New Machine Build Late to the party G0704 CNC - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Late to the party G0704 CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Late to the party G0704 CNC

Quote Originally Posted by TonyUFN View Post
    My parts came in yesterday although short the new stepper mounting screws, everything went together fine. I have to wait for Fastenal to open Monday to grab the M4 screws for the Y stepper.

I have had the X axis on my mind though and figure I need to clean up the ball mount pocket a bit as it drags towards each end. I figure the screw is binding due to a ball mount misalignment putting a flex somewhere.
    I'd also look at the bottom of the table to see if the nut is hitting the casting of the table.

A few of us have had this be the issue for end of X axis travel binding.

Andrew

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles84 View Post
    I'd also look at the bottom of the table to see if the nut is hitting the casting of the table.

A few of us have had this be the issue for end of X axis travel binding.

Andrew
    It is a common problem, see thread:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...31570-cnc.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalfixer View Post
    It is a common problem, see thread:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bencht...31570-cnc.html
    yes and no, luck of the draw I guess?

I dont think mine was to bad.

Can't find an after pic. only took like .030" to even it out across.

Andrew

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Since regular work took some time away as well as the over-sized enclosure I built... I haven't done the tear-down to move it yet.
    I'll most likely attempt milling a small screw recess across the X on the saddle as I've seen in a couple other builds. Maybe that will resolve it.
    I haven't been over to the other shop at all this week, but should have all the parts here since my Fastenal visit on Monday.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just finished re-assembling the X axis after milling out a recess for the screw across the whole saddle. Now it seems to be able to handle the full travel of the axis.
    I'm just getting started re-assembling and final fitting. Possibly more pictures tomorrow once it's in it's cabinet.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Enclosure done for the most part. Starting to put together my quick change drawbar and still need to plumb coolant. But I didn't want to start plumbing without the drawbar and belt-drive being done first.
    I ordered a little something while still waiting for "in-stock" pulleys for the belt drive from BTP to be shipped(emailed last week,which he said would be shipped... still hasn't)

*BTP Update: I emailed again today as a reminder that "this week" was well underway and almost gone. While dealing with the lathe fiasco I posted about below... I received a tracking number.

I decided to go ahead and order a G0602 while I was waiting :/
    After seeing someone elses post about using a Lowe's workbench for it, I decided to go for it. Big brown truck is expected today and I've already framed up a small temporary wall & heavy rafter for lifting onto the bench.
    The plan is to remove the bench, roll the lathe into position and lift, slide bench under it. Hope that works out. lol

Anyway... shop corner pic, including the temporary "lifting wall"

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Late to the party G0704 CNC-g0602bench2-jpg  
    Last edited by TonyUFN; 04-06-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

for those wondering...

I used what I mostly had on-hand... ESS, 2x C10, C6. I moved the griz motor boards down below with the rest of the electronics and used the brake to fab some metal covers for some of the noisier boards which aren't attached for the pic.
    48v PSU, 12v PSU, 5v PSU. The C6 is powered from a "wall-wart" pictured at the top right.
    I still have some wiring changes to make(replacing wire with permanent instead of "white scrap" for testing)
    Everything is mounted via stand-offs on removable panels on the back wall of the base cabinet.

Late to the party G0704 CNC-motioncontrol-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, isn't that just about my luck...
    rough crate arrives, but seems; meh, ok I guess... considering how Grizzly equipment comes packed.
    Uncrate to find plenty of oil on the small pallet and foot/case casting cracked and door bent to heck.

Kinda wondering how Grizzly is going to handle this. UPS BOL was noted and pictures taken of the rough state of the pallet and crate. But the carnage wasn't visible until the top of the crate was removed.

UPDATE: The castings are NOT cracked. The gearbox case and rear gearbox cover seem to be separated. a few cap screws were in the channel of the bed near the bolts and one under the plastic. We're trying to figure out a quick disassembly and reassembly to inspect for more damage. right now I'm hoping it's just the bent door.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Late to the party G0704 CNC-20170406_132620-jpg   Late to the party G0704 CNC-20170406_132658-jpg  
    Last edited by TonyUFN; 04-06-2017 at 05:31 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Who is the maker of your cnc kit rather buy from the maker than the middleman.

Hopefully my mill will ship in the next couple days.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hanau View Post
    Who is the maker of your cnc kit rather buy from the maker than the middleman.

Hopefully my mill will ship in the next couple days.
    I'm not positive on how the forum deals with links, etc. So I sent the information via PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Things have come so far in both of my builds. The 0602 as well as the 0704... they are deserving of re-plating. Figured I'd share the idea, which I initially got from a facebook posting.
    My take:
    When you come so far and hit a certain point, that cheap-a$$ chinese tool that you bought... barely resembles it's former self.
    It has a piece of you inside and most of it's functional parts have been upgraded or replaced each time increasing it's functionality or performance... it is no longer "bought"... it's "built".

Taking a scrap lid from a box and tossing it into the fiber laser to see if I like the layout... I'll do the permanent plates once everything it 100% dialed in and all mods are 100% done.
    Late to the party G0704 CNC-20170421_110647-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice build buddy, I like the plate idea! I have been wanting to do that too mine for far too long now. You may have pushed me to finally do that

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's about time I did something a little "more" to this little guy. So I reinstalled the Tach, but figured something easily visible would be nice.
    I'm making up a flood coolant manifold for mounting on the head as well, just haven't finished up the 1/4npt threads for the nozzles yet.
    I plan to change the belt drive this coming week and accommodate a 1-1/2hp motor.
    I ham-fisted together the current motor mounts which I'm not happy with obviously, but raw stock is on the way for new plates, risers and a couple new pulleys.

Late to the party G0704 CNC-20170430_161716-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I went through the same ordeal with the crappy kits from AT. They link to all those videos showing the rear mounted X axis too. I didn't even realize they sent me a front mount until I had already gone through the trouble of boring the hole in the back of the column. I sent AT an email with some images comparing what was on their site to what they actually sent me, but they never responded. I just went ahead and installed the front mount just to be done with it. The rest of the parts were pretty much a joke too. I had to redrill holes, trim the Y-axis plates to get the coupler to reach, grind the X axis mount for the motor to fit... just crappy workmanship everywhere. My X axis ball nut rubbed the bottom of the ways too.

Since the drive shaft sticks out the back of the stepper, seems like you could still put a hand wheel on there and run it manually. It would look like a hack, but should still function.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted."

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12