Need Help! Need help putting together a 3 axis setup on ShopMaster mill/lathe for Linux CNC

Thread: Need help putting together a 3 axis setup on ShopMaster mill/lathe for Linux CNC

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need help putting together a 3 axis setup on ShopMaster mill/lathe for Linux CNC

Not sure what category i should post this in, but here I go.

I have posted looking for help several times to get my setup working that was put together by a friend several years ago, and its a wiring mess.

I figured it may be easier to just tear it down and start over instead of chasing old problems in wiring that I dont understand.

I have all the parts and it was working previously for several months. The BOB had some burn marks on it so I ordered a different one that someone recommended, a C-10 i believe, but have no idea how to impliment it with the system as it is.

If anyone is willing to help I can get the info on all my parts if needed. I am good at wiring and such, but the way this was put together the first time is so confusing to me that I am scared to touch it unassisted.

I am using it now as if its a manual with auto feed, but it shuts down and errors out a lot, so i dont even attempt to run programs.

Thanks to anyone willing to assist !!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help putting together a 3 axis setup on ShopMaster mill/lathe for Linux CNC

Quote Originally Posted by MAG45 View Post
    Not sure what category i should post this in, but here I go.

I have posted looking for help several times to get my setup working that was put together by a friend several years ago, and its a wiring mess.

I figured it may be easier to just tear it down and start over instead of chasing old problems in wiring that I dont understand.

I have all the parts and it was working previously for several months. The BOB had some burn marks on it so I ordered a different one that someone recommended, a C-10 i believe, but have no idea how to impliment it with the system as it is.

If anyone is willing to help I can get the info on all my parts if needed. I am good at wiring and such, but the way this was put together the first time is so confusing to me that I am scared to touch it unassisted.

I am using it now as if its a manual with auto feed, but it shuts down and errors out a lot, so i dont even attempt to run programs.

Thanks to anyone willing to assist !!
    All you need is the wiring diagram from the first Bob and transfer those connections to the new Bob same terminals, its really pretty simple.. if you aren't up to speed with that, then I would strongly suggest starting at square one with learning it yourself. Having someone else help you build a cnc system is the absolute worst thing you could do. You're living the repercussions of that right now, and diy stuff will require service repair etc and you'll be back here again no wiser than you are now.

Depending on the software you are using, or is Linux cnc, I would start there and read the manual/wiki, it explains everything you would need to wire the system yourself. You could also make a project out of it to clean the mess up and make a neat clean and easy to service control cabinet that will most likely help eliminate burning out components from bad wiring. Linux cnc is excellent but not as easy to setup as Mach 3 or the masso setup. If you read the Linux cnc wiki and feel in over your head, you may consider restarting with masso or mach3, they have a much easier setup that will give you basic fundamentals much faster.

So read, design a schematic for all of your system, then design a cabinet layout for your electronics components, then implement your plan. This is a big challenge in this hobby and not one you should rely on other people's work for unless they are willing to offer after support for their work. By doing it properly yourself, you should have a nice schematic to refer back to for service, upgrades or repairs.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Need help putting together a 3 axis setup on ShopMaster mill/lathe for Linux CNC

I totally agree, I was in a wheel chair when my friend did this for me and I wasnt able to get my hands in there and figure it out. The BoB in there now is one he built from a kit, and the instructions on my new one dont seem to crossover. Pls the relays he added for the power and E-stop seem to be totally opposite of how my head thinks they should work.

It is Linux CNC now, but willing to change, especially if i can go windows based, im lost in linux. Im going to look at the others now.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would strongly consider the masso, it better than a Windows based system and much easier than Linux cnc, is a dedicated control with on board computer so it simplifies everything. Just connect your motor drives and inputs and outputs, configure and go!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have not heard of the Masso system until now, looks really nice, but out of my price range at this time.

Downloads
    Uploads

For LinuxCNC, are you running direct of the PC parallel port or are you running mesa cards?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Through a P-port to a BoB

Downloads
    Uploads

Are you aware of all components on your machine being controlled or being used as feedback? Example, spindle control, home/limit switches, number of motors and drives for axis'. Running a tool plate or touch probe? List out any and all items connected to the Bob.

Are you familiar with the setup in LinuxCNC? There should be a configuration file/page stating what pin assignments are for inputs and outputs. If you can find and identify that it will help keep you from being to reconfigure after rewiring the new BOB.

The c10 is a very basic BOB, if your previous BOB was more feature rich you may have issues or require additional components. An example of this is spindle control.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Once i get my hands in there and start im sure i can figure it out, I just need something that gives me an understanding of what/why things are done as they are now. And a better understanding of the jumper settings and details of the new BOB, the cnc4pc manual just confuses me more, making me shy away from doing it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    Are you aware of all components on your machine being controlled or being used as feedback? Example, spindle control, home/limit switches, number of motors and drives for axis'. Running a tool plate or touch probe? List out any and all items connected to the Bob.

Are you familiar with the setup in LinuxCNC? There should be a configuration file/page stating what pin assignments are for inputs and outputs. If you can find and identify that it will help keep you from being to reconfigure after rewiring the new BOB.

The c10 is a very basic BOB, if your previous BOB was more feature rich you may have issues or require additional components. An example of this is spindle control.

Yes, I have all the stepconfig and hal info written in a book from when it was first set up, and have made changes to add in backlash compensation and such.

I only have home/limit switches (same switch) 3 stepper motor run from geko drives, E-stop switch somehow wired into to the main power using relays, and a power drain 'light bulb' I want to add a reluctor/tach wheel or whatever it takes to be able to use the lathe for threading eventually.

The BOB in there now is even more basic then the c10, it was a kit he put together and not very well it seems.

I can get pictures of all the individual parts if you think it would help.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is why you need to understand the components used. Jumpers are for changing a few things for the BOB to work with different components. You need to know your components to know which jumper settings to use. They can change inputs or outputs from being sourcing or sinking as well as change certain pins from being inputs or outputs.

If I were you, I would get out a blank sheet of paper and draw a box for every component connected to the BOB. Get as much information from those components and write it all down in those boxes. You need an inventory of your machine to know what is being used to know how to set up the BOB to work with your existing components and or make changes in the setup file. Go do that and post up what you have. If in doubt take pictures of everything. Switches should have data on them such as NPN-NO, NPN-NC, PNP-NO, PNP-NC etc.. this dictates some of the jumper settings. Also they should have voltage listings on them so you can verify the method being used to wire them. If you are using relays, need to know about that as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That makes sense, I will try to do that this weekend.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MAG45 View Post
    That makes sense, I will try to do that this weekend.
    In fact while you're doing that, may as well build an existing schematic of the system, do it similar to how cnc4pc shows their's. It's worth a thousand posts

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, im back, got sidetracked building my Moms house, but now Im back to this.

Here is a drawing of the components i have minus limit/home switches i forgot. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

And here is the current mess im starting with Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet and Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Tomorrow im going to go follow wires and see if i can trace what they are going to, mainly from the yellow cabinet control switches.