Need Help! ZAY7045 motor issues

Thread: ZAY7045 motor issues

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default ZAY7045 motor issues

It has been a long time since I have posted here. The mill sat dormant for the last year as I was busy with other things. I had a small job the other night and was excited to dust it off and make some chips. Well, not so fast. When I tried to turn on the spindle, the motor hummed a bit then started turning. I shut it off then tried again. This time just humming. While in low gear I turned the power back on and gave the spindle a twist and got the motor to spin under power.

My guess, starter cap went bad?

So, I'm at a crossroads. Try to repair this motor or move to something better. I've been searching other threads, but I'm not sure what the current thoughts are. VFD + 3 phase motor is tried and true. DC motors? The machine is currently 120V, but I have 220V single phase available. I'm still running Mach3 and would love to have the motor speed controlled through Mach.

Thanks for your help and insight.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: ZAY7045 motor issues

The start caps do go bad and are cheep to replace. Do that first.

youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    The start caps do go bad and are cheep to replace. Do that first.
    Great advice. I popped the covers this morning and found 400uF and 25uf capacitors. The 400uF discharged with a nice spark, but the 25uF didn't seem to have any voltage on it. From what I can tell, the higher capacity capacitor is usually the start. So maybe the run capacitor gave up the ghost?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I picked up a new 25uF capacitor and swapped it out. The machine motor still hummed. On further investigation the FWD-REV switch was loose. It seems at some time in the past I must have broken the plastic and the small detents no longer worked. If I press and hold it in either direction the motor is reliable. Guess it's time to look for a combined e-stop and direction assembly to get this thing running again.

Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone who has upgraded to VFD will have the extra switch. I should have one somewhere.

youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99