Anyone got some idea's for organizing your bar stock and other material?

Thread: Anyone got some idea's for organizing your bar stock and other material?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone got some idea's for organizing your bar stock and other material?

I could use some guidance on organizing stock. Right now most of mine is all in a disorganized pile in a drawer. I can see whatever I do it's a good idea to keep the stock just to the left of your cutoff saw isn't it?... What else can I do to stay organized?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone got some idea's for organizing your bar stock and other material?

I used 4 inch PVC pipe and caps and some plywood to build mine. I had a small area to work in, a 2 ft x 2 ft triangle so I built a stepped box to fit in there. The upper step is about 12" above the lower step and has 3 tubes in it. I use that for the shorter bits. The lower step is about 24" from the ground and holds 7 tubes that are about 32" high. I put the longer pieces in there (up to about 5'). It is simple and space efficient and there isn't so much in any one tube that it is hard to find.

Longer stuff gets put in a corner till I have time to deal with it. The rest ends up in boxes, sometimes sorted, often not.

bob

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone got some idea's for organizing your bar stock and other material?

Check your local scrap yard, I picked up a rotating bin for short pieces, and
    a longer steel shelf for longer pieces for only scrap steel prices.
    Larry

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone got some idea's for organizing your bar stock and other material?-shorter-pieces-jpg   Anyone got some idea's for organizing your bar stock and other material?-longer-pieces-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

For longer pieces I simply put them on a metal shelving unit. Actually drawers work well in my case. For cutoffs and medium/smaller pieces I bought a couple of large steel multi drawer filing cabinets at an auction for $5 each. They are great for storing metal stock and other stuff like cans full of nuts/bolts etc. They are pretty deep drawers with heavy duty slides, so can hold pieces a little over 2ft long and quite a bit of weight each. One drawer for alum, one for steel, one for round stock etc Helps me keeps everything a bit less cluttered and disorganized. Of course If I had a large business it wouldn't suffice, but for a hobbyist it works.