Very nice system you're putting together!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Bill, I have no problem sharing my DXF files on the ATC. My design as all can see is based on many other type carousel designs. The only difference between my own and another very similar one is the hub design. The carousels weight is held up by the ATC motor box. This way the carousel can in no way come off the shaft inside the hub and have all the tools come crashing down. The shaft in the hub goes through a sealed angular contact bearing at the base of the hub. I made it this way to take the side load for when the ATC carousel fork goes in to grab the tool from the spindle. The ATC operates very smoothly with no play at all. I had a thrust breaing in the hub at first not thinking but quickly relised that the shaft in the hub did not have any side load protection. This would of caused a failure or weak down the road. I turned the hub to make it wider and turned the hub shaft down to fit the ID of the new sealed bearing. What A night and day difference it made, very solid. The hub fits throught the ATC carousel box so really the ATC carousel box is holding all the weight of the carousel. I dont have a DXF of the shaft with the new bearing dimensions but I will put up the old one. I will look for the bearing that I used from VXB bearing when I find the model number.

Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh forgot to add, I had 150 of the plastic tool forks that grip the tool made so that I had extra for when they wear out. I think it cost me $52 total for that and they had them done quick. I used M6x1x30MM HEX BLK nylon bolts to hold the tool fork onto the carousel. I did so that if I were to have a crash it will shear the plastic bolt instead of trashing my machine. I found the bearing number I used for the hub shaft bearing. SKF 60072RS. To be clear the shaft DXF file is not dimensioned to show the new bearing. Some where I have the ATC box drawing that hold everything. I had a nema 34 motor with 5:1 planetary gear box in the ATC box at first but was way over kill so the box drawing shows the dimensions for a NEMA 34 not a NEMA 23. I made parts and modified as I went to get to the way it is now. I still need to make a door for the Carousel cover but I will do that after I have it all mounted and working.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks B42. Looking forward to seeing you system in action!
    Keep us posted.
    B

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Control box done to fit all 5 Clear Path servo motors. May have to add another power supply but If I have to will be a piece of cake to wire up as I have lots of room after getting rid of my old Power supply.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12 Tool ATC/Clear Path servo motor STEPS?-cbox-jpg   12 Tool ATC/Clear Path servo motor STEPS?-clear-path-back-panel-jpg   12 Tool ATC/Clear Path servo motor STEPS?-control-box-cp-jpg   12 Tool ATC/Clear Path servo motor STEPS?-cp-inside-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok started putting the mill back together. I have hit a few snags along the way but the bulk of the stuff is done. Will have plex glass sliding doors mounted in 2 weeks and hopefully have most of the mill put back together. Once the mill is Trammed in I will start on making the Tool changer bracket or really the tower that will hold the tool changer. Here are a few pics of the enclosure. The drawer has a bung with a hose attached to the back which runs the coolant back to tank. When time to empty the chips I just open the drawer and scoop them out. The granite is 3" thick. The base of the mill is bolted through the granite and then nutted on the under side. The base of the mill was surface ground so there is zero runout. The base does not rock at all. I am running the Clear Path Servo motors on this machine on all axis. Time will tell how well the machine runs.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12 Tool ATC/Clear Path servo motor STEPS?-enclosure1-jpg   12 Tool ATC/Clear Path servo motor STEPS?-enclosure2-jpg   12 Tool ATC/Clear Path servo motor STEPS?-enclosure3-jpg   12 Tool ATC/Clear Path servo motor STEPS?-enclosure4-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

You should probably put in a home sensor. A Normally open micro switch and also you should put a small capacitor with a resistor in series across the leads. have a bump on the stepper mount on the plate so when it 'home' it'll line up where you want. I run closed loop steppers as well and you really need a home location solution. I use induction sensors, hall effect sensors and micro switch on my home and limit switches. I can use magnetic hall effect sensors, since I don't do ferrous on my cnc 3040 fleabay pice of rotting carp.

Robi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12